HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:25 PM
Registered User
av8soulfly's Avatar
SoCal
Joined May 2004
359 Posts
Discussion
Best Lost and Found

KenRacer found his canopy on Parker...and I got to thinking about how many of us have lost stuff....and then found it some time later. What's your best lost and found story?
av8soulfly is offline Find More Posts by av8soulfly
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Registered User
av8soulfly's Avatar
SoCal
Joined May 2004
359 Posts
Mine? I lost my F-5 at Cajon Summit. It took me 3 weeks to find it... equalling about 9 trips... equalling about 18 hours of searching among the rattlesnakes and ticks. I still have that plane today and it flies...IT FLIES!!!
av8soulfly is offline Find More Posts by av8soulfly
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:36 PM
Registered User
slopemeno's Avatar
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Jan 2003
6,806 Posts
A local flier lost a combat wing out at Tick Point, and anybody who has searched for a plane there knows how thick the brush is down the hill. It's incredibly thick, and sometimes 6-7' deep, and loaded with ticks, poison oak, and raspberry crawlers.

Later, this guy modifies his "Mongo" 100" wing to carry a video camera. He put a joiner in the wing, and slid the wing apart to carry the camera, looking down between the wing halves. He'd fly the Mongo like that and make runs up and down the slope for months looking for the lost combat wing, and then look at the tape when he got home.

Eventually, he spotted something yellow waaay down the hill. He drew a map and noted some landmarks. he navigated his way down the hill and there was his combat wing- four years later. he charged up the battery and flew it. Fortunately it had landed upside down so all the rain of four winters had run off of it. He did recover it later, as the black Towerkote on the bottom of the wing had faded badly.

Me personally- I'm still wondering what happened to the 48" Razor I lost back in 1998.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
No fuse too fat
slopeiron's Avatar
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Well, not plane related but - I lost the keys to my truck a couple of days ago but figured they must be around somewhere so did not spend any time looking for them until this morning. I finally found them still in the ignition with the ignition in the on position. Don't ask me how I left it in the on position because if I had, the truck would still have been running when I got out of it. The batteries were as dead as a door nail this morning. The starter solenoid would not even click. Will have to try the charger tonight. Hopefully they will still take a charge. But at least I found my keys!
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:25 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
steve wenban's Avatar
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
22,658 Posts
I lost my mind, really never did find it again , think it went the same place I lost my last Jart
But then again we found that after 12 months or what was left of it DOH!!!
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: done
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:35 PM
3D Toy Designer
MicroRotors's Avatar
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeiron View Post
Well, not plane related but - I lost the keys to my truck a couple of days ago but figured they must be around somewhere so did not spend any time looking for them until this morning. I finally found them still in the ignition with the ignition in the on position. Don't ask me how I left it in the on position because if I had, the truck would still have been running when I got out of it. The batteries were as dead as a door nail this morning. The starter solenoid would not even click. Will have to try the charger tonight. Hopefully they will still take a charge. But at least I found my keys!
Was their gas in it, ... seems you might have left it running, ... well until it runs out of gas.
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:29 PM
No fuse too fat
slopeiron's Avatar
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors View Post
Was their gas in it, ... seems you might have left it running, ... well until it runs out of gas.
Honestly, sounds like something I would do, but in this case I don't think so. The truck has a 12 valve Cummins in it and I would have heard it rumbling away in my driveway.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:34 PM
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,930 Posts
Back when I smoked a pipe I couldn't find it one day.

The wife pointed it out in the corner of my mouth.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:47 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Phil.Taylor's Avatar
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
I lost my mind, really never did find it again !!!
Sometimes, just sometimes, someone posts something, that really does make me...
laugh out loud

Phil.
lost it long ago - not expecting to find it anytime soon
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Oct 11, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hipster, apparently
gizzo's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
A local flier lost a combat wing out at Tick Point, and anybody who has searched for a plane there knows how thick the brush is down the hill. It's incredibly thick, and sometimes 6-7' deep, and loaded with ticks, poison oak, and raspberry crawlers.

Later, this guy modifies his "Mongo" 100" wing to carry a video camera. He put a joiner in the wing, and slid the wing apart to carry the camera, looking down between the wing halves. He'd fly the Mongo like that and make runs up and down the slope for months looking for the lost combat wing, and then look at the tape when he got home.

Eventually, he spotted something yellow waaay down the hill. He drew a map and noted some landmarks. he navigated his way down the hill and there was his combat wing- four years later. he charged up the battery and flew it. Fortunately it had landed upside down so all the rain of four winters had run off of it. He did recover it later, as the black Towerkote on the bottom of the wing had faded badly.
That's an awesome lost and found! Such a lot of effort for a combat wing.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Registered User
dugout's Avatar
Hobart
Joined Jun 2007
743 Posts
On our annual NYE camping trip I took my Jart V for a fly off the dunes. The flight was very short. after 5 mins or so I think the batteries went flat and she raced at what seemed a millin mles an hour way over the back of the dunes. I had a look for it but no luck.

363 days later I was flying off the same dunes, when I landed,(broke), my last plane I decided to go for a walk. Up the first dune, nothing, then scrub bashed to a higher one. and then what did I see? a small red tail sticking out of the scrub! then followed 40 mins of bashing crashing and flailing through trees, scrub and ferns. even found a hawk nest with chicks in it. Smiling a scratched I walked on the beach with my long lost jart!

and would you belive that some of the electronis still worked?!
dugout is offline Find More Posts by dugout
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:45 PM
3D Toy Designer
MicroRotors's Avatar
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,187 Posts
I love the spider , ... was it dead or alive.

Also, ... you son looks a little bummed that you found it.

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
No fuse too fat
slopeiron's Avatar
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Egads! That's a nice sized spider. Any idea what he is? Not a Funnel Web is it? Glad you got your plane back.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
I lost my Bee, and found it in someone's closed garage.
Story here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13665

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:41 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Dragon 2's Avatar
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
2,917 Posts
I lost my sunglasses at the bottom of one of our slopes. One year later I was on top of the slope and saw something shining at the bottom. I walked down and found my lenses about a foot apart, but no frames.This was in Telluride . Very weird
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Lost my plane today... FOUND!!! IBCrazy FPV Aircraft 96 Aug 22, 2011 08:45 AM
Discussion Lost my plane today. (FOUND) :) flopp FPV Aircraft 32 Aug 21, 2011 07:45 PM
Discussion FPV Stryker Build Log - LOST & FOUND!!! jkarnacki FPV Talk 70 Aug 18, 2011 01:26 AM
Whoops! Lost my plane - Found It! GPS tracking Rules! But.... iacei FPV Aircraft 23 Aug 09, 2011 05:23 PM
Discussion Lost and found lost and found lost and found.... BlindSpot Micro Ready-to-Fly 1 Feb 26, 2007 11:49 AM