HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:34 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Discussion
Best COMPACT Antenna Tracking pan and tilt (for GROUND STATION Patch)?

Hi guys,

I have my Patch antenna from my FPV Plane flying days, that I would now like to integrate into a very minimalist ground station setup, for flying multicopters FPV.

This is due to the nature that these type of craft could be directly above, just hovering, or potentially in a number of directions around my land position.

Whats the best, plus most compact, antenna tracking pan and tilt out there at the moment?
I do understand this will require probably some kind of OSD/GPS on the model, for it to "know" where to point in relation to me on the ground.

Any feedback appreciated.
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Last edited by SkyEyes; Oct 11, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:22 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
You will probably want to avoid tilt unless you have a circualarly polarized antenna on the copter. If you must have tilt, limit it to 45 degrees of tilt. The reason is polarization loss is a huge problem with tracking.

Two places to check are UrbanDrones.com and ReadymadeRC.com. Both of these have relatively small trackers that mount to tripods.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:33 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Hi IBCrazy, thankyou for your prompt feedback plus guidance, really appreciative of someone with such a highly regarded status such as yourself - plus I know, I do really need one of your "special" cloverleaf antennas.

Thats interesting, notes taken. Will take a look at those sources you list.
So potentially I should have the Patch positioned on its base at say a 45 degree angle skyward, then just have a Pan mechanism, that'll rotate "effectively" 360 degrees around, to cover the direction the Copter might be flying in?
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Last edited by SkyEyes; Oct 11, 2011 at 08:44 AM.