HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:25 AM
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Apr 2009
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydawg1 View Post
I didn't like the look of the fin, and the more I played with it, the more it didn't look rite ... so I took the best drawing I had and blew it up, then copied it ...
My eye loves it!
I like the little bit extra and the rearward slant.
Sandd is offline Find More Posts by Sandd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,002 Posts
that thing is looking bad arrrssss!!!!
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:42 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,142 Posts
the "wing ferry"...

never did show so I was forced to build my own ...
I am at a point in the build where I need the wing on the fuse so I can set up the tail. I think I wanna glass this wing as opposed to solartex so I pose to you these questions ...
1. is there any "real" advantage to bagging verses just glassing ?
2. do you glass with the ailerons on, then cut them off (or) glass seperately ?
dutchydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by dutchydawg1
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:33 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,895 Posts
Bagging will make it lighter because you get all of the excess resin out of the cloth. You will also get a nice finish. Just a little sanding on the LE is all you will have to do. We bag the whole wing and then cut the ailerons off. But we install a 1/2" balsa sub-TE before bagging and then cut down the middle of it, so there is something to hinge into.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:15 AM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,142 Posts
blame tflg !

while looking at the fuse one late nite in tflg's garage ... tflg "suggested" I narrow the canopy a bit ... I also reshaped the forward cowl to look more 109 ish
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 AM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,142 Posts
proportion check.

looks about rite
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:53 AM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,142 Posts
"tweaking"

were getting "there" .....
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:58 AM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
Lookin slick there DD. So, to make sure I'm on the same page where your going with this baby is: its a focke wolf 190 "but" you swapped the place of the 9 with the 0 thus making it a hybrid using the dominant genes of the 2 legendary birds making it a wolf 109?
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:04 AM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,063 Posts
Sorry to butt in.....Can't put my finger on it, but to my eyes something's not right with the wing......or stab.....or both...
Your shop mate though,..... is delightful!

Matin
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,237 Posts
I think the stab needs more taper.....but what do I know?
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,043 Posts
I agree with Matin. It looks like you still have "sleek racer" on the mind. It needs a more menacing "Beasty" look. I'd suggest bringing the wing up higher in the fuse and lose the squared off wing tips--round them out similar to the tail.
Artsloper is online now Find More Posts by Artsloper
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsloper View Post
I agree with Matin. It looks like you still have "sleek racer" on the mind. It needs a more menacing "Beasty" look. I'd suggest bringing the wing up higher in the fuse and lose the squared off wing tips--round them out similar to the tail.
Once the fillets are on it the wing will look higher. All the old slope scale planes looked the same until you bondo'd the fillets in. I too think the wing tips will look better with round style (me-109) tips. But that's just minutia and has nothing to do with the fuse plug.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:16 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,895 Posts
Yes, it has been evolving to a sleeker design. As far as menacing goes, I thought the 190 gun deck had a little more of that. But we still have the fuse extension in the tail which is one of the elements that contribute to that "reptilian" look.

Anyway, sleek is good when you are talking about gliders and I think this is going to be both a good looking and a good flying plane. It is going to look a lot meaner with some sharky looking camo, markings and some dirty weathering.

Edit: BTW, I think bringing the fuse in on the sides of the nose was a good call. Makes it a little more angular on top where the gun ports are. Looks good!
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Last edited by slopeiron; Jun 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:53 PM
Team member-One day PSS Build!
Corona, CA.
Joined Sep 2003
1,453 Posts
The exhaust,fillets and details will take care of the toughness. I would not narrow the fuse anymore. I think I agree that rounding the tips some will help. The overall looks very well balanced. I like Russ's idea of a gun blister to add some interesting features.
Carlski is offline Find More Posts by Carlski
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeiron View Post
yes, it has been evolving to a sleeker design. As far as menacing goes, i thought the 190 gun deck had a little more of that. But we still have the fuse extension in the tail which is one of the elements that contribute to that "reptilian" look. :d

anyway, sleek is good when you are talking about gliders and i think this is going to be both a good looking and a good flying plane. It is going to look a lot meaner with some sharky looking camo, markings and some dirty weathering.

Edit: Btw, i think bringing the fuse in on the sides of the nose was a good call. Makes it a little more angular on top where the gun ports are. Looks good!
"thank you" !