HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:23 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
---I didn't see this much of a fuss when RamTech came out with their obvious Dynamax copy---And it wasn't the Chinese that built it...
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
There was a crease in the plan
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
---I didn't see this much of a fuss when RamTech came out with their obvious Dynamax copy---And it wasn't the Chinese that built it...
Where would you have seen the fuss, no internet in them days.

Yes, apart from the different blade count, different pitch and a different number of Stators its such a bloody rip off, that by being black and having the same OD.

Apart from being able to convert the torque much better from an OS91,...: hang on, that must have meant the did some R&D work as well. That's really bad form for a ripoff outfit.
Steve Haynes is offline Find More Posts by Steve Haynes
Last edited by Steve Haynes; Oct 12, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:16 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Man that 120mm fan looks mean. Ive got a nice low Kv 1521/2.5y here waiting for it. Bring them on X-Flight.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:34 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Haynes View Post
Where would you have seen the fuss, no internet in them days.

Yes, apart from the different blade count, different pitch and a different number of Stators its such a bloody rip off, that by being black and having the same OD.

Apart from being able to convert the torque much better from an OS91,...: hang on, that must have meant the did some R&D work as well. That's really bad form for a ripoff outfit.
I knew this was coming....What did the world do before the internet???.......I was a ducted fan columnist at the time and kept up with what was going on around the world...EVERYONE knew to increase thrust on the Dynamax you removed half of the stators and used JB Weld to fill in the screw holes...Then, a guy named Ralph Dibiasse (SP??) out of Florida was re-pitching Dynamax fans to load the fan more for the newly released OS .91---After all, the Dynamax was originally designed for the OS .65---Low and behold...The RAMTECH was born with its re-pitched blades and lower stator count....What a surprise?!?!?!????...Didn't take much engineering skill to take what was already a given and sell it...Don't try to trump me...I've been doing this longer than most......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,445 Posts
Quote:
Yes, apart from the different blade count, different pitch and a different number of Stators its such a bloody rip off, that by being black and having the same OD. Apart from being able to convert the torque much better from an OS91,...: hang on, that must have meant the did some R&D work as well. That's really bad form for a ripoff outfit.
LOL
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Quote:
I knew this was coming....What did the world do before the internet???.......I was a ducted fan columnist at the time and kept up with what was going on around the world...EVERYONE knew to increase thrust on the Dynamax you removed half of the stators and used JB Weld to fill in the screw holes...Then, a guy named Ralph Dibiasse (SP??) out of Florida was re-pitching Dynamax fans to load the fan more for the newly released OS .91---After all, the Dynamax was originally designed for the OS .65---Low and behold...The RAMTECH was born with its re-pitched blades and lower stator count....What a surprise?!?!?!????...Didn't take much engineering skill to take what was already a given and sell it...Don't try to trump me...I've been doing this longer than most......

Kevin
it has a different number of blades?

It was a new development based on the failings of a unit that was designed for less power. The tables are turned however because what was a failing for the Dynamax in that scenario is now an advantage with electric power.

Ok, it was great in its original scenario. But users had to modify and re pitch it to make it better. Then one user said "Oh I can't be a$$sd with this, why screw around with this unit when what the market needs is a better one, I know I will take a cash development risk and make a better one". Where is the re-pitched low Stators blade count Dynamax that Tom developed anyway?

Did he start shipping units with instructions how to modify them?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:12 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,445 Posts
Quote:
I've been doing this longer than most......
Kevin
How often do we hear this....
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Oct 12, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Making an inferior copy of something and selling it as the original is illegal.

Making an inferior copy of something and selling it for less means buyer beware.

Making something that follows a trend that fufills a market niche that others don't address is good marketing.

Making something that is a quantifiable improvement on existing units or current market leaders is progress.

The fact that a number of IC fans found new life as electric proves you never waste money spending on development of quality products and IPR.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:06 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
How often do we hear this....
When I read Kevin mention Ralph Dibiasse, I'd say give Kevin some respect simply because if you don't know of Ralf then how could think what you thought?. That man(Ralph) has helped pioneer the DF world, talk about copying take at good look a BVM. Don't worry its all good.... I don't even know Kevin but I do know Ralph and pick his brain regularly!
Tom J
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Oct 13, 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:13 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Amazing discussion...

Who's copying who?
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:10 PM
USA, TX, Plano
Joined May 2009
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaticus View Post
Amazing discussion...

Who's copying who?
well said . I glad I did not put in my $500 dollar for a stunmax fan.
mwhiteknight is offline Find More Posts by mwhiteknight
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:16 PM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
839 Posts
Quote:
it has a different number of blades?

It was a new development based on the failings of a unit that was designed for less power. The tables are turned however because what was a failing for the Dynamax in that scenario is now an advantage with electric power.

Ok, it was great in its original scenario. But users had to modify and re pitch it to make it better. Then one user said "Oh I can't be a$$sd with this, why screw around with this unit when what the market needs is a better one, I know I will take a cash development risk and make a better one". Where is the re-pitched low Stators blade count Dynamax that Tom developed anyway?

Did he start shipping units with instructions how to modify them?
Funny I am repitching Ramtec blades. Works great.

Will it ever end.
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhiteknight View Post
well said . I glad I did not put in my $500 dollar for a stunmax fan.
Well... I have a $500 Stumax 100-45! I have $15 EDFs too.

Its the right tool for the right job at the right price!

...and the definition of "right" depend on the individual

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:33 AM
Distributed Manufacturing
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2009
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Guilty!!
Was wondering when you were going to come along in this thread and confess your sins.

All joking aside, the fact that even Jim understands that no one should be taking this as some kind of surprise or offence should just about sum it up.

Eewwww....I'm agreeing with Jim Dew.......Grrrooooooossssssss. I have to go take a shower now.
Quixksilver is offline Find More Posts by Quixksilver
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Mar 2007
436 Posts
sounds awesome!
did you have to do much to balance out the fan?
Brutikus is offline Find More Posts by Brutikus