HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I've got that motor and it's 39.78mm vs 39.54mm, you'll have to do shave some of the motor casing to get it to fit but that's no big deal.

I haven't tested mine with it, too many toys to put in the air...

It's not light, my fan weighed 7oz and that motor is 15.5oz also, the end caps can be screwed off. On a TACON 2000kv 40mm diameter motor I have screwed the caps off and drilled holes in both ends for cooling.

It'll be interesting to see what this motor will do on 7s, HK sells the SUPPO escs that have been VERY stable for me at 7s and should put our some nice watts without hold heat. That motor most likely wouldn't hold heat either, it's pretty big..I doubt if you could just demag it or burn windings like smaller motors.

Would make a great, nice sounding budget setup that does some very good thrust numbers at the cost of around 5oz of extra weight.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:28 PM
Fly it like you stole it !
Australia, QLD, Coolum Beach
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham d View Post
Received mine too. Quality looks good but seems fairly heavy.
Will be trying a Suxfly 3674 1620KV on 6S to start off with. The motor has got the big holes in the front and back.
Will advise on numbers.

Any handy tips on balancing this fan?
Graham mate - You gotta worry about something called a SUXFLY !
Do you have a link for data on this one?
B
bobbit4447 is offline Find More Posts by bobbit4447
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbit4447 View Post
Graham mate - You gotta worry about something called a SUXFLY !
Do you have a link for data on this one?
B
LOL!!!

Yeah, I saw the name on the side of the motors I recieved and thought the same thing.

Here's the link (link)

Those motors wont do above 2400 watts constantly, their windings will last but the magnets will not cool. The casing is built to not let out heat and I think that's the main issue. If you have an alloy fan shroud you'll prolly fair better.

There is this motor I would try out if I didn't bust my budget totally this month and I had more time (link)...it has lower internal resistance than the Suxfly motor and is less in cost.

The end cap comes off too so one can drill holes to reduce heat, might be great for heat reduction.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,312 Posts
Lol! When I saw the SUXFLY name thought it was a joke or a bit or sarcasm, but I guess not.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
we will talk later... after I balance mine.. and if it works.. all these back to you falcon.. just don't erase your account.. I will be back for you because Ive done this b4
Okey dokey.. I'll be here.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:52 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Lol! When I saw the SUXFLY name thought it was a joke or a bit or sarcasm, but I guess not.
I get emails from a lipo battery company called "Billowy Batteries" Haha
wingspan100 is online now Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:47 PM
Fly it like you stole it !
Australia, QLD, Coolum Beach
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
My take on cs/12........0n 6S...........
* There are 6S setups out there operating successfully, we have seen the vids - we just need to find out what motors they are using.
* the motor manufacturers watt rating is a guide only.
* High amps by itself is not a problem - we can get 200A ESC's from HK for $40.
* The main problem seems to be getting rid of the heat generated - If the heat cannot be dissipated quicker than it is being generated then the motor will burn out every time.
* Holes in the can may help, but not necessarily. There need to be a pressure difference between the can ends to have an airflow. Since the airflow is turbulent at the hub this may not be so - longintudinal fins will certainly help.
Its a matter of finding the motor best constructed to handle the heat.
B
bobbit4447 is offline Find More Posts by bobbit4447
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
Drilling holes to balance? I often wondered how using a pin vise drill and hole the end of a blade or two at the thick part of the airfoil to balance? Also I rotate the hub when using a prop balancer, get it good and check again after rotating the hub.

Billowy Battery Co is a subsity of Tunder Power!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:33 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,028 Posts
what size motor does the 12blade fit 36mm or the 39mm HET etc ?
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,760 Posts
39mm motors
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Give NEU a try.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,312 Posts
Quote:
My take on cs/12........0n 6S...........
* There are 6S setups out there operating successfully, we have seen the vids - we just need to find out what motors they are using.
* the motor manufacturers watt rating is a guide only.
* High amps by itself is not a problem - we can get 200A ESC's from HK for $40.
* The main problem seems to be getting rid of the heat generated - If the heat cannot be dissipated quicker than it is being generated then the motor will burn out every time.
* Holes in the can may help, but not necessarily. There need to be a pressure difference between the can ends to have an airflow. Since the airflow is turbulent at the hub this may not be so - longintudinal fins will certainly help.
B
Guess its a secret. My fan is enroute just need to find this mysterious motor that CS shows in video. The only motors I've seen are too low of an amp or don't have holes to vent the heat.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:36 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,648 Posts
Just because you have holes does not mean you will "vent" any heat. You have to have air flowing through the motor to dissipate heat and I just do not see how that is possible with this fan. If I had to guess I would say there is a 3mm gap between the fan and the shroud when mounted and there is not going to be much (any) flow into the motor. The only way I can see air making it through the motor is if there was a small fan at the back of the motor pulling it through. Just my thoughts, but I dont think air flow through those Tacon motors is going keep them from demagging.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,595 Posts
I wish fans manufacturers would give calculated rpm to thrust figures so we could figure out amps, RPMs and cell count ourselves. The only way we have to get RPM to thrust is reading RCG or doing the experiments ourselves, even on 500 - 600 dollar fans the RPM to thrust isn't given.

This rotor has very similar static RPM\thrust as the 7 blade haoye rotor. 7 blade Haoye rotor will do > 5lbs of thrust at 31000 calculated RPM. Flip Flop did very similar thrust numbers without a lip earlier in the thread. 1900kv motor will give > 9lbs of thrust on 6s 21 volts around 140 amps, from there you can calculate up to 14s (himodel ICE esc, anyone try one of these? only 90 bucks) to get the KV of the motor for higher cell counts. Using some of the HK 40mm diameter motors were you don't have to be so concerned about frying the windings..you just have to expand the CS\12 can hole around .55mm or so.

HobbyPartz sells a TACON 2000kv 40mm x 75m motor that sounds perfect for those who hate their 6 cell packs. It wont burn up motor windings or demag, I still drill holes on the top and the bottom of the can for venting. The Can ends are screwed on so it's an easy thing to do but I flew my FF 100 today and the esc and motor weren't even warm to the touch after flight on a FF 6 blade around 2500 watts constant.

For those who don't hate their batteries this motor here from HK (link) looks like it's perfect for an 8s run with the HK 190\200 amp esc (it'll do 8s) and slightly tapped up timing on the ESC.

For 12 and 14s the HK 850 motor here (link) is right on the button for > 10lbs of get gone, I've done > 9lbs on this fan with an 810kv TACON but didn't keep RPM up cause it was a 36mm x 60mm motor and wanted to use it for something else.

HET has some lighter motors in the 850 - 900kv range but don't know if they come with an 8mm shaft.
Last edited by erh7771; Dec 12, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
... Just my thoughts, but I dont think air flow through those Tacon motors is going keep them from demagging.
Motor wont hold as much heat when airflow is stopped. Suxfly motor cooled down almost twice as fast with holes at the bottom of the can, measured with IR heat tool.

If there's holes at the top of the motor can the negative pressure at the bottom will pull a little air through but not thing like a fan.