Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:46 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
+1

what the turbine producers trying to improve nad they consider as a mius is the spoolling time..
this might save a plane.. why try to simulate the cons of a system

It's a personal taste issue. That's all. I've been doing it for years with no issues what so ever. Fast spool up for a turbine is 3.5 seconds. If you use 1 second servo slow you get really no lag at all and there is almost no issue for a novice, but the smooth effect and the lack of annoying instant dentist drill is GONE. 2 seconds takes some more experience, but it gets much smoother. For me, it's exactly what I want, so anyone considering it should not feel like they are on uncharted ground at all.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:48 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I saw someone tip stalling and crashing.. still waiting for that spool up.. it's not about taste.. ofcourse Idlike to have as closer to the turbine effect.. looks and sounds cool.. BUT.. it's a matter of safety here.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:59 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
Quote:
I saw someone tip stalling and crashing.. still waiting for that spool up.. it's not about taste.. ofcourse Idlike to have as closer to the turbine effect.. looks and sounds cool.. BUT.. it's a matter of safety here.
I'll agree to disagree with this sidebar discussion. 2 seconds of spool up is from idle to max. This is so miniscule it's not worth arguing over, do what you want and I'll do what works for me. I've been doing this for years, it's a non issue as long as one knows how to fly. If one tip stalls from a lack of instant 100 percent power then the flying technique is so bad a tip stall would have happened sooner or later anyway. A stabilized, decently planned approach takes care of any of that nonsense. Instant power often causes more problems than it can solve.

If you want to talk safety, then there should be absolutely no flying what so ever due to possible radio glitches and no crossing the street due to possible instant death by auto and no going out side as you may get hit by a falling meteorite. You have to manage your risk. Flying a stabilized approach takes care of the need for instant power, a normal person can fly just fine with a minimal throttle smoothing program set in to help manage the dentist drill effect.

Back to EDF's.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:03 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
exactly it is safety, so as an edf'er trying to make the transition to turbine you setup your edf this way to get used to the slow spoolup and hopefully crash your edf learning the difference. it is much more unsafe to crash your turbine on the runway trying to learn
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:08 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
I'll agree to disagree with this sidebar discussion. 2 seconds of spool up is from idle to max. This is so miniscule it's not worth arguing over, do what you want and I'll do what works for me. I've been doing this for years, it's a non issue as long as one knows how to fly. If one tip stalls from a lack of instant 100 percent power then the flying technique is so bad a tip stall would have happened sooner or later anyway. A stabilized, decently planned approach takes care of any of that nonsense. Instant power often causes more problems than it can solve.

If you want to talk safety, then there should be absolutely no flying what so ever due to possible radio glitches and no crossing the street due to possible instant death by auto and no going out side as you may get hit by a falling meteorite. You have to manage your risk. Flying a stabilized approach takes care of the need for instant power, a normal person can fly just fine with a minimal throttle smoothing program set in to help manage the dentist drill effect.

Back to EDF's.
I completely agree and I love my delayed throttle and I'm not even trying to go to turbine.........yet
Last edited by jcdfrd; Dec 08, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:09 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
exactly it is safety, so as an edf'er trying to make the transition to turbine you setup your edf this way to get used to the slow spoolup and hopefully crash your edf learning the difference. it is much more unsafe to crash your turbine on the runway trying to learn
now that my $$$$ are low it's better not to crash anything..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:09 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Well said Eddie P

+1
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I'm thinking a safer way would be to make a -50% throttle mix that would let you manually spool up slowly and it could be on a switch so in flight you can turn it off!!
Just a thought...
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:49 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
I'm thinking a safer way would be to make a -50% throttle mix that would let you manually spool up slowly and it could be on a switch so in flight you can turn it off!!
Just a thought...
as Eddie said we are making much more of this than it deserves its not that big of deal, after a couple of flights you wont even realize its slower. remember its adjustable if you find you have too much delay then take some out it really just smooths out the throttle
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:38 PM
United States, UT, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2009
550 Posts
X-flight has a new vid of the CMP L-39 with the 12 blade on 6s.
L-39.wmv (2 min 59 sec)
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:23 PM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
Sounds fantastic! Except the landing at the end loll
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
that looks way tail heavy...or way too much control throw.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:38 PM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
that looks way tail heavy...or way too much control throw.
My thoughts exactly when I saw the video Sounds fantastical though

Thanks for all the comments about delayed spool up. Good little conversation, and I appreciate both sides.

At least now I feel like I can make a more informed decision.
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:40 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,127 Posts
That sounds so awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
X-flight has a new vid of the CMP L-39 with the 12 blade on 6s.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXOui...layer_embedded
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:00 AM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
933 Posts
Flip-flop,

Can you find out from them what motor was used in that setup?

Thanks.

Foo
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon