SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:43 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
We got our shipment in today of the CS90 fans. There is no question that they look a lot alike. However, you can compare the blade twist, blade depth, center hub, etc. Nothing is exact. If it's a copy, its a conceptual copy. You can fit the nose cose of Stu's fan into the nose cone of the CS 90 fan, mean that the hub and hole diameter is larger than Stu's setup. The motor and shaft mounting setup is different too (not nearly as nice as Stu's).

We will have the XPS edition of the CS90 fan on our website by the end of the week.
What 6S Motor are you going to be using and the CS housing or another?
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:35 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
What will be the changes and what will the price be? Will they be balanced by XPS?
Cleaned up, laser engraved and pre-checked. $45 + shipping.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:36 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
What 6S Motor are you going to be using and the CS housing or another?
We are not running these on 6S. We are using 8S/10S setups here in house. We are using Neu 1415 and 1515 motors.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 08, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
We are running these on 6S. We are using 8S/10S setups here in house. We are using Neu 1514 and 1515 motors.
Drew--1514s are very rare--maybe a 1415?

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:07 AM
ANDY su27/andy c
Kirkliston near Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2007
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
I don't think that SUPPO motor will last through 2000watts, Knife used one and it burnt on him.HK does sell a 3675 1600kv boat motor inrunner that will take 2000 watts easily,
I think the stator on that motor is too short for 2000 watts
Hi erh, having run the motor over 3 min simulated flight on test stand not all full power [and the motor was just warm to touch] but as a normal display program i prefer to fly jet models at scale speed, and now we have the sound to match this motor would be ideal for FlyFly fomies on 5s about 1800watts well within motor spec.
I will run the 1300kv version on 7/8s and get the amps down.

Hi scatsob, yes i also checked out the other motor that erh suggested and the spec was not as good so i will continue with my cheapie set up for now.
Andy C
andy su27 is offline Find More Posts by andy su27
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:11 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
Drew--1514s are very rare--maybe a 1415?

Steve
Right you are, Steve. I meant 1415. I have many of the 1515 motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:26 AM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Has anybody thought about using slow start on the ESC to get that turbine spooling sound?

I've been thinking about it, but wonder if it might come back to bite me if I ever need that quick "punch" to get out of trouble... Just day dreaming I guess
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhiphop View Post
Has anybody thought about using slow start on the ESC to get that turbine spooling sound?...
I do this with the HK 50 and 70 amp Heli escs on my 70mm stuff and they sound even better than this....

A-10 Scorpion 4035-630kv, Haoye 5" Fan on Dual 10S setup (0 min 31 sec)

These are haoye 5inch EDFs, just think what'll sound like with the CS fan?

I think it's either the motor cog at certain RPMs or motor bearings that make people think it's a small turbine on spool up. I sounds so sweet I do it almost every time before take off especially on lower cell counts. It also gets the white noise going in the intakes with little movement of the plane, sounds sick.

I don't know of a 90m sized esc that will allow for this but the HK heli esc will go up to 80 amps on 6s.

Quote:
...I've been thinking about it, but wonder if it might come back to bite me if I ever need that quick "punch" to get out of a stall...
I've been flying with the heli escs and as long as you don't cut power for more than 10 seconds you don't have to worry about slow spool once it gets going. Also, the slow spool saves some packs IMHO...the quick hit current draw isn't good for most lipos out there.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:39 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,031 Posts
Are the XPS sold fans going to be balanced?
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:42 AM
Netherlands, Zwolle
Joined Jul 2005
312 Posts
Quote:
Has anybody thought about using slow start on the ESC to get that turbine spooling sound?

I've been thinking about it, but wonder if it might come back to bite me if I ever need that quick "punch" to get out of trouble... Just day dreaming I guess
Not entirely sure, but if memory serves me well, I once read that soft-start can be very hard on the ESC MosFets. Not sure if that implied certain brands or just in general.
hommel is offline Find More Posts by hommel
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:34 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:

I do this with my 90mm F18 but I dont use soft start in the esc, I use my throttle delay in my radio (12fg) and only use enough delay to be turbine like and still comes up fast enough to get out of trouble, it works great and actually its better for your batts and esc. the instant on is very hard on both
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:51 AM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Quote:

I have been flying with a 4-sec throttle slow/delay (on the DX-8) to simulate turbine spool-up. Once you get use to it, you don't even think about it anymore. The hardest thing is actually taxing on the ground.
When taxing back to the pits, one must throttle down earlier so one does not run the model into one's shins...
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:03 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,287 Posts
Hummm....why risk a problem..just move the stick slowly if you want slow spool up?
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:16 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hommel View Post
Not entirely sure, but if memory serves me well, I once read that soft-start can be very hard on the ESC MosFets. Not sure if that implied certain brands or just in general.
I don't think so - it may be more wear and tear but it isn't anything I've found has become an issue in my models with 7 to 12 seasons of hard play on them. 100 percent of my EDF airframes are set to soft start. My Castle Creations ESC (where I can program them with more custom features) are set very soft. I also add a "servo slow" function to throttle (I use Futaba and this is one of the good features the newer ones have). In thisfeature a full spool up is slowed - it starts right away but the full range is stretched to appx. 2.5 seconds from idle to full and you can get more fancy than that but suffice to say it is a nice feature for me. Half throttle to full is about 1.2 seconds. You can set this to whatever you like - instant, or longer than I have it. My setting is pretty quick, as long as you aren't sleeping at the wheel (and you'll crash for other reasons if you are) - you will not get into any trouble with that. But what this gives me is a smooth transition and a more jet like sound and response. Since I fly turbine also it allows me to fly the same way with my EDF's. Though 2.5 seconds is very fast, I still get nearly immediate response and it's not quite like a turbine. Best of both worlds though.

One of the biggest - well, THE biggest pet peeve I have with EDF is the dentist drill fast spool up - spool down, and the pulsating up-down-up-down-up sound that happens with a fast thumb. You can really hear it on approach and during taxi operations with instant response EDF's. And the sound is there for any EDF, even the multi blade ones, as you are hearing the motor and ESC operating at the low RPM's growling and screeching and putting a lot of wear and tear on the mounts, airframe and rotor not to mention motor and shaft. I also never ever use the brake function on an EDF. That's just needless wear and tear IMHO. I like the free spinning rotor for motor cooling and air brake effect if I go to idle.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:18 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Hummm....why risk a problem..just move the stick slowly if you want slow spool up?
+1

what the turbine producers trying to improve nad they consider as a mius is the spoolling time..
this might save a plane.. why try to simulate the cons of a system
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon