Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:50 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
Hi Guys,
this is what was left! there is not damage from rotation at the retaining area..only the front tab missing from all the baldes..if it was stretch they would show damge from bending..Sorry i just dont think a blade this short will stretch..and no way the ring can..
FYI
I ran some test with 2000 watts as the bench mark to keep it apples to apples

CS 90mm 5blade 2100 watts 195mph eflux 7lbs 5oz
CS 90mm 12 blade 2300 watts 195mph 7lbs 2oz
Wemo 90 6 blade 2100 watts 195mph 8lbs.2oz

But the good part is the 12blade is 10k less rpm..should last longer and sound much better..
All test were run with a 12in long tail pipe at 70mm and the CS intake ring installed
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:16 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,703 Posts
This is caused by using the wrong material for the plastic. I am talking with the manufacturer right now about the changes required to eliminate this problem.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,563 Posts
no inlet lip?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:05 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Hmm, look at the broken blade pic and look at the CAD model of an SM89-45 rotor blade. They even copied the wedge profiled rings I use to lock it all together. What scumbags. I hope anyone selling this fan takes a good look at this and decides whether they are happy to endorse blatant ripoffs.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Hi Guys,
this is what was left! there is not damage from rotation at the retaining area..only the front tab missing from all the baldes..if it was stretch they would show damge from bending..Sorry i just dont think a blade this short will stretch..and no way the ring can..
FYI
I ran some test with 2000 watts as the bench mark to keep it apples to apples

CS 90mm 5blade 2100 watts 195mph eflux 7lbs 5oz
CS 90mm 12 blade 2300 watts 195mph 7lbs 2oz
Wemo 90 6 blade 2100 watts 195mph 8lbs.2oz

But the good part is the 12blade is 10k less rpm..should last longer and sound much better..
All test were run with a 12in long tail pipe at 70mm and the CS intake ring installed
Tacon 1700kv right??

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:13 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,045 Posts
are they aloud to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
Hmm, look at the broken blade pic and look at the CAD model of an SM89-45 rotor blade. They even copied the wedge profiled rings I use to lock it all together. What scumbags. I hope anyone selling this fan takes a good look at this and decides whether they are happy to endorse blatant ripoffs.

Stu.
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:15 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Stu,
I got dissed in the very beginning of this thread for pointing out the entirely obvious rip off of your design..........it's the "Wal Mart" mentality at work
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:20 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
yes..

hey Brent....yes it is just off in the pic...I changed it the the CS lip to keep the info from the same set up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
no inlet lip?
the Tacon 1700 was in the wemo but that is not full power I stopped it at 2k watts to get matching numbers
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:34 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Stu,
I got dissed in the very beginning of this thread for pointing out the entirely obvious rip off of your design..........it's the "Wal Mart" mentality at work
Yep, I originally thought they'd just copied the blade shape, but after I saw some pics of an exploded rotor I realised they'd copied the spinner locating ring and now it's clear they've copied the fact that I use wedge shaped rings to force the blades to lock radially inwards against the hub, as opposed to Dynamax who use rectangular shaped rings. What is clear, is that CS don't know what they're doing, judging by the thrust per Watt figures posted. they way I look at EDF's is that you (usually) need 1 fan per model but lots of lipos. Buy 1 good fan and lots of cheap lipos, then you have a fan which will last you almost forever, and lipos which are cheap enough to replace every couple of years when they wear out. A good fan will be 15% more efficient than a crap one, there's a 15% saving in lipo costs straight away, as you'll need 15% more energy to make up for the useless fan.

Spyda00, yes, unfortunately, they can do it. I could have filed a patent on the wedge shaped rings I use, it was clearly an inventive step over Dynamax's setup, but it's just not worth patenting something like this, as the patent really only gives me the right to go broke defending it. In any case, the Chinese companies will just sell direct to customers, in which case they don't have to worry about prosecution. I'm gonna have a long think about what to say to any of my dealers who sell this fan, though.

Stu.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:47 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
This is caused by using the wrong material for the plastic. I am talking with the manufacturer right now about the changes required to eliminate this problem.
Why Jim? Why help them become better copycats? Why not work with a reputable company and develop a better product?

Stu.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:26 AM
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
Why Jim? Why help them become better copycats? Why not work with a reputable company and develop a better product?

Stu.
Everyone wants to save a buck!!! losing an eye ,or someone getting seriously injured, you have to ask your self is it worth it......

Stu how many rotors of yours have exploded? I bet not one!!!

zim

At the end of the day you get what you pay for!!!!!
Zimm is offline Find More Posts by Zimm
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:32 AM
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Stu,
I get a hammering also!!!! when i pointed out, if it doesn't perform as the original its not a good copy, and there is nothing to get excited about.

zim
Zimm is offline Find More Posts by Zimm
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:57 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
With all due respect.

Note.

People made Walmart the number one retailer of it's time. It's not Walmart mentality, it's what people are willing to pay for on certain items of certain quality.

China copies stuff. Ask Boeing.

Me personally, I crash too much to get a top notch item. This is why I buy cheap, test the limits.

No reflection on a STUMAX product, but I have seen top quality products also fail due to user error.

So what does one control?

It's only Freedom of Choice.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:39 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,703 Posts
Quote:

Stu.
So people don't get hurt. They are going to sell these fans no matter who likes it or not. Might as well make them safe. I think they should change the blade holding mechanism to something a bit more robust. The front tab is needs to be larger than the back one.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:40 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
That one I uploaded with better quality, but there was more talking in the back ground.

WOW, it's amazing how realistic sound this fan unit produces to the turbines, just lovely...Man i can only imagine how 4 of these together will sound in sync!.... What i'm noticing from the results that guys are getting is that, these fan are producing high static thrust and not so high E-flux speeds, which i'd say is better for certain scale jets as you want the high static thrust to get off the ground and be have enough to come in with good landing speeds Vs constant level flying speeds....
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan