to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:32 AM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenair View Post
Great video on the F-18, some of the local EDF guys take off on the gear, retract them, then if on grass, keep the gear up and belly land.
After its repaired i will keep it for runways. the ground was damp, i should have known better.
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:53 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,152 Posts
Well the motor has arrived curtesy of mark from extreme RC

Just waiting for the new rotor from X-flight. Thinking about balancing, anyone had any luck with the iPhone/android balancing technique?

Thanks

Dave
ticketec is online now Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:51 AM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
599 Posts
Try this its awesome

bobs workshop EDF fan balancer (0 min 54 sec)
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:02 PM
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2001
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
very nice Darmar, if you get them coming out of the molds perfect let us know a price!
Thanks Mark.
I might have few extras for sale sometime down the road depending on available time. It's hard with full time job and everyday life.
I don't have CNC molds with tight tolerances to get parts ready to use, it takes some time to trim and polish each blade. Working on 11 blade right now and mold for spinner.
By the way blades weigh 2.6 to 2.75 grams when all is done.
darmar is offline Find More Posts by darmar
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:12 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scunna View Post
Bit hard to justify $300 for the couple of EDF's I own

Thanks

Dave
ticketec is online now Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:20 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,031 Posts
Spinners (and adapters etc) for Lander one-piece rotor

Just tried the legendary customer service at RC Lander myself - great!
Mailed to sales@rclander.com if they could ship me spinners for their 70mm/64mm 10-blade rotors (as sold by HK), and the 90mm 12.-blade single piece rotor (also bought at HK).
Got a reply after a few hours: yes, the small spinners will be 3$ each, the 90mm part 4$, and shipping 10$, paypal possible. CC to Tim Wan, the CEO.
That I call customer orientation...
As to the adapters, there I found solutions since the inner diameter is 8mm in both the 70mm and the 90mm, so Wemotech parts and others fit.
And although the Haoye 7-blade 92mm fan spinner can be made to fit the one-piece Lander rotor by sanding the inner diameter of the spinner just a bit, the alloy spinner will be easier to fit and balance (I would think).
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:49 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,008 Posts
Helped a friend set up the CS9012 with a Turnigy SK3 3659 1600kv. Nice motor but when run on 6S the amp draw settled around 95a/2100Watts. I watched the motor temp climb over 170F then had to reduce WOT in fear of cooking the motor. ESC timing was low.
I don't think it will take a good 6S battery at WOT very long, especially in warmer weather.
Anyone else using this motor with some running time on 6S?
Thanks
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:05 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,272 Posts
That is a 'small' motor for the task.
The 3968 Fandrive is far better...... that is a 'real' motor. LOL

The 3659 is more for low blade count fans and thus the lower total power involved.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:06 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,008 Posts
Setting up the fan had the usual adapter issues.
The first couple were very loose on the 5MM motor shaft and the third needed to be tried in all 4 possible positions (on the flat spot of the motor shaft) to find a place where it would run true.
After that the clock method got it pretty good, and some additional weight will be needed to make perfect. It's about 95% close to perfect but will spend some time to get like my other fans.
The current will likely have to be limited through the ESC if the motor temp keeps climbing over 175f.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Jun 2012
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Helped a friend set up the CS9012 with a Turnigy SK3 3659 1600kv. Nice motor but when run on 6S the amp draw settled around 95a/2100Watts. I watched the motor temp climb over 170F then had to reduce WOT in fear of cooking the motor. ESC timing was low.
I don't think it will take a good 6S battery at WOT very long, especially in warmer weather.
Anyone else using this motor with some running time on 6S?
Thanks
I run that motor on a CS12 on my Eurofighter, 6S 5000 60C packs, I run 7- 8 timing and see a 101-102amps settled amps (peak 104). I also balanced it to perfection and is dead silent on my Eurofighter, to silent.

When I balanced it on my rig I did notice high temps but I dint really care much as that was the motor that had to go in the plane at the time. I just went for It and I get 4min flights on the euro with lots of WOT speed passes and flat spins, so far after about 8 flights the motor is running fine.
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:51 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,008 Posts
Did some more testing after adding some cooling fins
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18343
and opening up the 4 cooling holes in the shroud slightly. The result was a cooler motor that can be continuously operated at WOT and not get too hot. I did add a gasket spacer between the motor and shroud and used fiber washers under the screw heads to isolate the heat from the shroud (just in case). The HK cooling fins are held on with JB weld. I shortened the rear of the shroud to match the EDF opening of the plane it will go in to simplify installation. A benefit of this is the cooling fins are mounted closer to the center of the motor rather than the end.A little JB weld attached the cooling fins to the shroud which helps stabilize the motor in the oversize shroud.
Overall I'm impressed with this Turnigy SK3 3659 1600kv motor for 6S.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Testing today:
Motor HET 700-60-935
ESC CC Ice2 80HV
Batteries GenAce 3300 25C (12S held 3.4V per cell after 30 secs....Pretty darn good!)
Version 1 fan glued and balanced....(still balancing)

Thrust max 10lbs 9 oz. Settled at 10lbs. (Max volts were 48V so batts not fully charged)
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:53 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,008 Posts
Impressive MP!
I can assume your fan is a very early version V1 as I had no luck whatsoever with a large batch I purchased from HK last year. My earlier fans were indeed stronger than my bad batch. Although the epoxy may hold the blade roots the weakness in the plastic will still allow the blades to separate from the root area so be sure you have appropriate safety equipment. Unfortunately, I speak from experience...
The stronger, heavier V2 fans have been good.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:29 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Yea. I run it with my transmitter from the other room! LOL Just peak out to see Thrust and maybe grab something that is flying around the house from the wind!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton