SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
These blades look nothing like Stu's, Tom's, Schubie's etc. It has an odd bend at the tip, and the trailing edge angles are like nothing I have seen. I think it was just a stab in the dark looking at existing blade designs, and unless you get really picky you are going to be within 5%-10% of everything else made.
Yeap, unless they start making 2 blade fans or something I wont SEE any real difference from what's already out there.

The difference will be in Thrust and EFLUX per watts, sound, fit, quality\safety.

Could care less if it cost 20 dollars if I have to throw 9000watts into for 15lbs in there 120mm it aint worth it. And lets say it sounds and fit great but it starts throwing blades above 17lbs of push....well, there that market went.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:43 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
...Are you saying thats a good thing or a bad thing, I for one realize that diversity in the market is the most important thing over everything else...
It's a good thing IMHO, when it comes to jets at my club cost vs a nice 30% is often brought up right after knowledge of flyin or building them.

If the initial cost to get into a jet is lowered, people will come no?

keyword....initial.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:51 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,530 Posts
Change Sun is a market follower; not innovator. Their 4 blade 70mm and 5 blade fans look to be inspired by Schuebeler. IMHO, they are close, but not as efficient as other fans of the same size.
Their 10 blade 70mm fan looks has the same blade shape as this new 90mm and 120mm. Aerodynamics are aerodynamics, so things will look similar. The real question is where the inspiration came from.
If nothing else, they're going in the direction of multi-blade, lower rpm "quieter" fans.
As having tested the 70mm 10 blader, and compared it to other tested set-ups, I can tell you, you can't just use the same motor you have and expect good efficiency. The same may be true of these new fans.

Just my .02
ex-racr is online now Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:57 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
530 Posts
I really like this fan, it is decent quality,has great sound and is a perfect match for my $180
Sniper. I could not see myself putting Stus fan in a $180 airframe.
Now on the other hand if I was going to buy a full composite JTM viper jet then I would buy
Stus fan.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:59 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
I could not see myself putting Stumax fan in a $180 airframe.

That's my problems too...
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:12 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
looks like a cheap a$$ copy to me........not planning on supporting a cheap made with no customer service edf company.

As far as i see things, us & canada should ban all copy cat products made over seas, there is companies out there that spend lots of $$$$ developing new technologies and for somebody else to steal it.....well that's just wrong.
+3

ns.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:13 PM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
I really like this fan, it is decent quality,has great sound and is a perfect match for my $180
Sniper. I could not see myself putting Stus fan in a $180 airframe.
Now on the other hand if I was going to buy a full composite JTM viper jet then I would buy
Stus fan.
Same here.

Not everyone in the hobby can afford the high-end fans. I certainly would love to drive a Mercedez, but it ain't gonna happen in this life time.

I would also love to own a BVM jet and have a high end Fan like Stu's or Schubie in it, but that ain't gonna happein either. Not if my wife has a say in it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I won't comment directly on that, but I'll just say you don't have to buy or use this fan...

Having said that, I would love to throw this fan and a decent motor on something like the HET 90mm L-39 or the new 90mm HK Hawk in the Union Jack livery (if it ever gets released to the US...)
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:34 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Well guys, then ALL of the public better be ready for only "good enough" when the real developers have had enough of their hard work being ripped off. You aren't going to see cutting edge if the designers with the talent can't get a return on investment because of being undercut by "good enough".

Jim; you are right, the actual blade is a "resemblance only" to a Stumax.....however there has evidently been every effort to copy the blade retention as well as the exact spinner shape and design.
They couldn't even be bothered to re-profile the spinner.

Not your problem? Good for the consumer? Just remember that when YOUR job winds up undercut by cheaper copycat "competition let us just not hear any crying.
I am not going to cry, Mike. We sell our fan at basically what it costs us to build. We don't make money on these things, and its not our business. It's more of a good will thing for modelers, and because jets are my hobby.

I didn't realize that they copied the blade retention. I guess we all have Tom Cook to thank for that idea - he was the first one to do this.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hampshire UK
Joined Oct 2008
363 Posts
In Like Flynn
j6myw is offline Find More Posts by j6myw
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,232 Posts
Well you can buy a Rolex rip off, it's still not a Rolex
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:41 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
If the initial cost to get into a jet is lowered, people will come no?

Yeah i think thats true, even guys with money will be reluctant to spend $3000+ on their first edf, so maybe things like this get them in the door then once their hooked the buy from stu, jim and all the rest, win win all round!!
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
There's a reason why these things are costly and making them cheaper would just cause the governing body to regulate us more due to more occuring accidents due to unexperianced pilots.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:11 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,071 Posts
Similar design or not aside.
What? about actual materials used??
Typical substandard 'just waiting to explode' Chinese plastics one often finds in Cheap copies?
Gawd I hope not... but history has a way of repeating.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:41 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Sorry but...let's put it this way.

For some people that do NOT know much about a EDF Unit and may be new to it, see like a stumax, bob violet or a Tamjets or even a schübeler fan and get turned off by it.

Then they see this cheap knock-off of some brand made in china and cause it is cheaper and cause they think it may look similar to the others, may send their health or live in jeopardy.

Do you really think that this is STILL correct? Not me sorry

WE may know the differences on those units but "rookies" or "noobs" or "beginners" can't tell the difference but the price..

And this makes a big difference since a lot of people want to fly EDF Jets...

Think about it on the other side of the Road.
NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:46 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Feb 2009
404 Posts
Unbelievable, one guy has one and a bunch of you want to criticize it and havent even touched one. It looks just like the inlet of a 757 to me albeit a bit smaller. So if it looks like a copy of Stumax....... where did Stu get it from? 757??? GE Turbofan?? Rolls Royce??? Pratt & Whitney??? Hmm.
rfodor is offline Find More Posts by rfodor