HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
You missed one, Amp Draw
Amp draw is an interesting question. Mine tops around 95A. Take notice of my fight time... and note less than 4000mah out of my 6S pack for the flight posted!
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
here is a 12blade I setup and balanced for Manny its one of the best sounding 12blade I have heard so far and pretty decent performance for 6s. good balance of whine and whoosh but it is still pretty quiet.......hey I have a question for you guys, have you ever heard a real turbine jet engine in person? lol!!!!! ...........they are friggin LOUD!!!! hahaha.......jets are supposed to be loud
Manny's Hawk (4 min 14 sec)
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,353 Posts
You crack me up JCFRD!
Jets are loud, of course they are. I don't really enjoy having ear splitting sound. The day my video was taken there was a turbine model flying as well. I had to cover my ears when it was above idle (I'm funny that way). Having lost some of my hearing with over 18,000 hours of flying time, I don't wish to lose any more.
The smaller versions of full size don't have to have 100% volume to sound right, perhaps 10 to 15% is more realistic based on their size.
I appreciate the contribution wemo fans have made to model performance but I just enjoy flying the quieter fans since switching to them.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:15 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
You crack me up JCFRD!
Jets are loud, of course they are. I don't really enjoy having ear splitting sound. The day my video was taken there was a turbine model flying as well. I had to cover my ears when it was above idle (I'm funny that way). Having lost some of my hearing with over 18,000 hours of flying time, I don't wish to lose any more.
The smaller versions of full size don't have to have 100% volume to sound right, perhaps 10 to 15% is more realistic based on their size.
I appreciate the contribution wemo fans have made to model performance but I just enjoy flying the quieter fans since switching to them.
Cheers
glad I made you laugh it was meant to be funny lol!!! even our turbine model jets are crazy loud. our edf's are really no where even close in loudness so a good balance of sound that is turbine like is what I try to have
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,758 Posts
Just get benini to do some good jet sounds and add his sound system to the model, would be easy enough to put some large speakers into a foamie with a decent amp and combined with a super quiet fan end up with realism
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,773 Posts
LOL, I have that already...
Benedini with a set of twin turbine sounds I made up for myself and Thomas. It is not loud enough. (Though still sounds pretty cool if you are close).
Maybe if you have a 100Watt Amp and 3 x 4" speakers, it would at least be acceptable. But there isn't room for that all. (In a 90mm or twin 70mm).

This was the original sound set, but I have a new much better one made up now. But no video of it yet.

Me 262 Benedini Turbine soundset (1 min 29 sec)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
Sounds good until those fans get up in RPMs. Like Mark said, I also think a sound system would sound louder or better in a quieter fan setup...CS12, CS10, Jetfan, stumax. These stock fans that often come with edf's are just too load and mask the sound of a sound system, thats another reason why these systems sound louder in a prop plane. MrRCsound says he has a turbine system coming out next wk or so and plane on adding it to my Euro w/ CS12, if I can find a spot for it...may be tough.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:30 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,773 Posts
That video has no fans running.
It is only Benedini... taken from source files of a real twin turbine Me-262 model.
But that is why I decided to rebuild the whole sound set again.....
For EDF application you don't need all the whining etc, as the CS10/12 supplies that 'airflow' portion. Or rather, you need the startup whining and procedure, but not once the fans come online. All you need to add then is the "roar" portion of the jet combustion sound that we miss. And even though this is taken off a real turbine set, it isn't truly suited to reproduction by a 'played sound system'. The Benedini 'revs up' sounds a certain way, and it is not suited to doing turbines because they do not do the same things as a prop combustion engine does. The Benedini can't actually do it well 'automatically', but there are ways to make a much better end result.
To make proper behaviour of turbine sounds the sound system needs to be made (programmed) differently than the methods they all currently base the systems from.

The RealSound system sounded pretty good in its turbine demo video (but costs $400 or so!), but you really need to see it all in proper action to find out if it is 'shonkied' to sound good, or what shortfalls it might also have. As long as it was designed (programmed) to do turbines properly it would be ok,
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:53 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,926 Posts
Thanks for all the links guys. There is little doubt that among the reasons each of these units sound so good is that they are balanced. Still, I have to admit that my ear is especially drawn to the CS12 vids - no disrespect to jcdfrd or Efflux RC. That Hawk/CS combo in particular is fantastic!

When I'm asked about my own jet I generally refer to the video below to highlight the sound of the CS12. It's only running 500 watts for this demo (for obvious reasons ... however it is 2.2kw at WOT) but nicely conveys the variety of sounds that the fan & airframe together make - the hissing and whining and roaring and whooshing and je ne sais quois - that keep me coming back for more.

No question that the real deal sounds quite different from our birds - way louder and much more raucous. And yet somehow the subdued tones of any of these units somehow seems fitting for an RC jet ... as well as being neighbor-friendly. Much moreso than an RC turbine.

tn

IMG_1298.MOV (1 min 31 sec)
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:04 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Thanks for all the links guys. There is little doubt that among the reasons each of these units sound so good is that they are balanced. Still, I have to admit that my ear is especially drawn to the CS12 vids - no disrespect to jcdfrd or Efflux RC. That Hawk/CS combo in particular is fantastic!

When I'm asked about my own jet I generally refer to the video below to highlight the sound of the CS12. It's only running 500 watts for this demo (for obvious reasons ... however it is 2.2kw at WOT) but nicely conveys the variety of sounds that the fan & airframe together make - the hissing and whining and roaring and whooshing and je ne sais quois - that keep me coming back for more.

No question that the real deal sounds quite different from our birds - way louder and much more raucous. And yet somehow the subdued tones of any of these units somehow seems fitting for an RC jet ... as well as being neighbor-friendly. Much moreso than a turbine.

tn

http://youtu.be/hRkXbmZ8Dyg
Nice sound on that Thomas. I know that some have struggled to get this fan working optimally especially if you get a off centre adaptor, but after you have succeeded, the results are clear.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:07 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,926 Posts
Yep! It's a drug and I'm addicted.

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas nelson View Post
yep! It's a drug and i'm addicted.

Tn
+1,

Some larger turbines have an EDF like sound to them IMHO, Tomahwawk Futura with a P200 for instance...

Tons of thrust more than a single EDF usually put's out but the jet coming at you doesn't sound so much outside of a large EDF
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:42 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
370 Posts
replacement blades ordered !!! can't wait to set it up on my L-39...
Thomas Nelson,
What speed range are you getting with your setup? and flight time/ lipo consumption?

Thanks
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:48 AM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
933 Posts
Has anyone tested the HET 600-42 on 6S with this 12blader? It's suppose to be 8S capable at 1400kv.

Thanks.
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:51 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooyukvoon View Post
Has anyone tested the HET 600-42 on 6S with this 12blader? It's suppose to be 8S capable at 1400kv.

Thanks.
I'll be testing it, I just bought one...

I think Flip Flops original post had the CS12 running with 1500kv motor

prolly a tad less than 3000 watts on 1400kv
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member