Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post

With a couple of throttle tricks (don't spool all the way down, use slow spool up during taxi) you get the "it sounds real" comments all the time.
lol! I hear ya on that. I used to mash the throttle on taxi then takeoff. Now its a slow wind up on takeoffs, sounds so real.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
common erh, you dont have hours of balancing under your belt?.........of coarse you do...... and with practice makes perfect........sure now after 100+ hours of balancing experience you could do one in less than an hour, if all goes well! but for the average builder he will have hours of balancing and will probably give up or stop when he thinks its "good enough". it is also possible to get "lucky" with a balance job.....that does happen also.

erh why you always picken on me? lol!!

as you know I fly wemo's and love how mine sound, I also get rave reviews from the jet and turbine guys at the field. I also have put together a few of these 12bladers for guys and fly with them, sometimes at the same time......to me theirs no comparison my jet sounds way better to me. I like an equal mix of high pitch whine and whoosh together much more realistic than just whoosh only which is what I hear from a properly setup 12 blader...too quiet
it does come down to personal preference and I like both but prefer wemo's right now.
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,899 Posts
Can you post a link to what you think is your best sounding Wemo setup? Like you say it's all in the ear of the beholder - and the mic of the camcorder - but I wouldn't mind hearing what you think is a superior sound. Dunno, maybe my ears need a tuneup!

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
common erh, you dont have hours of balancing under your belt?.........of coarse you do...... and with practice makes perfect........sure now after 100+ hours of balancing experience you could do one in less than an hour, if all goes well! but for the average builder he will have hours of balancing and will probably give up or stop when he thinks its "good enough". it is also possible to get "lucky" with a balance job.....that does happen also.

erh why you always picken on me? lol!!

as you know I fly wemo's and love how mine sound, I also get rave reviews from the jet and turbine guys at the field. I also have put together a few of these 12bladers for guys and fly with them, sometimes at the same time......to me theirs no comparison my jet sounds way better to me. I like an equal mix of high pitch whine and whoosh together much more realistic than just whoosh only which is what I hear from a properly setup 12 blader...too quiet
it does come down to personal preference and I like both but prefer wemo's right now.
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:23 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Can you post a link to what you think is your best sounding Wemo setup? Like you say it's all in the ear of the beholder - and the mic of the camcorder - but I wouldn't mind hearing what you think is a superior sound. Dunno, maybe my ears need a tuneup!

tn
Yes, I would like to hear the best sounding wemo style fan as well. Mine just hurt my ears!
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,540 Posts
Quote:

as you know I fly wemo's and love how mine sound, I also get rave reviews from the jet and turbine guys at the field. I also have put together a few of these 12bladers for guys and fly with them, sometimes at the same time......to me theirs no comparison my jet sounds way better to me. I like an equal mix of high pitch whine and whoosh together much more realistic than just whoosh only which is what I hear from a properly setup 12 blader...too quiet.

I did noticed that when I went to my 1600kv HTG inrunner motor the sound was a lot quieter absolutely no whistle on throttle input. However on my 1500kv, 1600kv, 1700kv outrunners the sound was a little louder as it had more of a whistle to it. Love the way both inrunner and outrunners sound differently although i need to pay more attention on landing approach with the inrunner as i can't use sound to judge speed, but have to rely on throttle position solely.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
common erh, you dont have hours of balancing under your belt?.........of coarse you do...
Don't tell anyone else...lol, I prolly do

Quote:
and with practice makes perfect........sure now after 100+ hours of balancing experience you could do one in less than an hour, if all goes well!
I do usually budget about an hour but that's cause of ADD and kids (bad combo for me) but usually if the spinners right and the rotor isn't way out of balance thins happen pretty quick.

Quote:
... I like an equal mix of high pitch whine and whoosh together much more realistic than just whoosh only which is what I hear from a properly setup 12 blader...too quiet
I have one in my F100, I have to have it.the 12 blade is too quite in it.

It still has a good combo of whoosh and whine but I got the whine down to a minumum
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post

tn
I think TAMs TJ90 in the A4 sounds sick
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:07 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
sure tn
here's my L39 10s wemo pro
Htg L39 9-23-12 (4 min 50 sec)

HTG L39 8-28-12 (4 min 12 sec)

here are two HTG L39's mine with the wemo you just watched and the other is my buddy Nicks with cs 90/12 the video kinda sucks and the audio isnt great but you get the idea. you get to hear both jets in flight at the same time......pick which one you like better for sound

John&NIck-L-39 (4 min 21 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
and of coarse keep in mind the camera mic will pick up high pitch frequencies much better than low end frequencies so the high pitch is accentuated and the low end is cut off so in person their is much more low end whoosh heard which blends or covers up the high pitch whine. sounds best in person.
the gopro mic is terrible so the audio in the vid with both flying is pretty muffled but hearing them in the air at the same time overrode the bad audio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
here's my F16 with TJ90 wemo pro on 10s it has a very unique whistle to it and sounds awesome......too me lol!

TJ F16 8-28-12 (3 min 14 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,440 Posts
Full throttle sound?
low throttle sound?
acceleration?
top speed?

Here's another to watch and listen.

efflux RC.... our L-39 at Las Vegas - 10-2011 (6 min 46 sec)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatasteele View Post
Hello,
Extreme RC sells a 90mm w/o lip for about $70. Has anyone used this on an MB339 flyfly? I am looking to do an 8mm setup with HET 700-68-1400kv 8s 5000. I don't want to have to cut up the plane. I originally bought some cs12s from x-flight; they recently sent me new blades for all of the fans I've ordered - they came out to about 4.5grams each. Thanks for any insite.
There are plenty of guys using the housing in the 90mm foamies, the lip at the front matches the wemo diameter which matches the flyfly/topgun fan, the only difference is mine is around 10mm longer to house the long rotor properly, so when you install you simply cut a little foam out behind the molded section for the fan as the back end of the fan will extend past this section about 10mm.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:07 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,894 Posts
Since it is a CS9012 thread I will post my video for comparison.
Changesun 90mm 12 blade EDF powered Venom (6 min 6 sec)
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:19 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Full throttle sound?
low throttle sound?
acceleration?
top speed?
You missed one, Amp Draw
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,461 Posts
Out of the non CS12 videos the wemo sounds best, the Mach is either really loud and metallic sounding or the video is bad.

4stripes your Venom is nice, but its a little too quiet needs a bit more roar, can you mess up the intakes like the 70mm Vampire?

The Jetfan is a nice middle ground fan, has woosh and whistle, and can be tailored to suit with changes to ESC timing too, I been playing round with ESC timing and my Mirage's sound changes, has not affected performance or amp draw so far.