SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
Registered User
ViperVJG73's Avatar
Germany, SH, Neumünster
Joined Dec 2011
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Honestly I do not know the weight of mine, however my 3 Cs12 fans I have are all from the 1st productions from xflight. I have yet to have a single problem with any of mine as others have.
Big thanks for your answer.
I'm very makes insecure because I hand launch with my Euro needs to do.
ViperVJG73 is offline Find More Posts by ViperVJG73
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Deutch friend.. speak english please???
EDForever is offline Find More Posts by EDForever
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
Registered User
ViperVJG73's Avatar
Germany, SH, Neumünster
Joined Dec 2011
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDForever View Post
Deutch friend.. speak english please???
Yea sorry for my bad english.
I meant I am very insecure to use the CS12 for a hand launch.
ViperVJG73 is offline Find More Posts by ViperVJG73
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVJG73 View Post
Yea sorry for my bad english.
I meant I am very insecure to use the CS12 for a hand launch.
dont worry about it, I understood ya. Im fluant in english typo! Heck i even do it myself sometimes.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVJG73 View Post
Yea sorry for my bad english.
I meant I am very insecure to use the CS12 for a hand launch.
so far the blades do not come out from the exhaust..
EDForever is offline Find More Posts by EDForever
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Registered User
ViperVJG73's Avatar
Germany, SH, Neumünster
Joined Dec 2011
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDForever View Post
so far the blades do not come out from the exhaust..
Thanks my friend.
ViperVJG73 is offline Find More Posts by ViperVJG73
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
ViperVJG73's Avatar
Germany, SH, Neumünster
Joined Dec 2011
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
dont worry about it, I understood ya. Im fluant in english typo! Heck i even do it myself sometimes.
I understand.
ViperVJG73 is offline Find More Posts by ViperVJG73
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
Registered User
4stripes's Avatar
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVJG73 View Post
Thank you for the information. I will do only use the new 51g version.
How high do you estimate the physical hazard with a hand launch by the CS12?
There is a danger the blades penetrate the foam?
If you have the stronger fan, the chance of it failing is very low unless you are pushing above 2500watts. The fan fails and destroys the shroud using up all the energy before it can penetrate the fuselage very far. Hand launching a 90mm EDF isn't something I would do due to the weight and energy needed to get some airspeed. Perhaps on a windy day it would be safer, but I still think there is a high risk of a crash. Look into landing gear or a strong bungee setup.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
Registered User
Thomas Nelson's Avatar
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,925 Posts
I fly the very scale Exceed 90mm Superhornet and have had two CS12 failures while airborne. In neither case did any blades penetrate the foam fuselage. Some blades were embedded, but most ejected out the back since I was vertical when it happened. And this was good news for me since .....

Well ... since I exclusively hand launch this bird. 121 successfull HL's to date. With a decent T/W (at or above 1:1) and good javelin throw I think many could confidentily launch this jet with zero wind on the flat. YMMV of course, but a successful HL with a 90mm EDF need not be a hit or miss thing.

The launch in this video was into a 15kph headwind from a hill so quite easy. From the flat and with no headwind, just aim higher.

Still - if the fan exploded just as I released it I'm sure I'd be more than a little freaked out. But having carefully examined the damage from my failed units, I would also expect to be completely uninjured.

And keep in mind we are talking worst case scenario here.

F-18 Superhornet - Typical Handlaunch (0 min 43 sec)
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Nov 12, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Thomas Nelson's Avatar
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,925 Posts
I have a theory regarding the CS12 failures. Well at least my failures.

I think mine were related to the adaptor shifting on the motor shaft.

The resulting runout introduces vibes that can be heard (barely with the quiet CS12). In both my failures I am convinced I heard excessive vibes for 1-2 seconds before things went pear-shaped.

I am leaning toward using 30 min epoxy to permanently mount the adaptor on the shaft, with special attention paid to the very end of the shaft. If the end is secured, then there should be zero chance of the adaptor shifting, introducing runout and soon thereafter fragging the blades and shroud.

I say this because as we know (those of us that have measured runout) we can "play" with the grub screws - tightening and loosening in various sequences - and "correct" the runout problem. Suggests a loose adaptor, no?

After thinking a bunch about my own experience with this fan, I believe both failures occurred after rough landings. Meaning the heavy CS12 rotor could have pulled the adaptor off center ever so slightly.

Hey ... it's a theory ... any thoughts from others? I mean, in my case how does a fan rack up many dozens of flights and then go 'bzzzzzzzzz' and fail? Tying the failure only to blade strength doesn't totally seem to fit from my own experience.

I'm thinking we need a better adaptor, or we need to use the existing ones with epoxy. But as I mentioned, I'm all ears to other ideas ......
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
I have a theory regarding the CS12 failures. Well at least my failures.

I think mine were related to the adaptor shifting on the motor shaft.

The resulting runout introduces vibes that can be heard (barely with the quiet CS12). In both my failures I am convinced I heard excessive vibes for 1-2 seconds before things went pear-shaped.

I am leaning toward using 30 min epoxy to permanently mount the adaptor on the shaft, with special attention paid to the very end of the shaft. If the end is secured, then there should be zero chance of the adaptor shifting, introducing runout and soon thereafter fragging the blades and shroud.

I say this because as we know (those of us that have measured runout) we can "play" with the grub screws - tightening and loosening in various sequences - and "correct" the runout problem. Suggests a loose adaptor, no?

After thinking a bunch about my own experience with this fan, I believe both failures occurred after rough landings. Meaning the heavy CS12 rotor could have pulled the adaptor off center ever so slightly.

Hey ... it's a theory ... any thoughts from others? I mean, in my case how does a fan rack up many dozens of flights and then go 'bzzzzzzzzz' and fail? Tying the failure only to blade strength doesn't totally seem to fit from my own experience.

I'm thinking we need a better adaptor, or we need to use the existing ones with epoxy. But as I mentioned, I'm all ears to other ideas ......
the most possible reason is the motor MOUNT..
a similar problem appears in the CS12 120mm too..
they move.. the plastic is too soft and with the head it gets even softer.
mine never had asingle prob since I use the metal shroud..
EDForever is offline Find More Posts by EDForever
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
Registered User
DamonH's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDForever View Post
the most possible reason is the motor MOUNT..
a similar problem appears in the CS12 120mm too..
they move.. the plastic is too soft and with the head it gets even softer.
mine never had asingle prob since I use the metal shroud..
Now this I would believe. I noticed after mine exploded that the area where the motor mount screws go was a little wore out like the screws dug into the plastic. I kinda contributed it to when the fan exploded causing the motor to move around...it may just be the opposite and the motor moved first causing the blades to explode. This may explain why there are many people using the fan in a different housing (because some think the CS housing is too long) with great success. v8, I know you haven't had any issues with your CS12 but dont you use a different housing?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Since I chqnged the housing im working at 3000+ watts with no issues at all.. But im selling it because im going HV
EDForever is offline Find More Posts by EDForever
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
. This may explain why there are many people using the fan in a different housing (because some think the CS housing is too long) with great success. v8, I know you haven't had any issues with your CS12 but dont you use a different housing?
Indeed! I'm just using a basic freewing 90mm shroud which comes with the FA18E and Euro, nothing special at all.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Indeed! I'm just using a basic freewing 90mm shroud which comes with the FA18E and Euro, nothing special at all.
If you try to tighten up the screws on those shrouds Freewing etc. they will crack..
on the CS shroud it will just go deeper.. so you can clearly see the plastic IS soft there
EDForever is offline Find More Posts by EDForever
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $40 shipped mjbennett9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 7 Oct 06, 2011 11:47 PM
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $50 shipped mjbennett9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Oct 05, 2011 10:14 PM
Sold Change Sun electric retracts Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 May 23, 2011 07:20 AM
Sold Change Sun Electronic retracts w/Lander struts hole digger Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 May 06, 2011 02:27 PM
Video 6 and 12 blade 90mm fan sound test tom bacsanyi Electric Plane Talk 3 Dec 10, 2009 08:01 PM