HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:22 AM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,602 Posts
Sorry to hear that Thomas. As Air Sally said, maybe just spring for the JetFan and be done with it.
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Bummer ...alls i can say is get a Jet Fan 90mm and be done with it ,great fan for the price.i have 3 of them
have you taken any measures on the jetfan 90 with 1400kv and 8s?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:43 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,926 Posts
Ten Four, Rodger I hear you on that. And Skylineflyer. Thanks guys.

About the only hesitation I have with the Jetfan is the sound. I've heard a couple vids that sounded like "old school" fans, with the familiar shreeking/whining etc. Any thoughts on that from your own birds Rodger? Just a balance or mounting issue in the suspect videos? My inclination would be to order it factory balanced so as to eliminate runout/balance issues altogether.

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Ten Four, Rodger I hear you on that. And Skylineflyer. Thanks guys.

About the only hesitation I have with the Jetfan is the sound. I've heard a couple vids that sounded like "old school" fans, with the familiar shreeking/whining etc. Any thoughts on that from your own birds Rodger? Just a balance or mounting issue in the suspect videos? My inclination would be to order it factory balanced so as to eliminate runout/balance issues altogether.

tn
I have the same hesitation PLUS the jetfan has less aggressive blades and with my setup 8s 1400kv 3000watts is not a possible number..
now back on the bench to see what's wrong with my setup and I'm not getting the watts I was getting

now I'm going to test better batteries.. (not better .. actually newer) same as the ones I got the 3000watts figure.
then I'mgoing to try an intake lip..
if the watts go up to 3000 then I'm going to try the ducting with the intake lip.
if not I'm removign the motor to inspect for possible damages.
by inspection the shaft doesn't seem bent even with the fan on. if it was then the clearance from the shroud would have been changing constantly. no such issue
if that still doesn't work then I'm going to wait till the end of the month (payday) to geta astumax rotor and be done with this.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
just got 93.1amps and 2895watts with the ducting open
ofcourse that helps since it's like havign a cheater hole.. I'm going to charge again and try with an intake lip... stay tuned
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:25 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
tn
Quite airframe dependant, setup is easy though, the current generation use a collet adapter. So far I have assembled a few of the new ones and the rotor runs dead smooth straight off, the spinner requires rotating and testing to get the harmonic sweet spot, and one I balanced the spinner a little to get it absolutely perfect, but its an easy fan to assemble and fine tune and can sound just as good as the rest. Can certainly take huge power and is not far off a wemo in efficiency, best bang for the buck around.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
UPDATES...important ones
103.62 amps (I think the Turnigy megameter tops there (up to 100amps) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22631
tops 3231watts (my other up to 130amps watt meter has deans on it so I'm not risking it (and I'm lazy to solder 4mm bullets)

that's without ducting AND the intake lip on.. time to find a way to leave it with the intake on AND the ducting too...
btw it doesnt' settle lower than 103.62 amps.. so I think we got a sweet spot there..
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:41 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,988 Posts
Hre's a chart for the JetFan 90,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=578

Video with intake ducting.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=628

Video, open intake.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=766

From what I understand, little or no need to balance, most are good right out of the box.

I purchased one for my current build project, and hope to get 4.4--5+Kw out of it, depending on motor choice.

Hope these links help out.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:53 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Intake ducting negates the need for an intake lip, the duct is supposed to match the fan when fitted and give a smooth inflow of air, the air intakes then become the lip, and the sharper they are the less effective they will be static, but in the air things will be different.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
thanks Cooler... They really help.. it won't do for my setup unless I buy a new HV speed control and go from 8s to 10s. the HET 700-68-1400 is very low.. it won't be enough for lift off.. I got 2600watts and the L-59 it barely flew.. ofcourse I got plenty of lead weight on the nose.. and the battery packs are pushed as far forwards as they go..
so 10s weightwise is not goig to be a problem.. now i'm waiting for my batteries to charge and try with the intake lip AND the ducting on.. let's see now...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Intake ducting negates the need for an intake lip, the duct is supposed to match the fan when fitted and give a smooth inflow of air, the air intakes then become the lip, and the sharper they are the less effective they will be static, but in the air things will be different.
I'm well aware of that... BUT..

the ducting of the L-59 isn't exactly the most straight ducting Ive seen.. I ll give it a try with both
it's like a step down from the inlets to the fan so the adaptor is king of a ramp to the shroud..
many had this problem.. it was like that on the first runs which I got 3058watts before the fan blows.
I'm going to see if it works better this way.. in foamies the intake lip soemtimes improves the performance.. if it works here too I dont' see a reason why not do it the non-right way that .. works!!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,988 Posts
I should also mention, the JetFan uses a 5mm shaft.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
I should also mention, the JetFan uses a 5mm shaft.
and that is a big problem for me...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,988 Posts
Many had asked why not a 8mm shaft, I think it was to keep the integrity of the hub. He (Rainer) has pushed up to 6.5Kg of thrust, and over 5.5Kw through it so far, with no failures yet.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok ... last test.. with freshly charged batteries...
3035watts with 97.34amps
settles at 2800+ and 92amps
the ducting gets sucked in a bit but I guess that won't be an issue in the air..