to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
I'm willing to learn. Why can we use a heli motor and not a car motor? I honestly don't know.
again.. it's the same motor as hk...
slight changes.. but same specs and same made.

it only costs a bit more
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
thats a car motor pav
Most if not all the 40mm canned motors are "car" motors, I first used one for edf in a haoye 7 blade shroud. Then I shaved .5 mm off the inside of the CS12 and posted numbers...

Since then they've been made popular for EDF...

HET and some other makers were using 39mm motors with open cap ends the, "car motors" have closed ends to keep dirt out.

If the car motors end caps are kept closed (no holes drilled) the windings or magnets fail and it a very stank nasty way. If they're no holes drilled almost like a pressure cooker...the heat just keeps building up.

Take the end caps off the 40mm motors and drill holes over 2000 watts

Recently I tried another 7 blade haoye with a TACON 40mm, shoot...cant stand the rotor whine now...no matter how balanced they < 10 blade fans are the whine drowns out the white noise.

Check Himodel.com...they have 40mm Suxfly motors (yes, they're all suxfly made but some different magnets) motors and I think they might have the 1400kv a little less than the leopard stamp.

Edit: Here's the himodel 1400kv - http://www.himodel.com/electric/SUXF...r_4065_4Y.html

As I wrote earlier in this thread the HK 1400kv 40mm motor was actually 60mm long in a 74mm long can ...the 60mm long windings don't go to the end of the can but on 8s it's a go with holes drilling in both ends of the caps and gets the FF F100 going stupid fast...

The Himodel 1400kv 40mm motor seems to establish this because It's a 40mm D 60mm L can and its 40usd...

really thinking of getting a couple...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Sep 05, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:02 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Before drilling the holes I ran 7S and after dozens of flights it eventually smoked. Now with the holes I plan to run it 7S again but expect the temps to be 30-40F cooler.

Unclecrash
I left the plastic end piece in the motor as there is still enough room to allow airflow.
Cheers
Thanks for the reply.

What does everyone recommend if I was to go to a 8s setup? The 6s is fun, but just too slow. The vertical is lacking.
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:09 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,832 Posts
Quote:
I'm willing to learn. Why can we use a heli motor and not a car motor? I honestly don't know.
as erh just said car motors are a closed can design to keep dirt out the problem is they keep heat in. heli motors and edf motors are a open can or bell design to vent heat also the way the wires exit the can on the car motors can create an issue when installing to an edf housing, not always but in some situations. the wires are a minor issue the heat is the major problem with them. some guys will spend 80bucks on a car motor and take it apart and drill holes for cooling and reassemble to be used in their edf, I just prefer to buy the right edf motor in the first place and not have to modify it and risk possibly damaging it
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:17 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,832 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

What does everyone recommend if I was to go to a 8s setup? The 6s is fun, but just too slow. The vertical is lacking.
Het 700-68-1200kv
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:30 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Het 700-68-1200kv
Thanks bud. I sold my Habu32 and miss it already! Are any of the HK fiberglass 90mm jets contenders in the speed category of the habu32?
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:40 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,876 Posts
The Suxfly and Leopard motors look good but the threaded mounting holes won't match the CS fan shroud. The end cap would have to be drilled and tapped if you wanted the 4 regular mounting screw pattern.

erh777
The 4074 windings don't fill the can completely but they are about 1cm longer than the 4060 as are the magnets on the shaft. The 4074 will handle the load much better than a 4060 (as I found out).
Cheers

Compare the 2 motor shafts....
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Thanks bud. I sold my Habu32 and miss it already! Are any of the HK fiberglass 90mm jets contenders in the speed category of the habu32?
Check out the viper, for the 100 less you have to do some handy person work...

I have time so I usually choose the handy person work and having over 50 jets...

Hi I'm erh7771 and I'm addicted to EDF jets...

Cept today....

had one of those days...1 esc smoked on runway (better than in air), one plane crashed in the fence...trimmed really bad looks like a servo skipped a tooth, and one flipped...

O well
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
never realised the habu was fast :/ we got a couple at our field and the speed isn't exactly blistering.

as I told you with my HK L-59 and 3000watts which are easy to get with 8s I got around 140mph
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:47 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,876 Posts
Quote:
HK viperjet
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15536

and Mig 15
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...27mm_ARF_.html

come to mind...
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:47 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
had one of those days...1 esc smoked on runway (better than in air), one plane crashed in the fence...trimmed really bad looks like a servo skipped a tooth, and one flipped...
O well
You still got 47 left, what u complaining about LOL
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ph and I also have the HK viperjet90.. will be maidenned on the 20th this month
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:58 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
I have both, nice jets.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:13 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,742 Posts
I am going to drill my 4074 when I get my mill up and going, But Im also going to drill the sides. And I will add 2 tubes size of drinking straws into the side holes bent on a 90 degree and facing froward into the airstream of the fan. The tubes will be ovaled out to minimize there footprint into the airstream. Ram air effect it will be night and day I garantee it. I have dont this before on a glider and it was night and day difference. This time I will take temp reading before and after on this motor. I don't know when I will get to it but it will be cool to see how much heat I can shed.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash