HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
829 Posts
I am with skylineflyer on that we both ordered the fans together. He has one and i have two for my A10. Like to know if there is any way to distinguish any differenece between the material that may be noticed and seen. Is the top limit kv for this fan still around 40k? Guessing here but maybe 1200-1500kv on 6s would be the range for this fan? Thoughts and comments?
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,892 Posts
Skyline flier
HK has served me well with hundreds of items. Some have not been satisfactory, but considering everything the value can't be beat. Unfortunately these recent fans didn't have the reliability I came to expect from previous experience. Glad I didn't pay the going price ($45 ea) for the fans that failed. I am trying to get more info from HK regarding this issue and if possible will try and contact the manufacturer directly (but I can't find any contact info yet).

Yes, erh7771
It was glued with PU as mentioned in the post. The last fan (from the same batch) will be glued with epoxy after the hub area is roughed up with coarse sandpaper. I'm fully expecting it to fail.
Cheers Eric

PS
Sam51401
I could not see any difference in the defective fans from the others that are still working fine.
Good luck! At least on the A10, you can keep flying if you lose a fan.

Washab
Gluing the fans was an attempt to allow high powered setups in a fan that was failing when pushed.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Jul 19, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
722 Posts
I dont think PU glue is the way to go. To and "stength" to the blade hub parts...the ashesive used should be as close to the blade material as possible..im talk'n about elasticity and density modulous and all that stuff the MEs at my work talk about. I think PU dries a little flexible right?
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
I dont think PU glue is the way to go. To and "stength" to the blade hub parts...the ashesive used should be as close to the blade material as possible..im talk'n about elasticity and density modulous and all that stuff the MEs at my work talk about. I think PU dries a little flexible right?
I was thinking of trying the black super glue truggy racers put on their tires.

I've put 5200 watts through the 12blade 120mm with PU and it's way more forgiving than before, doesn't mind blade strikes were before it would throw a blade if you breathed on it wrong...the blades are no doubt heavier on the 120mm than the 90 but the RPM is less... I don't know how that works out with with comparable forces.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,218 Posts
Is there a possibility that the glue is responsible for the failures?

What if it expands when heated and dislodges the tabs?
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,016 Posts
what about running some carbon fiber around the tab and then putting the outer ring on?
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
722 Posts
I thought about some strands of carbon or kevlar...but i thinl it will screw up the fit of the ring to the blade root features. At some point here i think we just have to wait for revB or just order a stumax. Until then its just fun mess'n round as long as no one gets hurt. I think i will put a little kevlar tape around my shroud to prevent balistic blade syndrome...and possible injury.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
I thought about some strands of carbon or kevlar...but i thinl it will screw up the fit of the ring to the blade root features. At some point here i think we just have to wait for revB or just order a stumax. Until then its just fun mess'n round as long as no one gets hurt. I think i will put a little kevlar tape around my shroud to prevent balistic blade syndrome...and possible injury.
+1. Stay in the safezone guys or get a stu which is always safe.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Safe zone so far has been 10lbs of push, I've run so many at this thrust level I don't think about it any longer...hopefully it's not a bad batch.

What kind of CA are you using again?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
722 Posts
well i dont know if anything spinning that fast is always safe...but Stu was pretty fast to fix any shortcomings on his blades that were discovered in the field...and obviously he did way more testing at power levels that are common these days for 90mm fans (3000+watts). There are no free lunches...quality cost money. I would love to use a Stumax, but they take more work to fit into some foamy airframes...especially bifurcated ones that only supply mounting length for a Wemo clone Fan. I doubt Stu would sell just a rotor...too many issues with that. I wish he sold a shorter length housing.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
no.. he wouldn't.. he even prefers to sell PNP units so he won't have any problems with his customers..
I got mine as PNP to save the fuss and the potential of blade shaving. onw I'm sure it will work just fine.
and personally Iwouldn't put a stu in a foamie.. better composite planes.. unless ofcourse that foamie flies extremely well..
like the flyfly Hawk... but then you got the EDF mounting issue
Ive flown the flyfly hawk for 3 mins.. then my orange rx decided that it worked long enough. but those 3 mins were enough to understand how predictable that plane was..
anyway lesson learned.. no more compatibles for me.
and never rebuilded that plane.
next stu fan is going in an HET sniper XL 90 as soon as they come with a solution about the elevaor.. though I believe that some better jhnges will solve the prob with that..
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,441 Posts
Put the fan into an ExtremeRC Alloy housing if you want to be safer.(would be nicer anyway)
That is a simple solution for part one of the issue.
Part two - blades/hub - will need some machining work.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Put the fan into an ExtremeRC Alloy housing if you want to be safer.(would be nicer anyway)
That is a simple solution for part one of the issue.
Part two - blades/hub - will need some machining work.
then the price goes up a lot.. no reason to do that.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,441 Posts
No.. there is "no reason" to run it at more than its specs suggest and expect it to last.
But if you want to, then you have to find ways to make that work... whether costly or not.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
No.. there is "no reason" to run it at more than its specs suggest and expect it to last.
But if you want to, then you have to find ways to make that work... whether costly or not.
ok..let me put it this way to let you knwo how I think

if I go for more watts and want to build afast plane like the HET sniper XL 90 which is locked in my buy target .. I woudln't put this fan in.. I would save my rear a lot of time and spend some more to get a pnp stumax.

I woudlnt' bother do all of it my self and in the end find out that it will still might fail.. and also won't have a dynamically balanced edf for that purpose.

I prefer to put the CS12 in scale planes that won't go for speed.
that's how I see it.. so that was me talking from my point of view.. I'm not absolute about this.