HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
Don't pimp out Grandma
Minneapolis Minnesnowtah
Joined Nov 2007
782 Posts
Thanks Darrell, Rebel Squadron looks like a nice place to fly, my girlfriend is a newly board certified Veterinarian so were waiting on hearing back from one of the clinics down there on a job opportunity... so are fingers are crossed!
MNMadman is offline Find More Posts by MNMadman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Nam AV8TR
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2005
156 Posts
MNMadman

got our fingers crossed with you.
Sugarbear36 is offline Find More Posts by Sugarbear36
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,948 Posts
Stators should affect sound... and also the output too.
Imagine stators made for a certain rotor and its RPM design... they have to be angled, even curved, at a certain optimal. And even then, they are only truly 'perfectly' suited to that RPM aimed for main operation - though they should be in good region across a fialry wide range anyway.

Then throw in a different rotor... especially when you compare the CS12/10 to lower blade count rotors. The stator difference would become more important.
Less RPM, higher flow.... I expect would need lesser stator angle/curve.
So throw the rotor of a fan with lower angle's for its lower RPM, into the shroud designed fo rhigher RPM, and the airflow would hit more angled stators.... it would have to be more like hitting something, than flowing over/past. Even if a small perentage difference.. it would be different.
Hitting a larger angle would also increase load, to 'fight' past the stators that bit more.

So I am sure different housings (material thickness aspects also etc) would alter the sound and output. Even if very small in some cases.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,948 Posts
Also, it is extremely high speed airflow, so ANYTHING in its path is going to cause turbulence and 'noise' of some form and level. The stators would be a big item.
Even the airflow over the motor.... inrunner or outrunner - different. Wiring shape/path.
Then all the other commonly mentioned, duct flex, shape, area etc.

You could probably put in some form of vane, or even 'tube' (eg like short pipe held mid duct by vanes) to create sound effect results. And depending on the size/shape - still made aerodymanically of course - it could add just certain 'noise', and even at no thrust cost - but probably a bit of efflux speed cost.
Or imagine an item made with 'loose' trailing edges so it can vibrate..... (just a small or micro amount of course)
The possibilities are endless really.... but therefore would need a lot of testing to see what did what.

For the CS12 rotor more typical 'just as it is fitted' cases you have: Shroud, motor, ducting (covers flex, diameters, area/volume, shapes) that are involved. Then add your own.....

You could mount a Kazoo in there.......
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,666 Posts
Thanks a mill Pete! Explains it perfectly! I more than likely won't change the shroud on my existing airframes to the CS shroud, but I will definitely compare the two shrouds for future installs.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Good overview of stator function or in some cases, malfunction. One biggie to consider IMO is that CS most likely did zero testing before deciding on their stator design. In some cases fan sound and performance both improve by adding more stators or more aggressively curved stators. Tam's 100HP is a good example. He added two stators and both sound and thrust improved in the 3kw to 4kw power range.

Point is that mixing and matching rotor /shroud combinations can produce good results sometimes.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Good overview of stator function or in some cases, malfunction. One biggie to consider IMO is that CS most likely did zero testing before deciding on their stator design. In some cases fan sound and performance both improve by adding more stators or more aggressively curved stators. Tam's 100HP is a good example. He added two stators and both sound and thrust improved in the 3kw to 4kw power range.

Point is that mixing and matching rotor /shroud combinations can produce good results sometimes.
Not only that..at low power is also improvement the thrust and efflux by 7%.

Bob Park do his homework very well in the computer model design the stators to be work effecient any RPM rotor.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Has anyone cut the shroud down to a standard 90mm edf size? They're obviously longer than the typical shroud size. The flyfly bae hawk is what I'm trying to fit it in, but if need be, I'd like to be able to remove it. Or should I skip the CS shroud and use the flyfly shroud with the CS fan?
I cut my CS shroud down to the Freewing size (all off the back end). I posted some pictures somewhere on this thread. Easy with a hacksaw then sand flat. Makes swapping noisy fans out a snap!

I didn't like using the FW shroud as the CS blades have too much gap at the leading edge and it can only handle a 36mm motor when I'm using a 40mm (sanded down to fit the CS shroud tightly).
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Jun 19, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
hi Eric, may i know which ESC are u using for your HET 700-68 1400kv setup? And any external BEC? Pls kindly advise. tks!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20696

HK changed the branding on this since I bought mine (Helidrive I think) but it is the same.
Separate BEC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18521

This was soldered to the battery leads running to the ESC.

I have about a dozen flights with this setup running 9 and 10S. No issues.
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:01 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20696

HK changed the branding on this since I bought mine (Helidrive I think) but it is the same.
Separate BEC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18521

This was soldered to the battery leads running to the ESC.

I have about a dozen flights with this setup running 9 and 10S. No issues.
Cheers
Thanks for your detail info and recommendation.
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
gal
Joined Sep 2009
100 Posts
Alloy DPS-2 Series 90mm + cs12

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=21145
can i fit the cs12 blade fan into this one on 8s looks like a high power setup did any one try
gal is online now Find More Posts by gal
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal View Post
can i fit the cs12 blade fan into this one on 8s looks like a high power setup did any one try
Nope, try one of the older 6s lander shrouds
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,666 Posts
Thanks guys for the stator knowledge! I'll definitely think about using the CS shroud next time for a comparison of the two with the same motors.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
gal
Joined Sep 2009
100 Posts
maby this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal View Post
and this one
gal is online now Find More Posts by gal
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Thanks guys for the stator knowledge! I'll definitely think about using the CS shroud next time for a comparison of the two with the same motors.
The CS shroud is thicker then most other shrouds too. Had I been using another shroud with mine when the rotor blew I'm sure there would have been damage to the fuse too. I'm even considering wrapping some thin sheet metal around the shroud in the rotor area.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash