SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
Outrunners will never be as efficient as inrunners, and by the very nature of their windings being internal, the heat soak is decieving especially into the magnets. Inrunners have their windings around the outside of the magnets, and heat transfers through the thin alloy sleeve, add the motor to an alloy fan shroud and you have a very effective heatsink and a long lasting setup that can handle hi power and hi ambient temps.

Anyone using 60% thrust tube is doing something very wrong, 80% is the best target diameter for balance of velocity and amp draw, maybe 75% in a pinch.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2008
181 Posts
Mannyman,

I have the Tacon 1700 on this fan on 6S 4400 40C, it ran 93 amps, 6.2 lbf Fn at max without inlet or tailpipe on 23.5V. ~ 2200 W. just barely warm after several 30 second runs. Don't know if the kv is accurate or not.
mandoman is offline Find More Posts by mandoman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:44 AM
edf flyer
Mannyman535's Avatar
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
Mannyman,

I have the Tacon 1700 on this fan on 6S 4400 40C, it ran 93 amps, 6.2 lbf Fn at max without inlet or tailpipe on 23.5V. ~ 2200 W. just barely warm after several 30 second runs. Don't know if the kv is accurate or not.
Mandoman
Thanks. What esc are you using.
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2008
181 Posts
Hobbywing 100A HV, but may have to upgrade to a 120A or 150A to handle the high current, 93A is a bit too close to the rated current for comfort.
mandoman is offline Find More Posts by mandoman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:32 AM
Registered User
Bill Diedrich's Avatar
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
76 Posts
So on average it seems like a 1400kv motor on 7 cells is a good
medium or "sweet spot" for this fan unit to get in the region of
7-8 pounds of thrust with around a 90-95% exit on the exhaust cone.......
Comments welcome, as I don't have a lot of capitol to spend on a bunch
of motors that may not work to well.

I'm thinking HET 700-68-1400 or the 700-83-1445 with a 100-150 ESC
Am I close on what I'm looking for, this will be in a jet of a re-design,
modified Bill Evans Simitar Pole Star, will have retracts, estimated
weight of 7 1/2 pounds RTF.

Bill D.
Bill Diedrich is offline Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:17 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich View Post
So on average it seems like a 1400kv motor on 7 cells is a good...
That's for the 1400kv "turnigy" 40mm diameter car motor. Drill cooling holes in it and prolly can go around 3500 watts and lost a step

Quote:
....medium or "sweet spot" for this fan unit to get in the region of
7-8 pounds of thrust with around a 90-95% exit on the exhaust cone.......
Comments welcome, as I don't have a lot of capitol to spend on a bunch
of motors that may not work to well...
Shoot, wish I had the time to put the HK L3025 1500kv motor I just tested in plane but I honestly think it'll do. If you have a 5000mah 6s pack around 30c it'll push the motor for some time and that motor is 16usd. It does 7.1lbs settled at 90amps and I bench ran it for 8mins and used 4500mah of a Turnigy 40c pack 5amp pack doing it and it get rid of the heat pretty good and kept a good portion of it's RPM properties in tack....it was greasy but I think that's a good thing.

Quote:
...I'm thinking HET 700-68-1400 or the 700-83-1445 with a 100-150 ESC
Am I close on what I'm looking for, this will be in a jet of a re-design,
modified Bill Evans Simitar Pole Star, will have retracts, estimated
weight of 7 1/2 pounds RTF. Bill D.
What cell count are you thinking of using?
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:45 AM
Registered User
Bill Diedrich's Avatar
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
76 Posts
[QUOTE=

...I'm thinking HET 700-68-1400 or the 700-83-1445 with a 100-150 ESC
Am I close on what I'm looking for, this will be in a jet of a re-design,
modified Bill Evans Simitar Pole Star, will have retracts, estimated
weight of 7 1/2 pounds RTF.


What cell count are you thinking of using?[/QUOTE]

7 cells 5000mah 40C 3&4 cell in series
Bill Diedrich is offline Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
Registered User
koren9's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
113 Posts
Hi ,
I'm going to run the H3126 1300kv with this fan , now since it's an outrunner - the wires are in the front , what is the best way to route them to the ESC ?

Thank you ,
koren9 is offline Find More Posts by koren9
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:16 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koren9 View Post
Hi ,
I'm going to run the H3126 1300kv with this fan , now since it's an outrunner - the wires are in the front , what is the best way to route them to the ESC ?

Thank you ,
I drilling a hole right near one of the stators ..as close as I could get the hole around 3\8"
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:31 AM
Registered User
koren9's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
113 Posts
Do u have a pic by any chance ? you mean drilling the plastic mount right ?
koren9 is offline Find More Posts by koren9
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Picked up 3 more CS12/90mm. Couldn't pass up the HK deal with 8mm adapter also.

Along with 3 haoya 7/90mm. I like those.

Hope they don't blow up.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:39 PM
Fly it like you stole it !
bobbit4447's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Coolum Beach
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koren9 View Post
Do u have a pic by any chance ? you mean drilling the plastic mount right ?
You will have to drill 2 holes - I used a dremel with 90 Deg attachment & milling bits. As there are 4 motor mounting positions & 7 guide vanes, rotate motor to check which of the 4 positions puts the hole best between the guide vanes. The other hole is in the outer case radially outward from the 1st hole.
Make sense?

Bob
bobbit4447 is offline Find More Posts by bobbit4447
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:56 PM
Registered User
koren9's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
113 Posts
OK now I got you , It should be easy , thank you very my friend
koren9 is offline Find More Posts by koren9
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
CS 12 vs Haoye 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
Picked up 3 more CS12/90mm....

Along with 3 haoya 7/90mm. I like those...

Steve
Steve, do you know how those two (Haoye 7-blade and CS 12-blade) compare in terms of amps draw? (I guess they would be similar, the Haoye drawing slightl less, but that is just guessing on my part - regarding efficiency they will be similar, too, but the CS sounds better...)
thanks! Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:44 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Steve, do you know how those two (Haoye 7-blade and CS 12-blade) compare in terms of amps draw? (I guess they would be similar, the Haoye drawing slightl less, but that is just guessing on my part - regarding efficiency they will be similar, too, but the CS sounds better...)
thanks! Clemens
VERY similar watt\thrust,

I was trying to get this CS 90 12blade sound out of the haoye 7 for a while, wish i knew about ducting then
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $40 shipped mjbennett9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 7 Oct 06, 2011 10:47 PM
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $50 shipped mjbennett9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Oct 05, 2011 09:14 PM
Sold Change Sun electric retracts Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 May 23, 2011 06:20 AM
Sold Change Sun Electronic retracts w/Lander struts hole digger Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 May 06, 2011 01:27 PM
Video 6 and 12 blade 90mm fan sound test tom bacsanyi Electric Plane Talk 3 Dec 10, 2009 07:01 PM