SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
659 Posts
It's those dilithium crystals and the warp drive

I just want to get the sound and see what a differnce I get out of the fan. I fly at 5,000 ASL and in the summer sometimes the density altitude is above 10,000. Like my planes I've got to add size and pitch to my props to get the same performance from a given power system as I would near sea level.

All I can do with an EDF is add volts or amps or both. Adding several blades will be an interesting experiment for me regardless of how it's sounds. That and it won't cost me 350 bucks to find out if it was worth it too.

Q
QueeQueg is offline Find More Posts by QueeQueg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
Whoever thinks that pulling over 100 Amps on 8S to produce a measly 7lbs (3.17kg) of thrust deserves to buy this, put it in their jets, get short flight times, destroy their batteries, possibly burn up their ESC and planes in the process

These people should then get out of the electric hobby and go into petrol because they simply don't get what is meant by Efficiency

It my opinion this is not a copy but a bad attempt. If it was a copy it should perform the same as the original.

So go ahead...buy it then post a video

I understand the new multiblade designs pull more amps but my old 4 blade Schubuler DS51 on 8S pulls 52A and produces more thrust....think about that...should having more blades pull DOUBLE the AMPS ??...
Yeah, Im gonna have to call BS on that too. Everything I could find on the DS-51 says it needs well over 2000 watts to get over 7 lbs of thrust.

Bring on the high blade count inefficient fans.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,647 Posts
+1 on the bs call, a 90mm fan would need to have an efficiency of ~100% to get near 7lbs installed with only 1600 watts. My midi gets a little more than 7lbs installed on ~2500 watts. The motor is well matched to the fan drawing ~70-80amps.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:06 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,763 Posts
Quote:
Whoever thinks that pulling over 100 Amps on 8S to produce a measly 7lbs (3.17kg) of thrust deserves to buy this, put it in their jets, get short flight times, destroy their batteries, possibly burn up their ESC and planes in the process...
That's typical for installed thrust, it's not a bench run...a thrust tub and intakes can take away static thrust while installed in an aircraft.

Quote:
...I understand the new multiblade designs pull more amps but my old 4 blade Schubuler DS51 on 8S pulls 52A and produces more thrust....think about that...should having more blades pull DOUBLE the AMPS ??...
I'd like to see a vid of this with amps and oz of thrust INSTALLED, hell...I'd like to see it benched.

Schub would make a good case for buying their fans if I can take a 60 amp SUPPP 8s esc and 2 45c 2200mah 4s in series, push more than 7pds and safely have a 3min WOT flight.

There's not a fan out there pushing more than 7lbs settled on the bunch using around 1500 watts.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:55 PM
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
My Mistake!!! I thought that was static thrust not installed, thrust.

i read the data only, and was a bull out of the gates, I guess that will teach me a lesson, for reading short

Sorry!!!! about that Flip Flop

this is what i found for the 90mm setup.
Zimm is offline Find More Posts by Zimm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:41 AM
United States, UT, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
My Mistake!!! I thought that was static thrust not installed, thrust.

i read the data only, and was a bull out of the gates, I guess that will teach me a lesson, for reading short

Sorry!!!! about that Flip Flop

this is what i found for the 90mm setup.
Its all good.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Last edited by Flip Flop; Oct 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Oct 2009
544 Posts
I will try to get another video on MON.
Last edited by Flip Flop; Oct 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:36 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Are these avaliable yet and if so where can i buy one?
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:41 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
^^^^ What he said
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Apr 2009
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
Are these avaliable yet and if so where can i buy one?
No they're not available yet. Keep up with this thread and you should get info on when and where here. should be soon!

Q
QueeQueg is offline Find More Posts by QueeQueg
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:57 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Here you go boys..the video on post #78 in the link below should put the foamy ain't worthy of a high end fan debate to rest for good. The red Hawk and both T-33 are "foamys" The Thunderbird T-33 and the red Hawk are mine.. Can I do an 8 point roll or what!!! and it was done with cheap not glassed foam airframe and a kick butt Stu fan.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1500528&page=6
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Oct 17, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,730 Posts
ps andy....i really hate you after seeing that 8 point on film!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Oct 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Here you go boys..the video on post #78 in the link below should put the foamy ain't worthy of a high end fan debate to rest for good. The red Hawk and both T-33 are "foamys" The Thunderbird T-33 and the red Hawk are mine.. Can I do an 8 point roll or what!!! and it was done with cheap not glassed foam airframe and a kick butt Stu fan.

Thats a good video! and a nice 8 point roll.....I hate you to.
P.S How did you get that foamy to fly like a composite?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post

VERY nice flying!!! One of the best event vids I've seen in a second or two.

Do you know if the Hawk was glassed or sheeted any? Its a Fly Fly model, I have their F4 and that hawk looks pristine...my F4 doesn't look anywhere near that finish after 2 years of flying it.

I was thinking about building a FF Hawk and sheeting it to get a gloss finish on it.

Is the Draken a kit or a scratch build... wish I was there.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Oct 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:52 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,730 Posts
the hawk isnt glassed. draken is a scratch build
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut