Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Hmmm, that's about right...FBT1 did around 80 amps on 6s with 1400kv motor

Also, what are your thrust figures? you might have a more efficient motor or esc.
2300g of thrust - outrunner.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:11 AM
RAVI KOTHARI
Bombay,India
Joined Nov 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
I'm not really sure what to make of that statement.

I have lived in Texas and Eastern NM most all of my life. Out here a mans word is his bond. I am Loyal to a fault, even in private.

I hope Stu can weather this storm.

By that i mean, that some people may on a public forum as this one, tout the virtues of brand loyalty/intelectual propert rights etc, but they may just go out and buy a CS which in stu's words is a balatant copy.
It was a general statement and not directed towards Texas.
I also hope that Stumax survives, but in the current environment he will find the going Tough. Electric EDF is the fastest growing segment in our hobby, and everyone wants a piece of the high performance pie. And they will get it only if they provide Extremely high Performance at pedestrian prices.

Also the price on the CS is too tempting for most, and while some may lambast the purchase or even posession of the same in public, they may on the other hand eventually buy one just for comparison or even installation.
There lies the lure of "cheap".
I may even go out on a limb here but i think we are about to see a Flood of 11/12 Bladed 90mm fans from almost everybody on the market, Het ,wemo, chinese knockoffers. Get ready guys, the days of the high Pitched whine is almost over, Clean and majestic and more turbine like sounding EDF airplanes will be more popular, and i can guarantee that all the fans will be in the 50-80$ bracket.
CS may seem like a trailblazer in Knock off terms for now, but will be more the norm in a few months.
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Delete
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: wrong thread.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
2300g of thrust - outrunner.

On bench or in plane?
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
RAVI KOTHARI
Bombay,India
Joined Nov 2005
257 Posts
Now how about some flight videos' , its tiring to read about all the numbers without any flight video.

And people please buy some great trusted reliable motors and post some real world numbers with reliable KV motors , and those 100+ mph videos.

cause this thread is veering towards what is right & what is wrong.
and we can spend all day and all our lives talking about it.
Morally Everybody knows what is right, but that (judging by this thread) is not what everyone on this thread is buying.

I wish Stu a great future for his company and hope he continues to create world class products, but he should bear in mind the ground realities and act accordingly to safeguard his interests.

Maybe his next EDF will fly at 115 mph @ 80$ V/s 120 mph @ 375$, atleast he will have a profitable company, and flyers will support him by buying an original Stumax.
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikoth View Post
And people please buy some great trusted reliable motors and post some real world numbers with reliable KV motors , and those 100+ mph videos.
It's been done, you just have to search through the thread. Plenty of people have used Scorpion, HET, and NEU to know how this fan performs.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
It's been done, you just have to search through the thread. Plenty of people have used Scorpion, HET, and NEU to know how this fan performs.
Yeap, I posted some bench vids two pages back
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
968 Posts
I do understand what you are saying Ravi. It is tempting to go cheap, hell that's what got my interest in this thread.

The bottom line is if Stu, Tam and the other big names want to survive in this new environment, they must decrease their price and increase quantity. They have quality that's for sure and that's why I have a Stu fan and several of Tam's units. They have the product, get them out there and the knock offs won't stand a chance. 40 buck for a CS, 140.00 -150.00 for a good motor....tempting. If the big names could sell a there units for 250.00 or so, ready to run, CS would have to look at making fans for office cooling!

Sorry, I would like to see some numbers with quality motors.
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I would like to see some numbers with quality motors.
Search the thread. While certainly not exhaustive, enough testing with quality motors has been done to make informed decisions on KV.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
916 Posts
I've read the entire thread now, and I'm still unsure what the best motor is , thinking about 1600-1700kv for 6s. Would like to stay under 100 amps.
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
I do understand what you are saying Ravi. It is tempting to go cheap, hell that's what got my interest in this thread.

The bottom line is if Stu, Tam and the other big names want to survive in this new environment, they must decrease their price and increase quantity. They have quality that's for sure and that's why I have a Stu fan and several of Tam's units. They have the product, get them out there and the knock offs won't stand a chance. 40 buck for a CS, 140.00 -150.00 for a good motor....tempting. If the big names could sell a there units for 250.00 or so, ready to run, CS would have to look at making fans for office cooling!..
Het fans sell for 50 - 60 usd ,10 lbs of thrust have been reached on them using 40 usd motors and have been done reliably.

Quote:
...Sorry, I would like to see some numbers with quality motors.
Hets, Suppos, scorpions have been used and posted
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420flyboy View Post
I've read the entire thread now, and I'm still unsure what the best motor is , thinking about 1600-1700kv for 6s. Would like to stay under 100 amps.
Sounds about right...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420flyboy View Post
1600-1700kv if the kv rating is correct and the motor is efficient. The tests have shown that it is not easy to find a motor that "works" since either the kv is not right and/or the motor may not be efficient.

Knife Liddle tested the Freewing 1750Kv outrunner (Gold color) and was quite happy with it.
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
On bench or in plane?
I don't have a bench to test on, so it's in the airframe. I'm sure that's what makes a difference to other because they can use bench # for different airframe...correct? Is 2300g too low?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
i do understand what you are saying ravi. It is tempting to go cheap, hell that's what got my interest in this thread.

The bottom line is if stu, tam and the other big names want to survive in this new environment, they must decrease their price and increase quantity. They have quality that's for sure and that's why i have a stu fan and several of tam's units. They have the product, get them out there and the knock offs won't stand a chance. 40 buck for a cs, 140.00 -150.00 for a good motor....tempting. If the big names could sell a there units for 250.00 or so, ready to run, cs would have to look at making fans for office cooling!

Sorry, i would like to see some numbers with quality motors.
++++100