HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbit4447 View Post
Please don't confuse readers with dribble.
.......B
Oh, I don't think long time EDF guys would EVER accuse Klaus/Winmodels of spouting "dribble"
Careful who you cross swords (keyboards) with.
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fly it like you stole it !
Australia, QLD, Coolum Beach
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
My apologies to Klaus if interpreted that way.
B
bobbit4447 is offline Find More Posts by bobbit4447
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbit4447 View Post
The statement I made is correct. I attach a reference from AMCA (The authority that Certified American Fan Manufacturers use) in order to calculate HP/watts for fans of varying diameters. Please don't confuse readers with dribble.
B
Hi bobbit
Please read my post again. I did say that you were quite correct!!
But even in the pdf you coppied are five (5) equations not just the one quoted initially. But you must consider all of them to get the right picture.
Particularly with EDFs your concern is mainly thrust, and for that you need a bit more than than just the fan laws!

To give you a bit more to read have a look at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536911

Have fun with fans

KRS

btw. what do you actually mean by "confuse readers with dribble" ?
Rudi3000 is offline Find More Posts by Rudi3000
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,592 Posts
Since the difference in area is only ~38% for 80mm fan cut down from a 90mm fan the difference between them is only ~38% of the amp load, If the 80mm is pulling 100 amps the 90mm will be pulling ~138 amps. This is all things equal except fan swept area.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Fly it like you stole it !
Australia, QLD, Coolum Beach
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Eric
My reference was made to geometrically similar fans.
The discussion on cut down fans is on another thread.

Bob
bobbit4447 is offline Find More Posts by bobbit4447
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,249 Posts
But that's only applicable if the load on the fan is constant across its radius, which it isn't (twist and speed are different). It's probably a decent enough ballpark assumption though if you err on the side of caution.
SMorrisRC is online now Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
520 Posts
cs 90 mm

Hello,
Well some good news my CS fan will be staying in my L39.I had a re think on how to loose some weight,by changing the rear mounted elevator servo, moving the fan forwards enabling me to shed some nose weight and use a smaller rx batt.
I also had a play around with the motor timing and changed my lipos to some new 45c ones getting me an extra 200 watts.I had two flights today and its a lot better with ample performance and the great sound,
cheers Euan..
ps lads stop all the high brow testing/arguing and actually stick it in an airframe you will love it
egall232 is offline Find More Posts by egall232
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egall232 View Post
...he high brow testing/arguing and actually stick it in an airframe you will love it
lol...everytime I bring out the airframes I want to "stick" it into I ended up flying them...

Damn this hobby is addictive..
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
But that's only applicable if the load on the fan is constant across its radius, which it isn't (twist and speed are different).
It looks as if the same misconceptions reappear every five years or so, because there is no continuity of knowledge.
Certainly the load on the fan accross it's radius should be constant. It must be the aim of the designer to achieve this as well as possible in his search for efficiency. But then I think that you don't want to design an EDF.
On the other end, how do you want to judge the quality if you don't know the desgn principles?

BTW, I don't agree with the majority here, that the CS90 is a "clone" of Stu's fan, because the characteristics of Stu's "original" have been used long before, i.e a large number of individual blades fitted to a hub and the use of "scimitar" shape blades with a “hook” at the tip.

KRS
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi3000 View Post
It looks as if the same misconceptions reappear every five years or so, because there is no continuity of knowledge.
That is because reading is different than understanding.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
That is because reading is different than understanding.
Do you say that the newer members of RCG are stupider than in the past?

KRS
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi3000 View Post
Do you say that the newer members of RCG are stupider than in the past?

KRS
Not at all, just a comment from observations during my education and in my professional life that happens to apply here as well. A generality if you will, reading about a concept is a lot different than understanding the fundamentals behind them. I guess I was not really speaking to timelines of misconceptions.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Oct 2010
958 Posts
heres a 12 Blades 90mm EDF sounds good and looks good to me for just $40 lol you have to see the landing thow its brill

heres the link to buy one

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...?prod=CS90-8mm

L-39.wmv (2 min 59 sec)
rabone is offline Find More Posts by rabone
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:23 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,249 Posts
Actually, I do understand.
The most efficient fan, much like any aerofoil, will have an elliptic loading, to give the best lift to drag ratio (in this case equivalent to thrust vs shaft power required). This is always the case as the tips cannot carry any load by definition, so you can never achieve a constant load across the fan.
The closer to it you try to get, the more thrust you'll get, but it won't be as efficient by definition as you'll have changed your oswalds efficiency factor (or whatever the equivalent term is in fan design).
SMorrisRC is online now Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:17 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
X-Flight now sells just the 8mm adaptor for about $10.

http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...=&lang=en&ev=#