HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:27 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,938 Posts
What is all the fuss about? I'm new to EDF but it is blatantly obvious, even to me, that the CS and Stumax fans, just to name one comparison product, are TOTALLY different in their intended use and intended buyer. You'd have to be pretty stupid to buy a CS fan thinking you just got Stumax performance for a bargain. Just looking at the power consumption vs watts input will tell you everything you need to know.

The bottom line is that CS has introduced a budget-priced fan with a very nice sound. I appreciate that very much. I have always hoped for more jetlike sound, and here it is at a decent price, in what seems to be a decent product quality-wise. Do I expect it to do 12lb thrust without coming apart? Of course not. That is what XPS and Stumax and Schubie are there for. Do I think the CS fans would be perfectly at home in a big Fly Fly foamie? You bet. So @Ron101, there is indeed a place for this product, in my view, even in the larger sizes, and I don't think it is fair to wave the safety flag. The bottom line is that you are dealing in danger ANYTIME you have stuff rotating at multiples of 10,000 RPM, so again, one would have to be an imbecile not to follow the appropriate precautions in all cases.

I also appreciate what Stu and other premium fan manufacturers have done, which in my mind is bring turbine performance to the EDF realm. So who is whining about budget now? I bet the turbine guys have a lot of grousing too about "budget" $750 EDF systems not being the real deal etc. despite the fact they approach "little" turbine thrust levels. Different strokes for different folks.

In summary, looks like a decent product to me, and at this price point worth a try...
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:04 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
^^^^ agreed. 100%

how can any of us talk about something we haven't had in our hands yet, except one person who's commented that it looks, sounds and feels good for the price point? past history would dictate cheapness I suppose, but perhaps, just perhaps, this might be different. even if it's cheap, people will buy anyway, just for the sound and they'll be careful about putting huge numbers through them. we all know about cheap Chinese stuff, so it's not like many will be going into this deal expecting Stumax quality from a Chinese product. we all know better and those that don't, get aquainted very quickly. I can't wait for them to come out. I'm gonna order one of every size and try them out. why not? it's not like you are wasting gobs of money to find they're total crap, right!?
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:27 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I like the changsun fans. The first fan they started selling, to my knowledge, was like the eflite delta V.

Infact, it's so similar, i would NOT be suprised if changsun is the supplier for Eflite. my 70mm deltaV and my 90mm changsun are identical apart from size. Not only the shape, but construction, seems to be exact same mix on the rotor. Extremely stiff blades. when you flick them, they sound like metal. anyone who had the habu fans knows what i'm talking about.

I've ran lots of fans, cheap to expensive, carbon or plastic, what have you. My first impressions of my changsun is that it's going to be fine for the amount of power i intend to use on it.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:23 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
When I read Kevin mention Ralph Dibiasse, I'd say give Kevin some respect simply because if you don't know of Ralf then how could think what you thought?. That man(Ralph) has helped pioneer the DF world, talk about copying take at good look a BVM. Don't worry its all good.... I don't even know Kevin but I do know Ralph and pick his brain regularly!
Tom J
YOU HORSEPOWER DEVIL...THANKS .. IM STILL LEARNIN..
RAPPTORS is online now Find More Posts by RAPPTORS
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:33 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,225 Posts
I've been reading through the posts here, and I think most folks might be missing some science here. Fans, irregardless of who makes them, must be desgined for the engine that powers them, and the intended speed of the airplane. For example, the attached 120mm fan is designed specifically for 150 mph flight at 45,000 rpm. If your airplane has too much drag for 150mph, or your kv rating can't get the fan to 45,000 rpm, then this fan won't work for you as well as one that matches your setup. So what fan works well in one plane might not work as well in another. The original fan in this post looks like it has quite a lot of AOA, so I'm guessing that either it needs a very powerful low kv motor, or the airplane needs to be able to go very, very fast. Hope that makes sense.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:50 PM
Guarantee at least one landing
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaticus View Post
Amazing discussion...

Who's copying who?
Gee, thats drawing a long bow...
Burdo is offline Find More Posts by Burdo
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
In summary, looks like a decent product to me, and at this price point worth a try...
+1 I have been having a TON of fun flying a Keecat with a Haoye 4.5" fan (BVM clone right??) around that put out 11 pounds of thrust and got me 120 mph flat and level. Not bad for a plane I had all of $400 into. If I had the money I would buy a Stumax, but I dont. Cant wait for this one to come out.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:58 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,874 Posts
These look brilliant!
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
I've been reading through the posts here, and I think most folks might be missing some science here. Fans, irregardless of who makes them, must be desgined for the engine that powers them, and the intended speed of the airplane. For example, the attached 120mm fan is designed specifically for 150 mph flight at 45,000 rpm. If your airplane has too much drag for 150mph, or your kv rating can't get the fan to 45,000 rpm, then this fan won't work for you as well as one that matches your setup. So what fan works well in one plane might not work as well in another. The original fan in this post looks like it has quite a lot of AOA, so I'm guessing that either it needs a very powerful low kv motor, or the airplane needs to be able to go very, very fast. Hope that makes sense.
YEP.PROP SIZE AND PITCH GOES WITH PLANE ,NOT MOTOR.. WITH I/C motors ,designers had to get the power curve of the engine to match the load curve of the fan. Not easy. Fuel, comp. tuned pipe ,fuel,.,all were in the mix..ELECTRIC IS ALL OUT! PUNCH IT AND GO.. NO SMOKE COMES OUT,YOUR GOOD TO GO. lol..Now we need lighter battries.. 6lbs of battry is not good.
Last edited by RAPPTORS; Oct 13, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
This fan will never see 45000. rpm.{80VOLTS-500 AMPS MAYBE} To many blades,way to much pitch. 150,eflux is what BYRON 5 bladed fans put out...LOOKS BAD IN BOTH DESIGN AREAS. Planes {jets}need dynamic thrust. TAM AND STU "S fans have "logic" in there design. This fan looks like it for a boat..
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:16 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, that fan looks very yesteryear and quite outdated. kinda reminds me of a greenhouse fan. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:53 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,225 Posts
It's not a real fan. It's a cartoon. It's a solidworks model I made in about 10 minutes to show the pitch needed for the stated 45000 rpm and 150 mph. This is basic geometry to make a point. This is only to show how a fan is designed as far as pitch goes. lol
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
796 Posts
I bet the 90mm will push my F-104 very quickly. I better get it done!

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,010 Posts
???

[QUOTE=RAPPTORS;19587308]YEP.PROP SIZE AND PITCH GOES WITH PLANE ,NOT MOTOR
I hope your kidding....
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:15 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
I don't know what all the fuss is about... This fan is clearly marketed to a consumer who doesn't want to spend $500+ on a fan in order to get a better sound. I personally would only us this in a foamie. As that is basically all I fly in the edf realm, at the moment. When I do make the move to composites I would not risk my hard earned money/composite plane on this edf. Being a higher end plane why drop in a $50 fan on a $1000+ plane/electronics, non sense. All in all this will not have any affect on stu, wemo, shub, & etc fans as their consumers will continue to use their products.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin