Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
GilUriel
Israel
Joined Apr 2008
203 Posts
Discussion
Night FPV - Tips please

Hi,

I'm planning to go night FPV soon and would like to have your tips and suggestions to make it a successful one.

Any tip will be appreciated

Gil
giluriel is offline Find More Posts by giluriel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Jan 2011
130 Posts
One thing that is a huge help for me is running a 100' string of Christmas lights on the runway. Lights on plane for takeoff unless you launch from video.
peatmoss is offline Find More Posts by peatmoss
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:09 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Make sure you have a camera that works at night. Other then that, make sure you fly somewhere that is know to you and has plenty of landmarks. It looks totally different at night.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:34 AM
GilUriel
Israel
Joined Apr 2008
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
Make sure you have a camera that works at night. Other then that, make sure you fly somewhere that is know to you and has plenty of landmarks. It looks totally different at night.
Before doing day FPV I have studied the location I'm flying in. but that's easy..
Google earth shows what I will see.

What should I consider or memorize as landmarks for night flying ?
What are the things that are easily spotted from the air at night ?

Gil
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:41 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,079 Posts
Streets with street lights, lit parking lots, traffic lights. Should be pretty
easy to answer this for yourself by scouting the area you want to fly from
the ground. Avoid flying some place that's completely dark in one direction (like a
park on the edge of town). As long as their are lights all around, it's not that
hard. My first (and so far only) night flight was in rural Kansas and there were
only lights in one direction, and jet black in the other. Didn't end well.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:26 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
It depends on what kind of area you are flying...

Big intersections, big stores, lit parking lots, bridges... these when near a city or town.

Your car lights, or ground station lights...this when you are in the middle of nowhere.

I was able to see the LED from my oracle from 2000 ft away when I flew in a non lit parking lot.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:40 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
1st - know the difference between "no light" and "low light". Also realize that "low light" to the human eye can be plenty of light for a camera (depends on the camera).

* TARGET *

If you are going to be flying over a town/city with lights - then the stock lens is much better than any low-light lens that I have seen. They overexpose *way* too much. IMO, an OSD cam w/ a LLL will prob be the best to develop for night ops - as you can change the settings so they don't overexpose.

* LAUNCH *

This one is very important. 8p is the latest chance that I get to get my planes up at night from my primary site. There is NO light (to my eye) after that to see the plane (I launch LOS 100% of the time). But just bc you can launch doesn't mean that you can land - this depends on how much light is over your field. Here are some tricks that I use

** car headlights ** I point my car towards the approach --- and flick them on when I'm a mile out to setup for my landing. Even this is not optimal, and I have to trust my OSD from there - which I do.

** strobe ** This is the strobe that I use for night ops now. I have seen it 3 miles out. I'm sure that I can turn it on further out and see it as well. I do prefer a strobe that directed instead of omni-directional --- this way fewer people can see me when I am flagging my plane home. The less attention that I can draw to myself at night, the better.

NIGHT OPS : STOCK FATSHARK OMNI (13 min 20 sec)

9-11 Flight (5 min 26 sec)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:34 PM
GilUriel
Israel
Joined Apr 2008
203 Posts
Guys ..
Thanks for these great tips.
I must say there are many good things here which I haven't thought of.

I'll probably do it in a week or so and .. I'll try to upload a video

TNX
Gil
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
What setup are you using?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
Poland / SILESIA
Joined Nov 2005
98 Posts
540TVL

LED illuminated model was seen from 3-4 km
runway was lighted also

Night Fly Autodrom (6 min 35 sec)

nocka2 (8 min 18 sec)
hannson is offline Find More Posts by hannson
Last edited by hannson; Oct 11, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
I should be flying right now!
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
I just got back from flying at night. It was a really nice flight. My only problem was judging the landing elevation, I flared to early. I need an easy way to illuminate the landing area, can't really get my truck lights pointed at. I like the christmas light idea, what would work off a 3s lipo?
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Jan 2011
130 Posts
I use 110v house Christmas lights as there is ac power near by. If you are near your car you can use the same with a $30 inverter plugged in to the car lighter jack. I only turn them on when on approach as I don't want to draw a crowd. Same goes for the lights on the plane, on for launch and off most of the flight. I use one of those rc switches to control the lights. Next thing I want to add is the front end of an led flashlight for landing lights.
peatmoss is offline Find More Posts by peatmoss
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:43 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,822 Posts
have access to the cars hazard light switch

or bring along as well a flashlight that blinks sos, one that beams up intothe sky

you should always know your relative position the plane and yourself, so hazards will tell you for landing aproach as well as flash light can be aimed at the plane for dirrections

a well lit up flying zone that is different than normal and can be seen from the plane works well
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I would put landing lights on the plane. It makes the last 1-2 feet of landing go much smoother.

Also two lights set a certain distance apart from each other and lined up in the direction of your runway. That'll make a crude VLS.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:58 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,822 Posts
ultrta bright white led's can be seen for miles when it is dark outsidemake sure they are blinking on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
I would put landing lights on the plane. It makes the last 1-2 feet of landing go much smoother.

Also two lights set a certain distance apart from each other and lined up in the direction of your runway. That'll make a crude VLS.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22