HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:27 PM
United States, CA, Frazier Park
Joined Mar 2008
148 Posts
Careful!
Hyperion ballance tab lesson learned the hard way

I had no experiance with Hyperion Lipo's but I had 2 3S 2100mAh packs in a box of hobby stuff. After getting my new PL8 / Mean Well power supply and some Paraboards from EP Buddy I decied I would charge they batteries and them discharge for storage.

I had not connected to the PL8 yet than god. I connect one pack's ballance port to the ParaBoard and then started the next. Not realizing that all the connectors were the same size until after my miss hap. So One got connected to a 3S tab while the other got connected to a 4S port by mistake. One battery fot hot pretty quick. There was a little ark-ing and I quickly pulled it out of the board. I was worried about therman run away as the pack was smoking and getting hot so I threw it out side as fast as I could. Then kicked it to the drive way and surrounded it and covered it with blocks.

It didn't ignite or catch fire. I was very lucky. I got a little burn on my hand ( just a little pain, no visual injury.)

Today i went out side to check out the pack. Ballance wires all melted and disconnected. Main wires were good.
supermo26 is offline Find More Posts by supermo26
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,706 Posts
I fear doing the same on my EP board someday. I always put my glasses on and check/double check before plugging in.
It happens...

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:46 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
I made up some 6S packs from 2 X 3S packs and used 2 X 3way into 6way balance adapters. Now I knew these could only be connected one way but one day I managed to swap the 2 X 3 way plugs over. CRACK and the wires melted. The thin gauge balance wires acted as a fuse so the battery survived.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:31 AM
Joined May 2009
503 Posts
Also if you look closer you can find Hyperion 2S packs smaller than 250mAh have NO balance tab! The connectors are just too large compared to the pack itself.

XH type balance tabs work better here.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:58 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,436 Posts
The MFA parallel balance adapters have some kind of fuse built in to stop high currents passing from one pack to the other. They're meant to deal with packs that are not at the same state of discharge, but I guess they'd also blow in the situation described in the OP.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:48 AM
United States, CA, Frazier Park
Joined Mar 2008
148 Posts
I may be jumping to conclusion but as of right now Im not interested in using that style connector. If I continue to buy batteries with that connector, I may change it out with the XH type to keep them the same. I also like to be able to just yank them out if something bad is going on. The Thunder and Hyperion have an extra button to fumble with. Not good when trying to yank a plug out to prevent a fire.
supermo26 is offline Find More Posts by supermo26