SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
Build Log
Mistral

Hello all! A friend of mine recommended this forum for it's very knowledgeable members. I have embarked on a 1:12 scale model build from scratch. I do have the diagrams of bulkheads, cabin, lifeboat. etc on a 8x10 sheet of paper. I found this on the internet. I used copy machine to increase each part shown on the 8x12 to 1:12 scale. The model is a Mistral:

I have started the build and will require assistance for a few questions if I can not find the answer with the search function. Most of my questions will come with setting up power for the boat.

Day one:

CurtisP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtisP40
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
1. Welcome !
2. BRAVO !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
What is pictured is a Lake Union Dreamboat. 1928 model. The current plans I have is a Mistral but the cabin configuration is completely different than the what is pictured above. I will be making structural changes to the deck house. I prefer the layout of the Lake Union deck house and aft deck.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:02 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,655 Posts
Welcome and nice choice for a model. Have had a 1/12th scale Lake Union dream boat started for a while ( and really need to get back it and all the other prodjects) with probebly the same house configuration you are talking about ( extended house with short parlor deck aft). Looking forward to this build as well.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,208 Posts
What Tim just wrote...

What a sweet boat, do you have pictures of the modified one or are they in your head
For power i Will recomend that you speak with Rich (frankg) MACK models, he Can point you in the right direction. Or just ask here and we wil All help you A's mutch as we can.
Robert

Argh... Cant edit typo on my freaking iPad Will edit it tomorrow on my pc. Sorry
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
Robert,

I have plans for a Mistral but the cabin structure front fascia is raked back towards the stern. I do not care for it. I like the cabin in the picture above. So the modification will mimic what is pictured in the first post.

Thanks for any help all can provide!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
Craig,

Thanks for the links. The more the merrier! Many different paint schemes to consider. Last night I continued to cut out the bulkheads. The keel form was created and will be cut sometime today. I will post pics when I have them.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Excellent choice for a model, looking forward to following your build.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
The bulkheads are cut. Rough dry fit pictured below. It would have been nice to have a scroll saw but I found my jigsaw did the job. However, much needed sanding and additional fitting before applying adhesive.

Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
The assembly with glue has begun. It is starting to look like vessel.

I have some filling of uneven parts. Not to much work.

Question on planking. Currently I have purchases 3/32 balsa sheets that I will use for the first layer. Once completed I will us the smaller strips for the final outside planking to give the hull the planked look. After reading much of the forum concerning planking, would it be best to just use the sheets of balsa in double planking installation or use the idea I have with the larger sheets for the sub-planking then use the planking strips for the final surface?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:01 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,415 Posts
Looking really good! Subscribed and following. Yes, it looks like a vessel already and can't wait to see more progress.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
I have been studying the planking process and materials. I have decided on basswood to double plank the hull. I read the process of fairing the structure which I did last night. I had two low spots in need of building up. Planking to begin in a few weeks.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
After much deliberation and internet search for the best way to plank and invaluable conversations with a forum member, Randy, the boat is getting a balsa plank (1/8 thick) and will be covered in glass. I'm elated with the results thus far and can not thank Randy enough for pointing me in the right direction.

Planking thus far:

This site and helpful members offer a plethora of information bar none. What was a dream/idea in my head to create a scratch vessel is now a reality. More to come.

Chris