HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
There was some talk a couple pages back about the "Monkey Blunt" center section. Here's my latest build using one, certainly my cleanest Popwing/Teksumo yet. It flies just like the other's I built "stock" with no center section.

Wow that looks fantastic! As someone with very limited building resources at the moment, how much to cut one of those monkey blunts?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:54 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,879 Posts
Very nice Mr luneau. Always impressed with your work
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:06 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Wow thats beautiful.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:23 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
Wow that looks fantastic! As someone with very limited building resources at the moment, how much to cut one of those monkey blunts?
$30, he's got 4 left as of right now: http://www.fpvmonkey.com/monkeyblunt/
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, Fair Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
842 Posts
Nope. 3 left.
Loppy is offline Find More Posts by Loppy
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:07 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,052 Posts
Only just found this thread. I have flown my Teksumo a few times but I have had 2 bad crashes. The first was because I installed one of those Orange stabilisers. When I turned it on whilst in flight.. The Tek went crazy and plowed into the ground. Damaged repaired.
On Monday I was flying it and at about 150 yards lost control and again it dug a hole in the ground. Flew my Super cub after and again lost signal but it went into glide and landed safely.
The power of my DX6i has decreased. Waiting for 9XR and module.
Back on topic.
I have finally received the last components for a 5.8gig FPV system that I intend to use on my Tek.
(I already have a 1.2gig on my Easystar.)
I am building the 5.8 light and I expect I shall be getting another Teksumo and make a centre wedge.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Mar 2013
347 Posts
very nice, Ilike it alot
FriFlyers is offline Find More Posts by FriFlyers
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:26 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loppy View Post
Nope. 3 left.
Nope sold out

Maybe next week??
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Here's a video from this evening, fun little wing, and tough too! lol

Popwing Monkey Blunt, crashing and fun flying! (5 min 14 sec)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:30 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Only just found this thread. I have flown my Teksumo a few times but I have had 2 bad crashes. The first was because I installed one of those Orange stabilisers. .
I bought a couple of those too. Installed one in a 3d plane. Could not get it to work. A dud. Put in a Guardian instead.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 01:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Nope sold out

Maybe next week??
Dang man, sorry about that. Got my tracking number, so I must have got one of the last ones.

He sold out fast. I'm sure the production wheels are spinning as we type
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:39 AM
TekSumo/Bixler/Quad Pilot
United Kingdom, England, New Mills
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
My Fibreglased FPV TEK SUMO

Hi All,
Just wanted to add my 2 pence to the thread. I have recently been performing some mods to my TEK Sumo, its had a difficult start to life. Maiden flight pulled the motor off after a low stall onto some tarmac! Fixed that, only to then rip an elevon on some tall grass. That’s where my problem started…no amount of sanding would make any tape stick to the surface!

I started to look at options to cover the wing:
Thought (and still think) laminating looks a bit crummy and wasn’t sure what the heat would do to the foam. Plus, didn’t really think I would get that much strength for the weight (I m wrong I know!). Next option was epoxy and fibreglass. Very strong, but sure to add a lot of weight and destroy the foam. Got a bit stuck then, decided to put it on hold until an option presented itself….

Cue my google skills on a different subject…what could I strengthen my Bixler 2 fuselage with? Then it hit me, or at least a Dutch website did (no not that kind). Water Based Polyurethane and 25g Fibreglass Cloth! Doesn’t react with EPP or EPO (its water based) and will give a paintable, strong, light and tape-able surface!

Got to work straight away, ordered some 25g Fibreglass Cloth from ebay, got some water based polyurethane varnish and some foam rollers. Used one layer, of the cloth with three to four coats of the varnish. Results were great, did the same to the elevons and took the opportunity to reconfigure the rx bay to be on the top not bottom. It looks great, feels great and can now be taped up for hinges!!

Pretty poor weather in the UK at the moment so not yet had chance to maiden, just got to re fit the winglets and connect up the servos and motors and she is ready to go again!

My setup is as follows:
• Turnigy D2822/14 1450KV Motor
• 2200 mah 3S Lipo
• Orange R910 RX
• Turnigy Plush 30A ESC
• TG9 Servos
• 8x5E TGS Prop

Will be cutting out some sections for the ESC and my FPV VTX when I get chance!

Will post a finished picture when she’s done!

If anyone wants to know about the fibreglass techniques….see below:

[LINK]http://hbfpnl.wordpress.com/glassing-the-muliplex-easy-star-ii/[/LINK]

Enjoy,
Ben
BENFORSHAW is offline Find More Posts by BENFORSHAW
Last edited by BENFORSHAW; Dec 12, 2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Spam
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
842 Posts
Ben, one of the reasons I love wings, is that they're easy to cover/laminate etc. Right now my simple method is clear packing tape as I can easily do a full wrap, and contact the tape with itself for a nice tight wrap. Then use 3M Extreme tape for hinges and along wing LE. Its a bit hinkey, but works great, cheap and easy.

I've thought about the glass cloth thing (my LHS carries it) but was always worried about weight. Did you take a before and after measurement? Any idea on how much weight it added? Thanks, and looks great BTW...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 03:18 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,879 Posts
yebbut in this size, I do not see the benefit of laminating them. Just adds weight, maybe some reduction in drag and stiffness. But the oem wing is super strong and lightweight so not needed at all for strength
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
842 Posts
BC, you're 100% right. Its really not needed at all. I've not done any real analysis, but raw EPP (at least on the Tek) has a horrible finish for aero, so in my mind anyway, there's a good bit of drag from its surface. I like packing tape, its cheap, easy and works, and adds what... a couple grams maybe. Eh... eye of the beholder...