HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:14 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
Have just finished assembly now waiting for the maiden

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=297492

I've just completed this after some work late last night early this afternoon. Hope it answers some questions.

I'm pretty stoked by the result and it was a lot of fun to assemble.
Broose27 is offline Find More Posts by Broose27
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SHMAC Down in Swan Hill
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:16 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
Some more pics

From the assembly - showing pre-rigging and the finished product.

The issue with the prop - is it a fault or just a mark?

...and I forgot the Lewis Gun. Fixed now.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Broose27; Nov 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Forgot the Lewis Gun!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,567 Posts
Good luck with the maiden.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:04 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Looks fine to me.

99% will have no idea it's not perfect scale. They just want a WW1 style biplane to putter about with.
i agree 100% you can add me to that 99% where i didnt know or care. its a sweet looking biplane that will look sweet in the air. if some one where to tell me oooh your plane isnt scale. my response would be "OOOOO get a life"
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:16 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
224 Posts
Spares availabilty?

So i've ordered my 1st bi-plane. Scott's flight footage was the clincher. It just looks so nice in the air!
Also not fussed about what this build is originally based on. Or what the actual scale is. And if the wheels are slightly oversize, then that is probably going to suit my salt lake landings just fine. It looks like a very nice SE5; reproduction or otherwise!
The fact remains, it is still around $100 cheaper to land in OZ than buying the Parkzone equivalent. (and I will probably use that $100 towards eventually buying the durafly P47).
I guess my only real concern is a possibility that spare parts availability is going to be virtually non existent? Would it be unkind to suggest this is not HK's strongest area? Its an "exclusive", so I wont have any choice but to try and source the parts from HK? If I HAD stumped up the cash for the PZ equivalent, I know there would be very little problem sourcing the complete parts list from modelflight (oz distributor) eventually.
Regardless of my concern, still really looking forward to putting this one in the air! Lookout for the video of brothers Spad and my SE5 "reproduction" (soonish).
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Last edited by GavDorro; Nov 13, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
Joined Mar 2007
2,567 Posts
The SE5a spares will arrive with the other Durafly spares shortly, we have discussed this weakness (parts) just last week, it WILL be improved.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:44 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
The SE5a spares will arrive with the other Durafly spares shortly, we have discussed this weakness (parts) just last week, it WILL be improved.
Thanks Scott. Look forward to seeing a list of parts available soon? Can I ask if p47 parts are included in this arrival you speak of?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
Herndon,Virginia
Joined May 2010
166 Posts
I hope the HK SE-5a is a good model. I have the PZ Se-5a and it flies great.my concern is the quality of the HK models.Their DR1 triplane is not a good one.they did not plan it out very well.a kid at our club field could not get his to fly.he crashed on third try.good luck to all.
Dale1957 is offline Find More Posts by Dale1957
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
I know a couple of guys with the HK tripe, they don't seem to have a problem flying them. It is always very easy to blame the model when the pilots dumb thumbs may be more at fault! A bad tradesman always blames his tools as they say

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Shepparton
Joined Jun 2011
299 Posts
Well if my pocket book could handle it i would buy it now Im very interested in to hearing what everyone thinks about it as I havent had a WW1 plane yet ..
jeffhines2673 is offline Find More Posts by jeffhines2673
Last edited by jeffhines2673; Nov 14, 2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale1957 View Post
I hope the HK SE-5a is a good model. I have the PZ Se-5a and it flies great.my concern is the quality of the HK models.Their DR1 triplane is not a good one.they did not plan it out very well.a kid at our club field could not get his to fly.he crashed on third try.good luck to all.
Our new generation models are as good, if not better than anything else out there, that is precisely why HK has the design and development team it now has.

Yes, spares for the P-47 are included on that list!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
Weather can be very frustrating.

If the storms hadn't flooded the post office, I would have received it a day earlier and maidened on Saturday morning.
Now it's too windy to fly anything, so my slim chance of a maiden and video last night didn't happen.

Re the various discussions going on, the selling points for me were (in order), wingspan/size, Scott's video, and price. I've always wanted an SE5a, and was looking at the PZ version, but like most of us, I check the HK new items list and hell, it was my 40th birthday. Got some CA and other items into the order, $200 and 10 days delivery.

The scale question - a resident guru at my club said it 'looks like a Lycoming', but reminded me that when it's flying, who cares? To have a bloke who's been flying for decades (with his own shed full of larger scale aircraft) spend a bit of time looking it over and making approving noises while we had a beer was a good sign!

Now if only this %&$# wind would settle down...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SHMAC Down in Swan Hill
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broose27 View Post

Now if only this %&$# wind would settle down...
Yeah thats a bit of a bugger. New plane + poor flight conditions =
Look forward to reading your thoughts once the maiden is out of the way.

Wifey has made this my xmas present, so I'm not realistically flying it until boxing day (also )
BUT the upsides are:
Its not "socks and jocks" under the tree AND
I get to read everyone elses do and do nots before I take it out to the field.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:33 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Just ordered today, can't wait!
Going to be hangar buddies with my Fokker Triplane.
There was a replica SE5a at my airport years ago, spent many hours tooling with it and two hours in the air...and I can say with conviction that this is an extremely detailed and scale model.
Scale arguments=invalid

I wouldn't complain too much about the looks, just how many foam WWI planes do you see for sale these days?
Just glad that there's a few out there available to buy.
Hopefully in the years to come there will be more...
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,448 Posts
Just ordered mine too! My mate has the HK Tiger Moth and we had a heap of fun with it last night.

I was inspired to buy a Bi-plane and thought this looked even better and will be a head-turner. I want something of this era to sit amongst my PZ Warbirds and still be able to use my 3S 2200Mah Lipo's.

I have looked at the PZ SE5a many times, but I can't get a video I have seen of it taking off and landing out of my head. It did terribly in the hands of a pilot you would call experienced. Ugly.

The whole argument about it being modeled off a replica - Fair dinkum! Who cares really......the complaints come from people who don't even stop to consider price and flying capability. I would much rather have a plane that is not 100% scale to an original than one that is not enjoyable to fly.

Phoenix_racing: you have done a good job answering everyone's questions. Don't let the wingers get to you. The proof is in the flight. I will let you all know how I go.
Grazer is online now Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member