HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:09 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
In fairness, "saving money" is not what the Durafly range is about, they are value for money for what they are, they are not cheap, if they were cheap....it would be yet another range of so, so parkflyer warbirds....and I think you need to re-look at the specs as well as the finish on say the P-47 for instance when you make a comparison with something similar.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like those Durafly birds being offered, they do include certain added value in the retracts and flaps and stuff. The SE5a, on the other hand, brings no real added value, that is why I said I would've liked another model, a Fokker DVII maybe?

All in all, the more quality models being offered by all companies, the happier I am, so keep up the good work.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:54 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Looks fine to me.

99% will have no idea it's not perfect scale. They just want a WW1 style biplane to putter about with.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:55 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
OK Scott - you got me ! I have to say that video shows the plane off very nicely even if you are helped by the absence of the force four breeze that seems a permanent resident at your flying site. Visibly nice slow fly characteristics and once I can get my head round the fact that it's a model of an SE5A replica and not a model of an SE5A I can tell I'm going to have to have one!

SE5-A - HobbyKing Durafly Series. (2 min 39 sec)
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Nov 01, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:35 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
Wow very impressed Scott, looks like you on to another winner there any idea eta for this model before or after xmas ?

ps thanks for posting this Roger , it looks like this will be on my WANTS list

Pommie

just looked and its there now better start saving

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19944
pommie is offline Find More Posts by pommie
Last edited by pommie; Nov 01, 2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: found out its in stock
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Shepparton
Joined Jun 2011
308 Posts
I find it funny peopel bagging the plane if you dont like it then dont buy it .. I do not rember Scott or anyone saying this was a scale plane .. And like Scott said it is what it is ... and for me its damn close enough and for the price I think its a steal and i will be placing a order for one very soon .. And I can honestly say if it wasnt for Hobbyking I wouldnt be flying again ...Why because the cost of it ...I say and I think many will agree a with me great job Scott I love the plane ..

To each there own

jeff
jeffhines2673 is offline Find More Posts by jeffhines2673
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:19 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Hmm! By the time I've paid the EMS shipping to the UK it's right on the same price point as the PZ SE5A also including shipping. I'd been hoping it would be closer to the Tiger Moth price point, not more than twice as much! Needs a coat of thinking about.

I'm sorry I certainly don't think it's a "steal" at the price (although I accept that having to add $50+ for shipping isn't HK's fault)

And I'm not being picky about scale detail I'm being picky about the fact that an SE5A with a flat four engine isn't an SE5A its a replica of an SE5A. OK so I can tear off the dummy cylinder heads but I don't see why they were put there in the first place unless it's a mistake that no-one now wants to own up to. If that's not the case it should be easy enough for HK to explain why they chose the replica version instead of the original to model on.
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Nov 01, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:24 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
It was never going to be cheap as I had said previously, it costs a lot of money to develop and design a model like this, however, in terms of looks, reliability and performance, it's good value for money.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:49 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I understand that Scott. However I hope that HK will be able to regain some of their competitve position by getting these stocked in the regional warehouses a.s.a.p. which will cut down on the shipping cost and also, at least as far as I'm concerned, reduce my vulnerability to being hit for 20% Vat plus a further 10-20% post office VAT collection charge.

And if someone would only say why it's a model of a replica I could shut up about it!

I hope your wife enjoyed/continues to enjoy her visit to HK. Not much fun being separated by your work from your partner, been there, done that.

Edit: And Scott did you notice my post in another thread about the commercial advantage to HK of presenting the Sea Fury funfighter, when it reaches production, in September Fury Reno racer colours rather than RN/FAA? And bear in mind it's a Brit suggesting that!
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Nov 01, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:03 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
$160, wow. But if it arrives in perfect shape well worth it.

If it arrives with the same issues as the Moth, seperated fuse, bad paint, warped wings, etc, then no.

Can't wait to see the reviews from early buyers.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:21 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Personally, I like the Sea Fury as is, models of September Fury have never really sold that well, the Sea Fury has regained interest for the same reason, ironically, that the SE5a is what it is...........airshows.

People are increasingly identifying with the aircraft they can see and experience rather than grainy black and white photo's, rightly or wrongly, that is the reality of it, this is how the younger generation get into warbirds, very few identify with war movies and comics that were around when I was a kid (look at the decline of plastic scale modeling).

I like it myself, it's a fresh perspective, look at the new micro jets, nearly all in display team colours, the new Durafly Mustang and Thunderbolt are models of aircrat on the display circuits.....something they can identify with, THEN start to take an interest in historical context, I think it's a great way to get new people into model aviation.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:27 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
189 Posts
Arrives today!

Ordered it on 31 October, and being delivered to my little town in the Aussie bush sometime this morning, so looking forward to putting it together tonight with the assistance of a cold beer and distracted kids.

The weather forecast for Saturday is calm and warm, so the maiden will be on the cards....

Stay tuned....
Broose27 is offline Find More Posts by Broose27
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Seagull Westland Lysander ARF
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:22 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Good luck with it.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:53 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broose27 View Post
Ordered it on 31 October, and being delivered to my little town in the Aussie bush sometime this morning, so looking forward to putting it together tonight with the assistance of a cold beer and distracted kids.

The weather forecast for Saturday is calm and warm, so the maiden will be on the cards....

Stay tuned....
Nice one Broose27

if you can get some pics while your unboxing/building that will be fantastic. I am looking forward to seeing this plane, if i wasn't moving country's i would have given in to temptation by now ...lol

Pommie
pommie is offline Find More Posts by pommie
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:27 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
189 Posts
More than happy to do my first recorded unboxing and provide opinions etc.

My only issue is I missed the home delivery, so the box can be collected after 4pm from a bloody post office that flooded in storms last night and has been closed all day!

Ok, so I collected the box, and although it was soaked on one end and looked like the sh*t had been kicked out of it, the contents were fine.

Tonight the build, with better photos...
Broose27 is offline Find More Posts by Broose27
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Broose27; Nov 10, 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Update