HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:56 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
As plans stand....I will be in Broome from January 10th next year for 12 months or longer......!

Perhaps might cross paths then.

HJ
As my post 511 above said......I am here now!

Pics attached of my new operations "Beach Field in Paradise" !

SE5a has a larger wide Dubro 1.25" Rubber/Metal Hub Tailwheel (http://shop.dubro.com/p/1-1-4-dia-ta...ts?pp=12&pp=12 , more practical for beach work up in Broome and still looks scale for the Replica Model copied by Durafly. Had to do a little drilling in the hub to counter sink the attach nut on the original axle.

... and some remodelling of the Pilots face to look a little more "human" as inspired ...thanks CzechSix.

The other model is my much modified....also Durafly 1.4m Cessna 182 Skylane no longer in production.

I will have to get my friend "Pommie" up here to take photos sometime....but it is a 2 day 2300 km drive !

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:47 AM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
222 Posts
After just finishing work for the week and seeing that beach, i think its worth the 2 day drive ...lol
pommie is offline Find More Posts by pommie
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:50 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
HJ, my SE5a is olive drab with envy!
It's actually very hard to distinguish it from the real thing, and such a surreal setting too.
I like the landing gear wire setup and the bigger tailwheel too, gives it a more manly look LOL
Even the paint coming off the wings looks like weather-cracked paint over fabric.
I think the only thing that would make it any more realistic would be to match the strut mounting plate color to the wing, making it look like the struts are individual pieces bolted to the wing.
It's usually real easy for me to find stuff on an RC plane that doesn't fit in with a FS plane, but that's the only thing I can come up with...
Definitely gotta takes some videos of the SE5a strafing the beach
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:53 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,205 Posts
SE5a Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
Just discovered this although it's been out for a while. Play HD full screen. This sim will occupy my time until nicer weather returns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRHN...F420DABE54298F
Nice reference in HD screen mode 52 Sabre

I copied as much as I could into my SE5a cockpit for more scale look.

as attached.

HJ
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:58 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie View Post
After just finishing work for the week and seeing that beach, i think its worth the 2 day drive ...lol
Its yyuck!!! outside at the moment though at 4pm Temp 36deg with humidity 75%

Did my flying at 8:30 this morning at low tide.... even then got too hot by 10.30am.

HJ
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:08 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
HJ, my SE5a is olive drab with envy!
It's actually very hard to distinguish it from the real thing, and such a surreal setting too.
I like the landing gear wire setup and the bigger tailwheel too, gives it a more manly look LOL
Even the paint coming off the wings looks like weather-cracked paint over fabric.
I think the only thing that would make it any more realistic would be to match the strut mounting plate color to the wing, making it look like the struts are individual pieces bolted to the wing.
It's usually real easy for me to find stuff on an RC plane that doesn't fit in with a FS plane, but that's the only thing I can come up with...
Definitely gotta takes some videos of the SE5a strafing the beach
Yes tail wheel makes a big difference in the ground handling.....I keep the plane pretty weathered looking just touching it up with humbrol flat paint here an there...and I did sand down those LE's a bit.... yes and I will paint those mounts on the top underside of the wing! tks

HJ
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:40 AM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
369 Posts
Finally got a chance to finish up a few things and do the final assembly for my SE5a. I wasn't able to fly today, but I did manage to snap a few "dawn patrol" shots. My only modifications were to repaint the pilot, simulate the wood grain on the major struts & prop, paint a few details (strut ends, cabane ends, axle wing, checkerboard pattern on wheel fairing) and add copper tape to the strut and undercarriage ends just for looks. I also ditched the stock rigging for black rubber "jelly cord" from the craft store.

All in all came out well, what a great kit. I still have some work to do, including painting the cockpit coaming, adding some flight-leader's streamers and landing gear rigging and painting some more odds and ends. I somehow also managed to lose the cool plastic prop hub that came with the kit...fortunately I can buy a replacement from HK for a couple bucks.

Regardless, I figured I'd share these progress pics, hope you enjoy.
CzechSix is offline Find More Posts by CzechSix
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:29 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechSix View Post
I somehow also managed to lose the cool plastic prop hub that came with the kit...fortunately I can buy a replacement from HK for a couple bucks.

Regardless, I figured I'd share these progress pics, hope you enjoy.
Nice looks CzechSix !

Re the Prop Hub Cap falling off.......

I found out this was a "weak link" in the design after the first couple of flights....that is why I used 3 servo arm screws and a small drill bit to secure this scale cap plate to the prop hub.

HJ
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:25 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechSix View Post
I somehow also managed to lose the cool plastic prop hub that came with the kit...fortunately I can buy a replacement from HK for a couple bucks.
Nice detail CzechSix. The prop hub almost certainly came off because it wasn't screwed on - a design fault. An even better way to attach it than screws is to use 10BA hex bolts which are the same size as the plastic moulded bolts - 2.5mm across the flats. You can get these by searching for Model Engineering Supplies. I'm not sure I would have bought these if I didn't already have them, but they're useful if you're into scale. I would mail you a couple, but I've only got a very few left.

Richard
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:19 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,205 Posts
Broome Beach Storming

Another good sortie this morning....all kids back to school and the Beach is all to us.

HJ
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:02 AM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
369 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the input. No worries on the hex bolts Richard... But that's a great idea, I'll try to locate some.

Cheers!
CzechSix is offline Find More Posts by CzechSix
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
731 Posts
On a whim, I purchased this plane. A guy was selling it "used" on our local club site and I had wanted a biplane for a while.

It was already assembled so I got it home, looked it over and adjusted the control surfaces that needed adjusting. Overall the plane looks like it had never been flown, I say this because it was in just about out of box condition and the wire was hanging up on the lower control surface so there is no way it flew in this condition. So I fixed that, opened up the battery box to squeeze in my 2200Mah battery and took it to the field.

First Flight:
I was fairly nervous as this is a nice plane and didn't want to crash it, I didn't know whether to toss it or take off so I decided to take off on our grass. The grass isn't great, it's not mowed and it has a crown in it. So I had somebody push the plane to get it going, gave it full throttle and held full up on the elevator.

And in a short distance up it went! Beautiful take off! Back the throttle off and putted around until I got it trimmed, which wasn't hard. I have a moderate amount of experience in flying, and this plane is fairly to keep in the air and get it where you want to go, and has a nice amount of torque to gain altitude or aerobatics. I need to mix in some rudder with ailerons because, as I expected, it like to yaw as you roll and as you get to about 70-80 bank it starts to fall. I had plenty of confidence on my first flight to do low passes as it is very stable at it's lower speeds. I wouldn't say it glides very slow, so landing aren't slow either but as long as power is applied it doesn't tip stall all that easy (compared to my P-51).

Things I will note about my two flights:
- It does tend to do a typical WWI nose over on landing if you don't land fast enough and hold the elevator UP until you stop, so this means even after you touch down and are rolling.
- It does like to kick left a little on take off, but not enough to scare me, even the first time
- My Thrust angle appears to be off slightly, the plane's plane of flight changes depending on my throttle input, not sure if this is normal or not.
- It doesn't glide slow, it requires power all the time, but it does do well at lower speeds
- I takes to aerobatics pretty well, I found myself letting off the elevator in loops
- With the 2200Mah battery, as other people have mentioned it balances correctly, no adjustment needed

Overall this is a great plane, and I am very happy with it. I have a PZ P-51 which I've never been happy with how it flew, seemed always to wiggle a twitch in the air, can never seem to get it to fly straight. This biplane is awesome and I look forward to many more flights with it.

Couple of Questions:
- I think whoever assembled the plane drilled out the whole on the control horns, I'm going to replace them, but are other people's control horn's holes much wider then the pushrods or clamps going through them? My ailerons wiggle a lot and that bothers me.
- How if your thrust line, mine changes with throttle, just a little though, I don't NEED to re-trim it, but it is noticeable
- How long of a flight to do you get out of a 2200 MAh battery? I got about 5-6 minutes with about 10-15% left on the battery doing about 40-60% throttle the whole flight
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:27 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
-Mine are pretty tight, though I do remember having to ream them out just a tad to get the clevis on.
-Thrust angle seems fine to me, it does change as throttle is applied, but it's minimal and I've come to expect it on most models and doesn't bother me any.
-I get anywhere from 5-8min, longest flight was over 10min cruising at lowest possible throttle setting (a word of caution about this, LVC threshold was higher than my throttle setting, so I didn't realize I actually hit LVC and continued flying)
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:23 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
-Mine are pretty tight, though I do remember having to ream them out just a tad to get the clevis on.

I forgot to mention that, it does look like the "holes" have been reamed out.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:54 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,642 Posts
My control rods to horns are pretty tight. If yours are sloppy and you can't get identical replacements, I have restored horn holes in the past by filling them with epoxy and then redrilling to the correct size (mark a centre with a pin when the epoxy is nearly set). An easy job if you have a digital gauge and a set of microdrills.

My thrust angle seems OK, but I had to add washers behind the motor mount as the prop seemed to be just clipping the front cowling after a nose over landing. This was easy if you just remove the prop and cowling, so it would be easy to adjust the thrust angle this way.

I also get 5-8 mnt flights, depending on the amount of motor thrust used.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Last edited by richard9999; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:20 PM.