HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
The vid is being edited currently, I spent the whole weekend flying Durafly warbirds, SE5a, P-51, P-47 & F4-U.
Thanks scott looking forward to seeing this
pommie is offline Find More Posts by pommie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
But you're OK with the 4 cylinder engine?
Yes I am!!
fnlrun is online now Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:42 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
But you're OK with the 4 cylinder engine?
Now that's funny! Obviously they scaled this SE after one of the 7/8 scale full size replica birds that are powered with a 4cyl Continental or Lycoming.They have a bit longer nose to offset the lighter powerplant.I find that rather humerous,and it goes to show that the Chinese designers are basing their designs on present day examples of warbirds instead of the actual aircraft of the era.Probably easier to get the info they feel they need to produce an airframe.Having said all that,it still is a very nicely detailed model,and one that would be fun to have.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
someone else posted this pic on the hobbykings own forum so i cant steal the credit but it looks like they have done a fine job to me
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,079 Posts
Pommie-- Nice photo I'm pretty sure that's a 7/8 scale replica. Instead of a big Hispano it looks like a Lycoming or something small. They modeled a replica!
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Oct 10, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:53 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
I'm sorry, but this thing is just laughably bad. Not only did they model a psuedo-scale replica, they didn't even do a good job of it!

I still scratch-build, but love a good scale foamy for easy fun. It's too bad the Chinese can't create any. I'll just stick to my FSK's and Parkzones for now.
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:15 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I can't put my finger on why a model of a replica just won't ring my chimes, but I'm fearing that it won't. What are the chances of getting that front end re-engineered Scott? I might be able to adjust to the fact that it's a more or less scale model of a more or less scale replica of an SE5a but I'd feel a whole lot better if it really was a more or less scale model of an original SE5a, particularly since I already have that in a PZ model.

It's going to have to have some outstanding qualities to appeal over a model of the real thing.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:37 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Not a hope of it being re-engineered, it is what it is....it flies exceptionally well...it looks superb in the air, that are it's credentials as will be seen hopefully by the flight footage.

I take exception to it being descibed as "laughably bad"......as I do the idea that the Chinese are incapable of making anything scale....a silly and dismissive comment.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:50 AM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
oh well i like it and when its 50ft in the air going past it will look like a $200 parkzone to me and i like to be different eveyone drives normal cars not me i like to be different so i am all good with a replica.

and yes the cars were normal when i got them ...but not for long
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:54 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Brilliant!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
Not a hope of it being re-engineered, it is what it is....it flies exceptionally well...it looks superb in the air, that are it's credentials as will be seen hopefully by the flight footage.

I take exception to it being descibed as "laughably bad"......as I do the idea that the Chinese are incapable of making anything scale....a silly and dismissive comment.
Can we at least have the colour a bit closer to what it would be if it was a model of a real SE5a, Scott?

As you say, it is what it is, but that is a model of a modern SE5a replica, not a model of a real SE5a. I can't help thinking that for the future people would prefer "scale" models of original aircraft, not of replicas where there are obvious and fundamental structural and engineering differences. I say "scale" because realistically there may always have to be compromises on proportions/dimensions to get flight performance. That PZ have retained a high degree of dimensional accuracy and still turned out a nice flyer shows such serious compromise isn't necessary with the SE5a. Something like a Sopwith Camel with a seriously short nose moment might be another matter.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:32 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
It's highly unlikely to change much, the colour is washed out on the vid, pay no heed to that.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I'll take that as a "no" then!

I would like to be sure, Scott, that you understand I, at least, am feeding back to you on the basis of increasing the saleability of, and the demand for, your products. I'm a HobbyKing fan and I'm delighted to see not only the new products coming out, but the sort of new products.

But it does seem rather strange to bring out a WWI warbird that is based on a modern replica rather than the original. I don't know whether that was intentional or a mistake and I don't expect you or anyone else at HobbyKing to answer the question. But if it was a mistake I hope it's a mistake that doesn't get made twice.

There's been a lot of justifiable praise for the attention to detail in the other aircraft in the 1100 series. Why make this one an exception?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:49 AM
Joined Jun 2010
49 Posts
This SE5A is nice, I think they only copy the color scheme of the replica but the whole body is as same as the original plane.
austin y is offline Find More Posts by austin y
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:26 AM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin y View Post
This SE5A is nice, I think they only copy the color scheme of the replica but the whole body is as same as the original plane.
Yes it is very nice, BUT it is very much closer to the 7/8 scale replica in the picture in an earlier posting and not a original one. With the longer nose it is probably easy to balance. I am sure it flies nicely.
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT