HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:14 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
They have put in some great detail on this one, even including the sub ribs between LE and front spar in the wings, great effort by the designers! Still picking out new little details every time I see a pic of it

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:31 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Paint is starting to wear off on the sharp edges of the fuselage, it's not due to the paint but rather how I've been handling the model.
I don't know how you transport your planes in a car, but I've found that the rubbery, non-slip material in the photo is great for transporting more than one model in a small hatchback car (microscopic by Texas standards). I don't know what it's called, but it comes in sheets about 1m x 1m (3ft x 3ft), maybe 3mm/1/8" thick. You get it at motoring shops or $2 shops. I put one plane in the back, drape the sheet over it and then put another plane on top. Zero hangar rash.

You will also have to learn acrylic colour matching - not easy. If you apply a little by brush, then blend the edges into the existing paint with a finger.

The S.E.5A is one of my favourite aircraft and I will definitely have to get another, either by construction (tempting) or purchase (also tempting)! But I have a full hangar of aircraft still being modified - resist, resist
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:04 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I've got a few rolls of that for my toolboxes, great way to keep the wrenches from sliding around when you open it too fast.

The hangar rash is actually all my own doing.
Grabbing it with my hands to assemble it took its toll (imagine a bear trying to get a ship in a bottle complete with growling and roars, now you can visualize my modeling skills).
My hands are pretty rough, I can actually sand balsa wood with the callouses on my fingertips about as well as 800 grit sandpaper does...believe it or not.
It's all located on the underside of the fuselage, mostly under the engine cowling and roundels on the tail.
Looks like I took a sanding block or something and lightly sanded the very edge of the corner just enough to take the paint off.
No worries, you can't see it in flight and it's barely noticeable to begin with.
That or I'm just used to my models looking like that
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:43 AM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
182 Posts
Tragedy!

No not really - I busted one of the tiny rigging wires when I caught some weeds on landing. After at least 20 flights now, that's the first real misshap. Have even got brave and flown few times in a reasonable breeze, which makes landing fun fun fun.

This plane is becoming more and more enjoyable. It is the best ever 'end of the day flyer': the aircraft you get out and run a handful of lipo's through immediately before opening a beer and packing all the oily old nitros up.

I'd like to get some dusk photos - very funny how the conversation stops and all you can hear are the crickets and gentle whistle of the SE5a as everyone just chills out for a few minutes and watches it stooge around the sky.
Broose27 is online now Find More Posts by Broose27
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Seagull Westland Lysander ARF
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:20 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to get some dusk photos - very funny how the conversation stops and all you can hear are the crickets and gentle whistle of the SE5a as everyone just chills out for a few minutes and watches it stooge around the sky.
Broose27 - Still way too windy in Perth, WA for my SE5a. So, I went slope soaring this evening with my buddy. We both have a Multiplex Xeno. I maidened mine tonight and he knocked me clean out of the sky! Couldn't recover quick enough in 25kt winds. Damaged leading edge but flew again.

Anyway, I miss flying my SE5a!!!!!

Happy to come over to SHMAC and get those photos for you. The beer sounds good too!
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:01 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am a happy man! Managed to capitalise on a lull in the wind. I got 2 x 9min flights done before the sea-breeze whooped in.

The easterly I flew in, is a little turbulent but nothing compared to slope soaring!

As I unplugged my battery from my SE5a, the wind turned and started gusting immediately. I had got her down just in time at about 11.30am.

Took a screen-shot of the actual recorded wind speed from a station only a couple of Km's from my flying location.

Glad I wasn't still up in the air!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2011
276 Posts
Maiden of HK SE-5a Today

All,

Went to Thunderbird Field today about 45 degrees but with @ 7 to 8 mph winds.

Fellow fliers made favorable comments about the plane.

The maiden flight went very well... a little directional control issue on take off roll (Pilot) smooth lift off... graceful climb... then minor adjustment to ailerons and elevator and the rest was just smooth flying. Took her to altitude and let her glide. Very please with the performance of the plane.

Hobby King Durafly RAF SE-5a Maiden Flight (4 min 33 sec)
NeilDahl51 is offline Find More Posts by NeilDahl51
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:53 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,696 Posts
Another maiden report from me ... what a nice flying biplane! Flew two packs though mine and my flying buddy GP125racer snapped some media for me

Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
276 Posts
Beautiful Pictures!!!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:32 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Looked over the PZ version and my conclusion is that this one has considerably more scale fidelity than PZ's offering.
Perhaps a guy could just buy the PZ's exhaust ($6) and retrofit it to this one and everything except the struts and tailwheel would be true to the original SE5A:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

Not that I really care, because in all truth it's hard to tell the difference until you look closer at it. The reproduction SE5A that HK's version was copied from was made to look as close to the real thing as possible, hence the covers over the cylinders to make it look more realistic.

BTW, great video Neil!
I feel much better about the main gear's durability after seeing that landing...
Just kidding bud! hehehe
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Mar 2011
276 Posts
WTK,

What surprised me was she did not bounce

My FMS Sky Trainer would bounce 10 feet in the air if I landed it that hard!!!

The thing I did learn is that if one puts the bracing wires on the landing gear that the springs are a must due to flexing.

Especially when making carrier landings

Neil
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:44 AM
newcastle AUSTRALIA
Joined Nov 2010
139 Posts
ausie flyer

just love my SE5-a i had it about a month befor i had the courage to maiden it but i should not have worried after a gental roll out it was in the air before i realised it a bit of right rudder to correct typical tail wheel yual and we were away a feww clicks of down elevator (seems most comon trim adjustment) flew for four minuitets and land to check for any loose fittings,screws etc
second flight was a delite using 3s 1800 at half throttle i had a 7 min flight time that included a couple of full throttle loops

end of day one maiden flight home in one piece
have since had six flights which have included rolls and a short inverted pass , i just love doing cuban eights with a low pass and then a slow roll out

as for all the "NOT SCALE" knockers this cost me $185.00 landed in AUS in six day i am stocked
Ray
unleaded218 is offline Find More Posts by unleaded218
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:33 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
just love my SE5-a i had it about a month befor i had the courage to maiden it but i should not have worried after a gental roll out it was in the air before i realised it a bit of right rudder to correct typical tail wheel yual and we were away a feww clicks of down elevator (seems most comon trim adjustment) flew for four minuitets and land to check for any loose fittings,screws etc
second flight was a delite using 3s 1800 at half throttle i had a 7 min flight time that included a couple of full throttle loops

end of day one maiden flight home in one piece
have since had six flights which have included rolls and a short inverted pass , i just love doing cuban eights with a low pass and then a slow roll out

as for all the "NOT SCALE" knockers this cost me $185.00 landed in AUS in six day i am stocked
Ray
Welcome to the SE5a thread. Good to see another Aussie with this plane and enjoying it. We should collect a state representatives in our SE5a club!

VIC - Broose27
WA - Grazer
NSW - unleaded218
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:27 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
182 Posts
I'm drawing the handlebar moustache on the pilot and adding a scarf a la Grazer this weekend.

Next project is to change the decals on my plane to reflect the 1917 Australian Flying Corps, No 2 Squadron. Found a cool picture of the design, comlete with the a kangaroo, but don't wanna get my bum kicked for breaching copyright by posting it here!

Gotta go - 5 kts outside and I've got a leave pass till dark tonight. Another few flights coming up...
Broose27 is online now Find More Posts by Broose27
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Seagull Westland Lysander ARF
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:02 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Hey Broose27,

The Mo and scarf will be awesome. I made my scarf quite long so it can be seen on low passes.

Wish I had wind conditions suitable to fly....see how the weekend turns out.

Check this out for your decals: http://www.callie-graphics.com/

Grazer
RCG Plus Member