HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Discussion
Blade 120 sr help with spektrum dx61 radio

Hey guys new to this forum just got a blade 120 sr and it is not going all that well yet . I actually got the spektrum dx6I radio for my R2D2 astromech droid build but since I saw the radio could control multible models I bought the blade to try it. I have been flying some of the little helicopters like the lighthawk series and thought I had gotten really good at it but I see the blade120 is a new monster to tame. I was looking for some pointers and some exact radio settings for this model that some of you use in your spektrum computer radio. I am not sure I understand what everything is for in the radio settings. I have been trained to fly rc gas airplanes but that has been about 10 years. Lately I found the little small helicopters fun and cheap. The blade 120 is the most I have spent on one and I need a few parts now but that is part of the learning. Looking for some setting recomendations for the spektrum dx61 radio. Nice to find your group.
VA3AVP is offline Find More Posts by VA3AVP
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:02 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
I have 120SR and DX6i. This aircraft does not require custom programming. The only deviation I put from default was a slightly-flattened throttle curve at the beginning so it didn't 'lurch' as much on startup.

120 receiver uses CH5 (gyro) to switch between electrical rates (85% <-> 100%). ACRO defaults to CH5 0-100. In HELI mode you must program CH5 for those values to access electrical dual rates. There are no intermediate values, it's either high or low. You can program alternate rates into the D/R but there's no 'need'.

The RTF kit defaults to low mechanical rates (short shafts) and high electrical rates. Low/low is too sluggish to serve any purpose. The most practical configuration is long shafts and using the electrical rate switch. If you use unprogrammed HELI mode and the mechanical configuration as-shipped, that's low/low and you don't want that.

Expo is not at all necessary with 120SR as the servos are linear. Confirm you have swash type set to 90*, 120* will make it wonky.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Ok I could not seem to configure the swash type at all but I will go through the radio and set up for how you have shown- I was having a hard time getting a nice hover. At take off I have to ram the throttle to get it up before she crashes left and then I have not been able to get it in stable flight so I just bring her back down.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
I have 120SR and DX6i. This aircraft does not require custom programming. The only deviation I put from default was a slightly-flattened throttle curve at the beginning so it didn't 'lurch' as much on startup.

120 receiver uses CH5 (gyro) to switch between electrical rates (85% <-> 100%). ACRO defaults to CH5 0-100. In HELI mode you must program CH5 for those values to access electrical dual rates. There are no intermediate values, it's either high or low. You can program alternate rates into the D/R but there's no 'need'.

The RTF kit defaults to low mechanical rates (short shafts) and high electrical rates. Low/low is too sluggish to serve any purpose. The most practical configuration is long shafts and using the electrical rate switch. If you use unprogrammed HELI mode and the mechanical configuration as-shipped, that's low/low and you don't want that.

Expo is not at all necessary with 120SR as the servos are linear. Confirm you have swash type set to 90*, 120* will make it wonky.
Haha, I've had this for 12 months or so and never read the manual (brushes dust off of the 120)

-Thanks arbilab!
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:08 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
VA3, the autostable design means it resonates. I have read many reports of flyability problems with 120SR. They all resolve to resonation. It DOES pendulum. Strongly. But well within the pilot's capacity to cancel.

I'm a fumblethumbed geezer with oatmeal reflexes and *I* can fly it. In 8mph variable wind. So there's nothing wrong with the aircraft design. There may still be problems with configuration, trim, or articulation on any specific model.

Eagle, I've just sold 4 models that were gathering dust. I still have 4 more, from drugstore 3chs to a 450.
Last edited by arbilab; Oct 10, 2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post

ok In the swash mix 1 do I wan't f mode ? says swash 9 then I navigate it and I see mix 1 what should that be set to?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:27 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Not swash mix, swash TYPE. It's in the other menu, not adjust.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:21 AM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
select new model and bind it, dont choose anything, not heli ,, NOTHING.... it will fly perfectly...
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
Anyone else have trouble binding their 120sr to the Dx6i? Everything went smoothly when binding my mCX2 to the radio, but the 120 is a no go. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Any tips/suggestions on binding? (the 120 does still work fine with the OEM Transmitter)
Thanks
gryffin2007 is offline Find More Posts by gryffin2007
Old Jul 01, 2013, 07:28 PM
Love To Fly
United States, TN, Dandridge
Joined Mar 2013
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
select new model and bind it, dont choose anything, not heli ,, NOTHING.... it will fly perfectly...
So why would you leave it in acro mode just got a 120 and seen this and wondered why thanks in advance
MAMBA2200 is online now Find More Posts by MAMBA2200