HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by UBILDIT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:13 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Cool
Lmopar69 Visited & Gave Me The Bird!

Last Saturday, October 1st. Lmopar69, his wife Kmopar and their son, The Camanator came to a memorial fun fly I was in charge of at the Alabaster RC club just outside of Birmingham. We had a great time Friday night, flew in the really windy conditions on Saturday and Lmopar won the Bomb Drop competition and a $30.00 gift card, then back to my house for the Nebraska Wisconsin game. Just before the game started, Laine went out to his trailer and came back inside to "give me the bird". He cuts them out with a CNC Hot wire cutter and had an extra one for me. His flew fantastic at the event earlier that day so I was super glad to get one of my own. I've been working on it a little bit here and there ever since and had it ready to fly last night, but looks like the maiden will be today.
I documented parts of the build as there are no instructions needed, it's hard to mess it up. A carbon spar of some type behind the built in foam spars in the wing and some hot glue is all that's required to get it going. Everything else is "use your best judgement " to make it straight and is up to each person. I will share some of the things I tried.
First some of the Specs..
Leading Edge Width : 42 inches
Wing Tip to Wing Tip: 64 inches
Weight with 1350mah 3S : 24.4 oz.
Using a Frio 9 (950kv) motor, a ChingLau speed control from someone's wrecked EDF twin Jet thing. Throwing an 11X3.8 APC SF prop with a 12 Amp draw at WOT.

Hope everyone enjoys the pictures and the post flight report. I will add to this as I can. Also, I have'nt given up on the Vohm and Bloss in an earlier Blog of mine.. just got a little sidetracked.

Thanks to Laine for Giving me the Bird!... never thought I'd say that.

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by UBILDIT; Oct 09, 2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:22 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,841 Posts
Dude! That thing turned out great! Im sure it will fly as good as it looks. Great work, and thank you for your hospitality when the wife, Kam and I came up for the fun fly. We had a blast!

Laine.
lmopar69 is online now Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:42 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Flight Report!! Flight Report!!

Well, it went like this. . . Sunday... High, gusty winds... threat of rain..... Lmopar69 telling me not to worry about it because it's a bird and it's used to things like that. Having seen him fly it the prior weekend in winds just as high, I took him at his word.
Balanced at the main spar, I threw it into the air at 3/4 throttle. I could'nt tell if it needed trimming or not becuase the wind was now changing directions constantly. What I could tell, however is that a family of Large Red Tailed Hawks was most alarmed at the shadowy image invading the space around their nest... that I did'nt know was there. After the Hawks constant and loud urging... a whole tree full of crows decided they did'nt like the eagle either... funny that none of them or the Hawks wanted to get within a mile of it... they just wanted to yell at it. I thought that maybe something else was causing the Hawks and the crows to be so vocal... but as it turned out my original suspisions were confirmed when I noticed two Gaggles of Canadian Geese flying in that V shape they fly in... kinda with a missing one on one side in the rear... you know... anyway, they totally re-routed their flight path to avoid getting anywhere near the airspace the eagle was cruising....
I don't claim to know what birds were thinking or anything, but the evidence suggests one of two possibilities ... very strongly... It was real looking enough for all of them to think it was a large Raptor that they should be afraid of.... two.. it was ... to them... something so foriegn and artificial looking...since it never flapped it's wings... that the only reaction they could have was to be alarmed. Either way, I was quite satisfied with the results... Oh yes.. the bird needs a higher pitch prop than an 11 x 3.8... not enough cowbell... if you know what I mean.

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:32 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,841 Posts
You ALWAYS need more cowbell!
lmopar69 is online now Find More Posts by lmopar69