HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by replayreb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:16 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Discussion
1/6 Scale RC Batman Tumbler Mod

I have always wanted a big RC Batman Tumbler ever since I first saw Batman Begins in 2005. The biggest RC one they sold was a big 1/6 Scale Tyco version at Wal-Mart in 2005 but it was more toy than RC car in that it was a little out of scale, the front wheels didn’t turn and the back wheels were made of plastic. Also it came with a push-button remote so it didn’t have proportional steering or throttle. Another 1/6 Tumbler was made by Hot Toys and while it is almost perfect in scale, it isn’t remote controlled, is very fragile and now costs a small fortune. The Tyco version was made out of a single-piece, molded nylon plastic shell that is very durable since it was designed to be played with by kids. I also liked the hollow design of the Tyco for another reason I’ll explain later. I managed to find one used in good condition for $200 on eBay. I did a lot of Internet searching and found one person, “Porkchop”, who managed to install RC rubber tires on the back of his Tyco and I found another person, “FLMike”, who devised a steering mechanism for the front of his so I decided to combine these two mods along with a few of my own.

I couldn’t figure out how Porkchop replaced the Tyco’s tires with IMEX 7404 Swamp Dawg tires but after studying his picture closely I finally figured out he just trimmed the sidewalls and stretched them over the Tyco’s. Brilliant! That means I didn’t have to replace the axle or drivetrain which saved a lot of work.

For the front steering mechanism I contacted FLMike and he told me he just browsed through his local RC hobby store and picked out random RC components he thought would work but he didn’t know or remember the part numbers. I don’t have it that easy here in rural Mississippi as there are no local RC hobby stores so I have to order all of my RC parts online. As Luke Skywalker would say, “If there's a bright center of the RC universe, I'm in the state that it's farthest from.” lol FLMike was kind enough to send me some close-up pictures of his mod and after studying them carefully and doing a lot of online research I determined he used these main components: 1) Traxxas Jato front steering knuckles, 2) Dave Brown 0405 engine mounts to serve as caster blocks 3) standard Futaba S3003 servos and 4) Traxxas Talon 2.8" front tires on Traxxas All-Star Stampede rims.

The most expensive mod I did to mine was buy a Tamiya MFC-02 Multifunction unit to use as my electronic speed controller. It has various bells and whistles but the only thing I really wanted from it was it’s realistic engine sound. In retrospect I am so glad I took a chance on it because it adds the single best feature to my finished Tumbler…that loud, roaring, V8 sound! The kit includes a lot of led lights but turning them on and off with the MFC-02 requires a complicated series of transmitter stick moves and trim adjustments. Since my airplane transmitter had extra channels I decided just to buy my own cheap, pre-wired led’s off eBay and use a couple of “Remote Switch For LED Lighting” harnesses that “heyok” sells over on RCCrawler.com. It’s more convenient and also will make it easier to resell the MFC-02 with the unwrapped and unused LED’s. Finally, the reason I liked the single-piece, molded shell design of the Tyco is because the V8 sound coming from the MFC-02’s speaker resonates very loudly inside.

Another thing I added was two Hitec HS-81 micro servos and some music wire linkage to control the rear flaps. They can be controlled manually by a dial assigned on my Futaba 9C but I also mix them with my throttle channel so they turn down when accelerating and flip up when braking.

The last thing I did was paint the Tyco’s orange jet exhaust cone. I spray painted the trim ring bronze to match the rest of the Tumbler’s bronze accents and then painted the cone part an aluminum color. After it dried I marked the edges of the exhaust with a black sharpie and then smeared it around with my fingers before it dried to give it that singed look.

After putting it all together this thing is awesome! The V8 engine sound is very loud and realistic and it handles great! The Tumbler already had a wide rear track but those big IMEX 7404 Swamp Dawg rubber tires add a lot of weight to the back and help keep it planted even during hard cornering. There is not a true suspension on the front but the Tyco’s side supports will give or twist slightly when stressed and that in addition to the cushioning of the front tires’ foam inserts means it can handle a few bumps. I’m still using the stock “silver can” 540 motor that came with it but I may upgrade later to a 21-turn motor or even go brushless with a separate ESC but for right now I am very happy with it.

1/6 Scale RC Batman Tumbler Mod (8 min 20 sec)

1/6 Scale RC Batman Tumbler Mod (8 min 20 sec)

Parts list:
Tyco 1/6 Scale RC Batman Begins Batmobile
Tamiya MFC-02 Multi-Function Control Unit
IMEX 7404 Swamp Dawg Tires (2 sets)
Traxxas Talon 2.8" Tires w/Inserts Jato
Pro-Line Desperado 2.8" Black Front Wheels
Traxxas Aluminum Front Wheel Spacer Jato
Traxxas Ball Bearings 5x11x4mm Revo
Thunder Tiger Locknut 4mm
Dave Brown 0405 .049-.051 Engine Mount (2)
Traxxas Jato 3.3 Steering Knuckles
Futaba S3003 Servo Standard (2)
Dubro Servo Arms Standard Futaba J
FL450-80179 3mm nut +3x16 screw
Esky Lama V3 V4 Parts RC Helicopter Ball Link EK1-0325
Hitec HS-81 Micro Servo (2, one reversed)
Hitec Large & Regular Heavy Duty Servo Arms
heyok’s Remote Switch For LED Lighting (2)
SPC Li-Po Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 8000mAh, 20C, 2S, 7.4V
Traxxas Adapter Traxxas Male To Std/Molex
Female JST-XH 2S Balance Wire Extension Adapter - 20CM
5mm 6V Pre-Wired White LED’s
5mm LED holders
Hobbico 12" Extension JR/S/Z
Hitec Y-Harness 6"
replayreb is offline Find More Posts by replayreb
Last edited by replayreb; Jan 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:14 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,093 Posts
That is awesome!

I modified mine in a different direction as Im an airplane junkie. I strapped a eflite power 25 on on the back with a prop

I do have a question. How well does the steering work? Im getting to about 35-40ish mph and my rig steering cant handle the vibrations off the road.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by verticalspark; Oct 09, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:14 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
It works better than I thought it would. The side supports for the front tires give a little and that combined with the foam inserts add a little suspension up front but if I were going 40mph I would add a little steering expo so the steering wouldn't be so responsive at high speeds.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:05 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Nice job on an awesome conversion!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
United States, IL, Gurnee
Joined Aug 2011
26 Posts
Wow. Very nice.
DrewF is offline Find More Posts by DrewF
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:19 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Nice job on an awesome conversion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewF View Post
Wow. Very nice.
Thank ya'll very much! I am awaiting the arrival of a faster brushed motor as I would prefer to just use the MFC-02's brushed motor ESC but if it isn't fast enough I am going to install a brushless system in it and split the throttle channel so I can retain the MFC-02's engine sound and be able to go fast. I'll post the results.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Commission Tumbler

Hello,

Are you able to do a tumbler commission? Very Interested...

Thanks for your time,
Chri_00
chri_00 is offline Find More Posts by chri_00
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
thanks for all the info. I had bought my son one a few years ago and had sen it in the yard getting kicked around. So I picked it up and was informed that the remote control was lost. it was in perfect shape and was looking for a mod . I was thinking about doing a simple one. But after seeing the mods on the front end I am ready to make my first full mod....Thanks for the parts list and everything Ill need.- I think about only using a 2 channel controller. I am planning on using that beautiful front end!
gargoyle661 is offline Find More Posts by gargoyle661
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:56 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle661 View Post
thanks for all the info. I had bought my son one a few years ago and had sen it in the yard getting kicked around. So I picked it up and was informed that the remote control was lost. it was in perfect shape and was looking for a mod . I was thinking about doing a simple one. But after seeing the mods on the front end I am ready to make my first full mod....Thanks for the parts list and everything Ill need.- I think about only using a 2 channel controller. I am planning on using that beautiful front end!
Good deal. Yeah, I went a little overboard since I had the airplane radio with all the extra channels available but 2 channels is fine for just throttle and steering. You could still replace the led's relatively cheaply and just power them off the receiver and leave them on all the time.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Hi I'm just wondering whats the Hitec HS-81 Micro Servo for
louie4224 is offline Find More Posts by louie4224
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:10 AM View Post
Sid808
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Hey,

I have a few questions about this! I'm new to this website so Idk how to navigate it quite yet, but would you mind telling how much you spent on all of this including all the modifications and whether you're willing to do it again for a price? This would be an amazing gift for my boyfriend and it would be awesome if I could get one like this for a good price. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Tori
ToriB is offline Find More Posts by ToriB
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Thank you

Thank you so much for all this helpful info. I have had my tumbler since the Christmas after Batman Begins came out. It was my wife's big gift to me. I have never had an RC before, but really wanted to improve it. I plan on getting started with this project now.

I do have one question. Do you remember what size drill bit you used in that one photo?
Mariust2012 is offline Find More Posts by Mariust2012
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
HELP ME PLEASE,
I realized today my dream, i just bought GIANT TYCO Batman Radio Control TUMBLER Batmobile RC Car 2005 Dark Knight scale 1:6 made by TYCO / Mattel 2005 - 27 MHz - G3448 model number...tell me please, where i can find " remote controle" for this batmobile ??
thank you very much
brazilian2013 is offline Find More Posts by brazilian2013
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:37 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Sell?

Hello you sell or build another?
Sergio Nuno is offline Find More Posts by Sergio Nuno