HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:32 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Help!
Anyone Else Had Problems with Airfield T28?

I just got mine in the mail on Friday and the whole reason I purchased this was because two people told me they had it flying within an hour out of the box with no problems. Of course I get mine and seems to be nothing but problems.

First, I am not a builder and actually kind of loath building because I work so many hours and have a two year old, so I don't have much time to build, but I love flying, so thought this was the perfect model after seeing at eWeek, the Electric Nall, and hearing what a great flyer it was and mostly how good it looked combined with how quickly it went together.

I got it together but found one flap not working, one landing gear door not closing (will open, just not close, strange), cowl flaps will not close all the way even with subtrim maxed out and I don't see a way to be able to get in there and remove make any manual adjustments on those servos. I have glued the tail on already so not sure I can send it back to Nitroplanes but I am severely disappointed, almost to the point of depression!!!! OK maybe not that bad but come on, I would like to put something together that actually works the first time around. Really hoped to have this in the air this weekend but that is obviously not going to happen.

Has anyone else encountered these servo problems with the T28? If so did Nitroplanes help at all or did you replace the servos. Any ideas?

Help!
RCFlyer43 is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyer43
Last edited by RCFlyer43; Oct 08, 2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Change type of post from discussion to HELP!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:22 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
I see your in Denver, I'm in Huntersville. Where do you fly at?

* Sorry this doesn't help your questions at all.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:02 AM
Joined Jun 2008
705 Posts
Man that sucks. I was thinking of ordering one too, but now I don't know. I may have to go with a Dynam. Did you get the 1400mm version?
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
I see your in Denver, I'm in Huntersville. Where do you fly at?

* Sorry this doesn't help your questions at all.
No problem, I actually just moved to Harrisburg, NC so thanks for letting me know I need to adjust my profile. I still fly out of the same club it is actually not too far from you, it is RC Wingers in Mooresville, it is really on the border of Davidson and Mooresville, check out the page there on the link. I am thinking of joining the Flying Aces because the speedway club is 10 minutes from the house, but I wouldn't use the Waymer field in Huntersville. Only draw back to the speedway field is it closed for a few weeks during race periods and no shelter so you have to bring your own if you have one. One of my friends belongs to both and he is supposed to meet me out there sometime soon to check it out.

Send me an email sometime at ncmcgoverns@gmail.com if you want to go flying!
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyafan1975 View Post
Man that sucks. I was thinking of ordering one too, but now I don't know. I may have to go with a Dynam. Did you get the 1400mm version?
Yes I did get the 1400mm version. I may just go get a couple new servos and replace the ones that came with it. Guess you do get what you pay for sometimes. I was really impressed with the price at first but I see why now. I will say the plane looks incredible and the ones I saw at eWeek last week looked terrific in the air too! Just wish there was some quality behind the looks.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:23 AM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
915 Posts
Hi there,
Im Travis, the one with the red and white T-28 from e-week. My good friend Bobby had the silver one.
I actually set both of them up and we built Bobby's there at the meet. I think we can get this figured out.
What kind of radio do you have?
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:03 AM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFlyer43 View Post
No problem, I actually just moved to Harrisburg, NC so thanks for letting me know I need to adjust my profile. I still fly out of the same club it is actually not too far from you, it is RC Wingers in Mooresville, it is really on the border of Davidson and Mooresville, check out the page there on the link. I am thinking of joining the Flying Aces because the speedway club is 10 minutes from the house, but I wouldn't use the Waymer field in Huntersville. Only draw back to the speedway field is it closed for a few weeks during race periods and no shelter so you have to bring your own if you have one. One of my friends belongs to both and he is supposed to meet me out there sometime soon to check it out.

Send me an email sometime at ncmcgoverns@gmail.com if you want to go flying!
Yea I'm familar with the wingers. Never flew there but I'm a regular up at hobbytown mooresville. I fly at waymer, you don't need to join the aces to fly at waymer just need a ama but like you said you do need to join to use the speedway. I only live 10m from waymer so it suits me well.

I have ordered a flew planes from Nitroplanes and I normally always replace the servos with hitec servos. They use 9g servos a lot which are normally to small for the bigger birds. I invest in good servos if I crash remove all the guts and move on to something else.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
726 Posts
Uh oh...I bought the 1400 mm Corsair from NP and, like you, have had nothing but trouble with lg doors not working, lg not working, the esc that came with the plane not working...on and on. I had the plane a full month before NP could get me a proper esc so i could even lower the landing gear. Yeah...plane looks fantastic, but trying to get things to work had almost scared me off from buying another one from them. I was just about to order the T-28...not now!
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf nut View Post
Hi there,
Im Travis, the one with the red and white T-28 from e-week. My good friend Bobby had the silver one.
I actually set both of them up and we built Bobby's there at the meet. I think we can get this figured out.
What kind of radio do you have?
Hey Travis, nice to meet you again. Yep I remember you saying one of them was actually built right there on site. I am using a Spektrum DX8 for my radio (on DSM2, not DSMX yet) Any way I have tried two receivers, started out with a 6 ch Orange Rx from Hobby King and then took my Spektrum Rx out of my Radian Pro and got the same results. Thought it might be the 4to1 Y-harness so tested the flap servo and gear door servo individually but still no luck.

Also have it set up on Tx for normal wing (1 Servo for aierlons and 1 servo for flaps) I know there are two for each but when using a Y harness I was told this is what Spektrum recommends for the Tx set up and works well like this on my Radian with flaps.

Appreciate anything you might know!
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
I have ordered a flew planes from Nitroplanes and I normally always replace the servos with hitec servos. They use 9g servos a lot which are normally to small for the bigger birds. I invest in good servos if I crash remove all the guts and move on to something else.
Guessing that is what I will have to do as well. Hitech MB servos are not all that expensive, just more the principle of thing.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Uh oh...I bought the 1400 mm Corsair from NP and, like you, have had nothing but trouble with lg doors not working, lg not working, the esc that came with the plane not working...on and on. I had the plane a full month before NP could get me a proper esc so i could even lower the landing gear. Yeah...plane looks fantastic, but trying to get things to work had almost scared me off from buying another one from them. I was just about to order the T-28...not now!
Yes I have heard a few negative things about NitroPlanes but have heard some real positive things recently and I got to admit the planes they have look fantastic! And for the money, if they work, you just can't beat them. But I would be willing to shell out a few more bucks for it coming with decent servos (if that indeed is what the problem is).
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:38 PM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
915 Posts
You might want to try the connection directly at the servo, I have actually seen an extension go bad.
For the cowl flaps, unhook the flap linkage and use the end point adjustment on the tx to get the cowl flaps set just right. Then adjust the linkages to the flaps.

Hope that works,
Travis
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:58 AM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
You might want to try the connection directly at the servo, I have actually seen an extension go bad.
For the cowl flaps, unhook the flap linkage and use the end point adjustment on the tx to get the cowl flaps set just right. Then adjust the linkages to the flaps.

Hope that works,
Travis
Thanks Travis, I will try that when I get home this evening. One thing on the gear doors I noticed yesterday doing some more investigating, is that if I manually close the doors with the plane off, the door that is having the problem not closing opens just fine but will do nothing when time to close.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:

Hope that works,
Travis
Haven't had time to get to this yet, took my tools and radio over to a friends to start building a Super Cub that we have had sitting in a box for a few weeks.

Hopefully get to the T28 this weekend now. Actually burning vacation days for the Super Cub build.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:

Hope that works,
Travis
Travis (and anyone else interested), we tested the servos individually and bottom line is the plane came with 3 bad servos. At first I thought the sequencer was bad but when testing the servos without the sequencer the two gear door servos did not work.

All the connections were good. A friend had some spare HK HXT900 servos and I have the doors working perfectly now. Will have to get some servos now for the flaps.

I have tried to contact Nitroplanes now 3 times, two via email and one phone and not getting anywhere except on hold and no response via emails, and that doesn't count trying to fill out there supposedly online ticket submission which kicks you back every time you fill in the verification code (tried on two different computers, a MAC and PC, and two different browsers on each).

Again the plane looks spectacular and the technology is amazing with the sequencer and doors and even all the lights, but really I would be willing to pay a little extra for some quality parts.

We have another club member who just purchased and put together and says everything is working on his great so I guess I just got a bad one, but three bad servos makes me really leery of trusting the rest of them to perform for basic flight, might end up changing them all. Also some support from the place of purchase would have been nice, bad when you get better support from overseas than you do from a company in California.