HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:49 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
Discussion
800 mm FMS/Airfield Skyraider

It's been pointed out to me that sticking an ARF together hardly counts as building, so we'll call this a discussion thread.

I have had very little time to fly lately and was thinking that I could get one of these little guys to fly in my yard. Now that I have the plane, I think that was pretty optimistic. It's about the same weight as my Eflite L-4, with less wing area, so this is going to need a park.

The plane itself is gorgeous. I am really impressed with the quality of such a small model. Foam is smooth, paint is great, lots of detail plastic bits, even clear dome windows in the entrance doors. The aerials and such are all keyed into the foam, so you can't possibly install them in the wrong place or upside down. I really like the neat little clamps that hold the gear struts in place, easy to open if you want to remove the gear for a hand launch. Pilot is funky, but that seems standard.

Mine must have been roughly handled - the box was intact but one of the inner partitions was broken which allowed the fuse to move and break the rudder off. No big deal, a couple of Dubro hinges and better than new. Cries out for a 4-blade prop of course, but FMS are using the same props on all their little foamies. I managed to restrain myself and assemble it stock, no flaps or retracts. It's small enough to leave in the car in case a little time and weather coincide.

Instructions call for a 1000 mAh 2S lipo, but I have a couple of 900's that were too big to fit the L4 that I will use. Looking forward to getting her in the air. Anybody else flying one of these?

Regards,
Jeff

PS - another nice touch is that FMS gives you spares for all the little bits that you are likely to lose or damage. Couple of control horns, clevises, mounting screws, even a spare wing bolt.
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Last edited by jhspring; Oct 08, 2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Poor memory
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:59 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
One last afterthought. I always mount the control horns before gluing the control surfaces in - much easier. In this case, I could not force the control horn screws through at all. I drilled all the mounting holes out with a 1/6" drill bit mounted in a pin vice and then everything went together smoothly.

Jeff
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:53 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
One last afterthought. I always mount the control horns before gluing the control surfaces in - much easier. In this case, I could not force the control horn screws through at all. I drilled all the mounting holes out with a 1/6" drill bit mounted in a pin vice and then everything went together smoothly.

Jeff
Yes, I forgot to mention that I had to do that as well with my Zero.

My "assembly":
~Soldered ESC battery connection and plug on each battery after removing all the old ones
~Stripped paint off of surfaces to be glued. That took a couple hours to do it right.
~Drilled out the 20 holes in the control horns by hand so that the random non-standard sized screws would work and so that the horns would assemble
~Screwed and glued the horns
~Cut holes for installation of radio antenna
~Glued antenna in place
~Glued all the airframe pieces together - horizontal stabilizers into fuse, fuse onto wing, cowl onto fuse
~Hinged all of the surfaces because none are hinged
~Installed control linkages
~Reglued in servos, removing the useless rubber cement junk and paint
~Reglued in the landing gear mounts, removing the useless rubber cement junk and paint
~Centered the very off-center servos
~Removed the steerable tail wheel assembly (if only this was a kit, to think of the time saved)
~Set CG using coins* and later hopefully lead
~Repainted cowl and lead edge of wing
~Tape front edge of wing
~Filed servo plugs to fit Rx
~Plugged in Rx
~Set mixing and reversal of rudder and flap channel in Tx
~Removed air intake using high speed and the weight of the plane against the ground (tough work!)
~Recreated and installed air intake out of EPP foam using a razor and a lighter

It would have been easier to assemble a kit.

*And I still need to get some lead to set CG. I used 3 nickels (5gx3=15g) and 2 quarters (5.67gx2=11.34g) to balance it. So I need a further 26g to balance my plane out with my 2S 800mah battery. I don't have a little scale out here, so I might have to rely on the hobby shop. I didnt have the quarters up as far as they could have been. It's likely that 25g will do the trick.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Last edited by Afraidtoregister; Oct 08, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:11 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
That Skyraider looks great. After flying this Zero, I realized my eyes are pretty bad. As if glasses didn't make it obvious enough. Can you easily tell the top from the bottom? I'd likely have to do a repaint.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:19 AM
Australia, VIC, Shepparton
Joined Jun 2011
299 Posts
I love my little skyraider ..Now I now it flies well time for a little weathering

jeff
jeffhines2673 is offline Find More Posts by jeffhines2673
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:07 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister View Post
That Skyraider looks great. After flying this Zero, I realized my eyes are pretty bad. As if glasses didn't make it obvious enough. Can you easily tell the top from the bottom? I'd likely have to do a repaint.
Bottom is unpainted (white) and upper is flat grey, so I think I am okay. Lots of bright stickers on the tail help with orientation, one of reasons I picked the Skyraider.

I pretty much put mine together stock. The control horn screws come in two lengths, the longer one goes to the front (thicker) part of the control surface. Control surfaces use live hinges, which seems to be the standard these days. I only bothered to re-hinge the rudder b/c it broke off. I didn't bother to re-hinge b/c it's a parkflier and I am not expecting major aerodynamic loads on the control surfaces. All my aerials, scoops and plates had keyed slots to fit in, no cutting necessary. For such a small plane, I only used tape to pull some of the paint off the horizontal stab pieces (which are also keyed), then made a bunch of little holes with a toothpick to give the glue something to bite into. Didn't glue the cowl or the wing, I may want to get in there later.

All the servo leads fit my little Corona rx fine, although I didn't use the aileron Y b/c I run the ailerons on two different channels to get differential. One cool thing is that the aileron servo pockets are moulded so you can get a screwdriver to the horn screw if you need to remove it without removing the servo. I did re-center the rudder servo, the others were fine. Mine also balances right on the money with no nose weight.

The Skyraider is the latest in this series, maybe they have made some design improvements over the earlier birds?

Jeff glad you like yours. Anything I should watch for on the maiden?

Regards,
Jeff
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:12 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
~Removed air intake using high speed and the weight of the plane against the ground (tough work!)

I see you do a lot of impact testing as well. Oddly enough, no matter how many times I check, the ground seems to be about the same hardness. :-) I am speaking as the master of the one-point "arrival."

Jeff
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:00 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
I could tally up all the time spent doing each item to show that I put a few hours into the build. But that high speed scoop removal and ground hardness test took about a quarter of a second. THUD! It was full of dirt after each maiden until that perfect looking belly landing where it popped off.

I can't believe the level of detail on the Skyraider. That window is a window?!
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:41 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister View Post

I can't believe the level of detail on the Skyraider. That window is a window?!
Yup, there is one of those little dome windows in each side. Plus aerials, airscoops, even plastic airflow deflection plates behind the cowl. I'm also impressed with what a smooth surface the foam has. Excellent job overall.

Jeff
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:08 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
Okay, attempted to maiden today. Not a perfect day, gusty and the wind changed direction 180 degrees every few minutes. Flew the L4 first, had some problems, realized after landing that the port aileron servo was stripped, so from that perspective, pretty good flight.

Okay Skyraider. I have a 2S 20C 900, freshly charged. Put it in, discover I have the rudder reversed -oops. Fix that, taxi a bit. Not great acceleration, first t/o I aborted b/c I was running out of room. Debate packing it in, but want to see it in the air. Wait til the wind changes direction, t/o with extra room, but acceleration is slow. Got it in the air, but it was clearly flying too slowly and the first bank did the stall/snap. Fortunately, but that time I was over grass and the damage was limited to popping out one wheel holder.

I double checked the specs and it calls for a 2S 15C 1000, but it sure doesn't seem to be enough power to me. I am going to order a couple of lipos, but it looks to me like 2S are a waste of money, it'll take 3S to get it in the air.

What batteries are other folks using in these 800 mm birds? Feedback appreciated.

Jeff
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
To Have & To Hold
Joined May 2010
100 Posts
I fly my FMS Mini A1-Skyraider on a 1000mah 3S1P. You've got to squeeze though. Vis-a-vis to the FMS Mini Zero Fighter, the Skyraider is twice as easy to see. Happy flying. I like the Skyraider very much - it's a great plane to fly and I bring it out every week for about two over months now.
Percivale is offline Find More Posts by Percivale
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:31 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
Thank you, Perci. I have gone ahead and ordered a trio of 3S 1000's. I cam always throttle back. My first impressions are positive, nice to know you like it too. Jeff
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:58 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
My 800mm Zero and Hellcat haul ass on 2S. Did you program the throttle range of the ESC per the manual?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:10 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,095 Posts
Afraid, you are probably correct. I was out to the park yesterday with the L4. I used up all the 2S 500's I had with me, so I shoehorned one of those 2S 900's in. Same problem as the Skyraider, not enough power, stalled on t/o. The issue appears to be old/weak batteries. Going to pitch those. I have already ordered the 3S ones though, so that's what I will try next.

Jeff
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Ok, good to hear. Just don't burn up that 20A ESC.

On 2S, I've yet to warm up my ESC. They are both much faster than my PZ Corsair. I was able to keep on the tail of kit built GWS P51 yesterday for an entire battery.