HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:38 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
Discussion
Pro Boat MYSTIC 29 (racing, mods and customs)!!!!!!!!!

Pro Boat MYSTIC 29 (racing, mods and customs)!!!!!!!!!

As more of us are bashing our new 29's... how about documenting your upgrades and pics in one location. This thread is intended to document my progress in customizing and racing my boat.

So far I have stripped the decals and cleaned the residue with wd-40. Wiped the hull down with alcohol and began my paint scheme. Using Rustoleum rattle cans from Lowes. Laid down the orange today.

Have a X642 aluminum prop on the way. Using 2s's 5000mah 40c packs.

So whats working for you? Anyone painted theirs yet? Anyone planning to race it? Lets here it and see it!!!!!!!!!!!
Awall is offline Find More Posts by Awall
Last edited by Awall; Oct 08, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:43 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
Don't know exactly where im headed on graphics but I added the red that will hold my PDR (paintless dent repair...my company ) logos. Red Rustoleum. looking good. More time taping than painting.
Last edited by Awall; Oct 08, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:00 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
I own a Mystic but havent modded it and probably wont due to my local racing buddies and our "4s stock motor" agreement. But i cant help but wonder what it would do with a 4074 or even a 4082!
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:11 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
Understandable. I hope to race mine stock...but don't have a local club that races fe....which is crazy being that 50% of our county is water. go figure.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:47 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,512 Posts
I like using the Rustoleum rattle cans myself. It seems to hold up well once cured and makes a pretty nice finish too.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:50 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
Close to done. Father in law will stripe and I have a few decls to add.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:47 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Looks great so far, except the race course is run clockwise, so your "PDR" will be upside-down when viewing it on the course....

Take it easy,
desmobob
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:51 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
Yeah I noticed that when I was done. Oversite on my part. I have some other white lettering to add onto the backbone of the P in PDR. Anyways, this might actually end up as a SAW straight line boat as we don't have an offshore spec class locally. Might pull the spec motor to use in a hydro or tunnel. I added some racing decals and a number today. I bought new gold plated 5.5 connectors to replace the deans connectors in the boat. Might do that to the esc/motor connectors too.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:07 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Your boat looks sharp. I'm anxious to do some painting on mine this winter (which is getting close here in northern NY). I'm going to blueprint the hull and think about adding a layer of carbon fiber to the hull and hatch. I'd ditch the stock wooden motor mount base, etc., and put in something a little more racy.

Since two of my buddies at the lake also bought Mystics and aren't the type who will do any upgrade/hop-up work on them, I'll probably leave my stock motor in place to keep things close for racing. I have a Seaking 120A ESC that I may install if I don't just keep it on hand for a back-up.

I've run mine on the stock prop, a sharpened/balanced/polished stock prop, a s/b/p x640 and a s/b/p x642. I'm liking the x640 best. I'm using Zippy 2S1P 5000mah 40C packs and have replaced the stock ESC's Dean's with 5.5mm bullets.

I have a buddy in Beaufort... he lives on South River Drive, out in the sticks!

Take it easy,
desmobob
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:10 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
Blue printing the hull is next on my list. Gotta get the scuff going to speed it up. Yeah it's a geat place to live...i live further out ...4 miles from beach. No worries here about my ponds freezing over.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
Spent whole morning on the boat:

Sanded and blue printed hull

Replaced all connectors to gold 5.5mm (motor and esc)

Replaced zip tie on esc with velcro strap

Zip tied all water cooling lines at fittings

Stuffed two 12" foam noodle pieces up the forward sponsons

Slightly shortened water lines to motor to keep from pushing against the lid

Shaped, balanced and balanced new X642 prop

Added small racing decals (still have alittle graphic work to do)

Figured CG and added velcro to flimsy battery trays (I want to stiffen these up in the future)

I can't believe I have had the boat this long nd haven't got it out on the water yet. Think it all started with the painting. All well, I do that with most of my models.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:38 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,024 Posts
Is jumper by itself in pic one is to connect the batteries to each other?

* It's less wiring (and resistance) to just hook the batteries to each other without the jumper.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Citizen #99
Joined Jan 2005
168 Posts
yeah..i just configured the stock setup but will probably just connect both batteries and forget the jumper. I did this before I had figured CG and didn't know if the batteries would rech each other.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
Is jumper by itself in pic one is to connect the batteries to each other?

* It's less wiring (and resistance) to just hook the batteries to each other without the jumper.

I was also wondering what the jumper was for... just hook one lead from each battery to the ESC and the remaining two leads to each other; no jumper necessary (or desired, unless your battery leads are really short).

Take it easy,
desmobob

--Edit-- Awall, looks like your response beat mine by seconds! Never mind!
Last edited by desmobob; Oct 20, 2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: late response
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Jul 2004
160 Posts
Looks great
Razmo is offline Find More Posts by Razmo