HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:27 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Really interesting build, especially with the counter rotating prop. I built the ESM Skyraider and I replaced the all the hardware with better quality parts. I just don't trust the Chinese hardware as I've found the tensile strength to be rather poor with some of the products I've dealt with. A good example is I decided to use the kit supplied screws for the tailwheel hatch (not gonna loose the aircraft if one fails) and while screwing one in, the head snapped off and I hadn't even applied much torque to it.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:13 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I have actually not had any problems with the supplied hardware in the kits I have put together so far. I don’t know if the hardware on the Skyraider is different but the hardware I got with the spitfire is pretty nice IMHO. Nothing to write home about but I dont think it will be the weak link.

I did get the 4.5" Zinger spinner and it is not going to work out like I had planned. I thought the angle at the base would be similar to the 4" but it is not for some reason. I’m going to have to throw down and get one of the nice fiberglass ones from Esprit for the rear prop I guess, the angle at the base is much shallower.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I broke down and ordered a 4.5" Esprit models fiberglass spinner for the rear prop. I probably should have just done that in the first place, but they are pricey. I Got 10% off for their black Friday sale so at least shipping was "free". If this one doesn’t work I might be out of luck. I still plan on using the 4" Zinger for the front prop unless it looks absolutely terrible.

On an unrelated note, I just realized that the bell of the Turnigy SK3 motor I redciently ordered is the same size as the rear bell on the CR motor and the shaft is the same size. I'm going to swap it in as long as it will truly fit and see if it'll work.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
So I found another distributor for the CR50 motor today while looking around for parts for my other RC love, EDF. AEO RC makes small (25,30,35mm etc.) EDF units and I went to their webpage for some information and a banner with the CR 50 was there. It is the same motor except the end of the shaft was not threaded (as it shouldn’t) and there was no collar to hold the front bell on (absolutely necessary). The other thing that was curious was the price, $244, $130 more than I paid. The only thing that would make it worth it is if they could guarantee that the rear bell was drilled strait, as it would still be $100 less than the Himaxx motor.

http://www.aeorc.com/english/?product-381.html
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:28 AM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
I think AEO is the manufacturer of the CR50. I asked some questions on their website a while ago, but didn't receive any answer.
Can you post a link to the Turnigy SK3 motor with the same size as the rear bell? Is the magnet length the same?
Thanks.
Bloodhound is offline Find More Posts by Bloodhound
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:38 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Above is the motor. It says the can length is 23mm which is probably too small. The magnets on the CR50 are 25mm long but HK has been known to screw up on measurements. Im not even sure its got 14 magnets. I ordered the motor for another plane and it just happens to look about right so we will see. I have been looking for a while and cant seem to find a motor with 25mm magnets and a 50mm bell, save a Scorpion but Im not paying $160 to find out if it would work.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:56 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I got some work done on the spinner tonight. It looks like the fiberglass one from Esprit model is going to work. Itís not an exact fit, where the two meet the angles are just a little different, but you wonít notice it in the air and once itís painted it shouldnít be very noticeable on the ground. I'm very glad that I went with the fiberglass on the rear anyways, it was much easier to cut and then sand to the required length. Everything was done on a cordless drill with the spinner chucked up on an adaptor. All I need to do now is find a lathe so I can open the rear spinner hub up to 13mm and the front to 8mm.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:19 PM
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
455 Posts
Looks like it's coming nicely.
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:20 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Thanks, I think all this trouble will be worth it in the end. It is however, going to be a slow build. Three kids and one on the way does not make for much modeling time. I have had to go to small foamies to fly in the park just to get stick time in.

On topic, the electric retracts for this plane came in stock at TBM. I am going to give them a call in the next few days to see if they have fixed the one hour time-to-retract problem. I really hope they have, they are such nice looking sturdy retracts for an awesome price.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMSPITF-73ER.html
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:39 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,150 Posts
Nice work on the spinner. It looks great! Those retracts do look pretty good as well. And a great price. But I haven't seen a slower set of retracts. They need to sort that out and they will sell a heap.
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:21 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Nice Work Scott!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:42 AM
Glider Guider
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,711 Posts
Looking good, Scott.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I finally got around to calling TBM about the "new" retracts. Apparently they still take 60-90 days to go up and down. TBM has a fix for it but it takes some work and costs an extra $50. They have Gen2 retracts coming in Feb that will take only 12 seconds to retract and they will be about $200. I'm bummed, I was really hoping I was going to get some nice retracts for just $144. It was just too good to be true ...and I’ll have to spend more money than I wanted.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:02 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
That's a Bummer.
Robart is coming out with electric retracts but I can't imagine they will be any cheaper.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:00 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Scott, TBM has an uprade board coming for the Gen 1 retracts. It is supposed to be cheaper than buying gen 2's.