What do you think of the ARF so far? TW
TripleW is online now Find More Posts by TripleW
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
This is my first ESM plane and I am impressed. Out of the box it looks like it comes from the same factory the CMP planes come from but the workmanship is much better. Everything fits the way it is supposed to and the paint lines actually line up .

It's 6" from the firewall to the fron of the cowl, plenty of room for the 4" motor. I was kinda worried about that one since this motor is long. It also looks like there is plenty of room where the gas tank is supposed to go for two 6s 5000 packs. Im hoping that with the heavier motor and 4 lbs of batteries I wont have to put them right under the motor like everyone else that has built this plane did.

I kinda wish they has servo hatches on the rear of the plane to mount the elevator and rudder servos like the wing servos. I hate long rods and wires on fast planes, too much slop.

My motor is in the air on its way here so I should have it this next week.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:41 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,765 Posts
No scabbing servos on the empennage of this one Scott! Plus it will just make it more tail heavy.

Are you gonna mount the motor? All thread and locknuts?
Last edited by TripleW; Oct 15, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
No scabbing servos on the empennage of this one Scott! Plus it will just make it more tail heavy.

Are you gonna mount the motor? All thread and locknuts?
Thats the whole point of having them mounted to hatches Walter. The only thing showing is the control horn and the four screws holding the hatch on. I would just need to fab a hardwood structure underneath. I thought about the weight in the tail, we will see.

The motor comes with its own mounting hardware that I plan on using. It looks like I will need 70mm or so standoffs on the back of the supplied mounting plate to get me to 160mm. Ill have to see when I get it what the best option will be.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:56 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
It looks like there is a ton of room in the tail for servos. I would love to not have to run lines through the entire plane but well see. I know Walter, 100 grams back there is not going to be good for the balance. Especially on a type of plane that already had balance issues. Ill have to see what its going to be like once I get the motor and my new batts.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:37 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Hmmm...just got another idea. Im stealing it from the jet guys. I could sink some wing/mini servos into the stabs. They are plenty thick.

Looks like the Futaba S3102 will fit and has 64 oz-in on 6 volts. Would that be enough for this plane with one servo per side?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:28 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,765 Posts
Good idea. Maybe you should tape them to stab and balance the bird with everything else installed. Just to make sure you don't have a to add too much nose wieght.

I wad that Viperjet in the shopping cart and screwed up my password and then they were all gone!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:42 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Good idea. Maybe you should tape them to stab and balance the bird with everything else installed. Just to make sure you don't have a to add too much nose wieght.

I wad that Viperjet in the shopping cart and screwed up my password and then they were all gone!
Yeah, the main thing will be the motor and batts so once I have those and I get the wing together I can do a preliminary balancing. Now I just have to figure out how to get the rudder servo back there.

On the Viper, I have done that more than once. One time it was concert tickets, sold out in two minutes. I was pissed. I am actually going to piggy back on a thread in the EDF forum for a Thorpe F-20 Tigershark. Its a built up jet that looks really nice when done. I figured once in my career I needed to build one from scratch. Itll have a high power 90mm setup.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Well I recieved the motor today.... The front motor is nice and smooth, the rear motor not so much. The magnets rub against the stators. Other than that it looks nice. Well see what HK says, hopefully this is just my motor and I can get a replacement that doesnt rub. The only thing I would need to do is make a custom shaft....its too short.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
I'm really interested in this motor. The pictures don't show much on the HK page, can you please tell me if the motor comes with propellers? They recommend 17in propellers, but it's impossible to find a contra-rotating propeller set of this diameter.

Also the motor pictures show only the empty motor shafts, without any prop adapters or other hardware. Are these included?

Thanks.
Bloodhound is offline Find More Posts by Bloodhound
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:11 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Nothing is impossible BH . Zinger makes three and four blade props in almost every sze they have including pushers. They are just reallllly expensive. I will use 16" MS props and I think they will be plenty big.

And, sadly no, there is no other hardware included with the motor except what is in the picture. It is not a bad attempt at a CR motor but it needs some work. If the quality was there everywhere else I would be willing to work with it but sadly it is not. It looks like at this point I will return it unless they can supply a replacement that the magnets dont rub on the stators. Otherwise I might have to pony up for a HiMaxx motor.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:25 AM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Thanks. Maybe i'm wrong, but the Zinger props seem to be designed for glow power, they may work with electrics but they wouldn't be efficient.
Bloodhound is offline Find More Posts by Bloodhound
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:41 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I dont know if I would say they are less efficient. In my experience the non e-props for a given diameter and pitch will produce about the same amount of thrust for just a slightly higher amp draw. In this case however, for a 17" contra prop system, Zinger is the only game in town.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
473 Posts
I think the main difference is the extra weight in the gas props to deal with the extra vibration. I don't worry about it too much, if I need a gas prop on an electric plane (usually due to scale appearance) I just go ahead an do it. As long as you are happy with how it flies and all the components are operating below the amp spec there is no reason not to.

scott.
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:02 PM
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
455 Posts
Hi scatsob,
Yer there's no problem using gas props on electric motors. I,ve also had to resort to them for my contra motors in the past. With pushers you use what you can find.

I'm interested to see how you get on on with this motor, If you get the rubbing sorted. I didn't realise just how big a motor it was at first, about twice the power of any I've built in the past.

I've also been tempted by the HiMaxx & nice looking motor they are to, but I could never justify the cost. Of course the real challenge is to build a motor your self, are you up for it !!
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy