Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf nut View Post
You got to love the Baron also
I love anything with a contra Griffon.

How about this....a 150" or so XF-11 with twin twin CA120-70's swinging four 25" four blade props. It would probably be 30kW or so. But I digress, and need to get into medical school first before I can even think about buying 4 HV160's, 4 CA120's and 8 batteries for one little plane.

Sorry Aero, I have been laid up sick all weekend. I am taking tomorrow off too so maybe tomorrow morning I can test the CR50 again. I will post video if I do.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Last edited by scatsob; May 01, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:22 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
No worries mate, I really was kidding. Hope you are feeling better soon.

What about an XP-56? That would be cool! The list of contra rotating aircraft is much bigger than I first expected.
aerophilia is offline Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
The list is quite long, and there are some strange looking ones too.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
I think there's a fairey janet in an air museum close to me. It is a strange looking bird!!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:30 PM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
915 Posts
This is another one of my favorites,
AND, it had 2 V-12
Cant imagine what the wing loading would be......lol
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:31 PM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
915 Posts
Also, take a look at the pitch on the props
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut
Old May 01, 2012, 12:05 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
Sebart make a very nice 50 size kit of the Macchi. I'm sure someone will make a contra out of it sooner or later!
Sebart Macchi MC72 50E Futaba 8FG 乾燥後 Dry Futaba 8FG after 40 minutes (4 min 16 sec)
Old May 01, 2012, 06:58 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Dear lord, those props probably stall on startup. And it does not look like there are any provisions for cooling, so I guess they were single use engines. So many contra planes and so little money.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:38 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
I had a funny feeling all the gold panels were some sort of radiator system.
Old May 01, 2012, 09:48 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Anyone think I should be concerned with the 8mm shaft? The Rotomax 50cc motor has a 10mm shaft and is available now but I have not been able to find pictures of one taken apart. I know for sure that I can double up the CA80-80 but that 8mm shaft still concerns me a little.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:59 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,876 Posts
I for one think the 8mm shaft a little small on ONE motor, let alone extending it for two props!! I'd be looking at 12mm for the front motor with an 8mm shaft supported by the best 10mm x8mm bearings I could get. This would be a real powerhouse combo for sure! Loads on shafts, esp the 8mm will be huge, so best quality shafting, exact machining will be an absolute must.
Do these motor have 2 or 3 bearings in each, if only two I'd be looking for a way to install a 3rd on each bell end for stiffness. FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old May 01, 2012, 01:24 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
Found some more good pictures on the CA80-80. Looks easy to get apart and will be easy to put two back to back. As soon as I can get my grubby hands on a couple I will get started.

Sorry for all the off topic stuff. TBM is killing me with these retracts. I swear every other plane has the retracts in stock except the 72" Spitfire.
Hi Scott, since you've been taking these motors apart and such, what's your opinion on the quality of these HK motors as compared to the others in their proce range. This one in particluar seems to be amazing quality to me. (based on what I can see of course )

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old May 01, 2012, 02:39 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
I for one think the 8mm shaft a little small on ONE motor, let alone extending it for two props!! I'd be looking at 12mm for the front motor with an 8mm shaft supported by the best 10mm x8mm bearings I could get. This would be a real powerhouse combo for sure! Loads on shafts, esp the 8mm will be huge, so best quality shafting, exact machining will be an absolute must.
Do these motor have 2 or 3 bearings in each, if only two I'd be looking for a way to install a 3rd on each bell end for stiffness. FWIW Doug B
There will technically only be one shaft in the double motor. The rear prop is bolted to the bell of the front motor. These motors have three bearing, two in the stator housing and one skirt bearing holding the rear of the bell. So the 8mm shaft in a double motor made from the CA80-80 would go through the entire motor so it will probably be about 25cm long. I wish I could find pictures of a rotomax ripped apart.

Wollins- Sorry for the confusion, but those pictures are not mine. I stole them from a German forum in a thread about the CA80-80.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:08 PM
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
455 Posts
and the only part of the shaft you have to worry about is the bit in front of the front bearing in the front stator as all the rest of it's length is supported.
I'd be tempted to give it a go with the 8mm shaft.
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
Old May 02, 2012, 06:32 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basingstoke Roy View Post
and the only part of the shaft you have to worry about is the bit in front of the front bearing in the front stator as all the rest of it's length is supported.
I'd be tempted to give it a go with the 8mm shaft.
Actually there would be at least one more bearing added to the front bell so the exposed unsupported shaft would be 50cm or so. Depending on how I make a new prop adaptor for the front bell it could be even shorter. I need to start making some drawings as this is getting complicated to explain in words.