HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Pro Builder
United States, FL, Englewood
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
What are you guys Needing for ESM Stuff? If there is any thing i can be of help with please let me know.
Thanks
Tim
http://www.arfpromodelplanes.com
tim.arf is offline Find More Posts by tim.arf
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
919 Posts
Scatsob

Have a look at the ESM Spitfire XIV forum. Fox One posted pics of my solution to battery and switch access. The surrounding posts add further info.

Bob
Bob P is offline Find More Posts by Bob P
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Hi Bob. Your Spitfire looked great. I really liked the way you did the exhaust stacks. I am going to copy that idea as I need them open as well for cooling air exhaust. I remember the pictures but I am going to have to do things a little different. I need to keep the integrity of the original firewall intact as my motor is attached to it. I think I will be OK though, it should balance just fine with the batteries sitting where the fuel tank is supposed to go. You wouldn't happen to remember where you had yours balanced? I want to double check the manual.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
919 Posts
Hi Scatsob

The manual said 107 mm but I flew at 115 mm with the original non-retracting tailwheel. I had two speakers in the wing covered by the radiators. These weighed 3/4 lb. So 115 was ther furthest forward I could get. The model was stable and entered spins reluctantly and recovered readily on releasing the sticks. There was no excessive wing drop at the stall just a mush into a nose drop and gentle left wing drop.

I noted from reading other peoples experiences that some I C Spits were using 124 mm. I calculated that this would allow me to fit the retracting tailwheel. This I did and the result was 121 mm. The model was marginally stable now, but safe. The stall was not much different and not viscious and neither was the wing drop. Spin recovery was slower than before, about half a turn. If pushed into a dive the model would continue, showing that it was just stable. The model was still safe and easy to fly. However, for preference I would have liked a more forward CG. I reckon this about the limit.

I guess I hadn't noted that the IC guys balance with empty tanks. They avoid dead stick landings therefore they always fly with some fuel in the tank, giving a more forward CG. A point to beware when reading their threads!

Bob
Bob P is offline Find More Posts by Bob P
Last edited by Bob P; Mar 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Wow, Bob. I really appreciate the detailed answer. I have 110mm marked on the fuse and with the motor and props on and without the wings on it balances about 75mm back from that. With a little under 2kg of batteries where the fuel tank was supposed to go and more work on the cowl that will add weight to the nose I think it will balance just fine.

Scott
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:40 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Sorry, this does not technically have to do with the spitfire, but it is related. I am upgrading another motor for a new friend down under and wanted to post my findings.

The new motor appears to be of better construction than the original one I received. The rear bell does not nutate nearly as much as my first one and did not hit the stators. The stators were still ground down at the factory but it did not require additional sanding to keep the magnets from rubbing.

The magnets are also different on the new motor. You can see in the picture that my first motor the magnets had a decent amount of space in-between them. That was the main reason I decided to put the JB Weld in-between the magnets. The new magnets are a bit wider and just about take up the whole space. Itís going to be interesting trying to get epoxy in those small spaces.

On this motor though one of the two front shaft bearings was shot from the factory so I needed to replace them, something I did not have to do on the first one. They are 6mm x 10mm x 3mm in case anyone wanted to know.

Anyways, once I get the last of the bearings from Boca it will be ready to button back up. I will put the prop setup from my Spitfire on this motor and see what come up. It will be interesting to see if the numbers come out the same as the first motor. Ill post then when I do the testing.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:27 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,059 Posts
:d:d:d
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Here is the first test of the motor I am building for my new mate (am I allowed to use that word as a yankee?) in the post above this aerophilia. Numbers are very similar to my first motor. This run was on partially charged packs and came out to right around 2.7kW total, about 1350 watts per motor. It pulled like CRAZY, and it shows in the video

CR50 second motor first test (0 min 56 sec)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,059 Posts
Woohoo! Sounds so cool! Thanks Scatsob. The firewall on that Spitfire must be pretty strong
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
The whole nose section on that plane is crazy strong. The glass is real thick there and there is a 6mm piece of ply epoxied in there. I didn't notice when running it, but it really looks like as I advance the throttle it wants to jump out of my hands. This really is a great motor for the price, just needs a little TLC.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,328 Posts
man that motor is sweet! I can't wait to see this bird flying!
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:19 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
864 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this fly, too!!

Are those deans connectors you're using? I noticed a power improvement when I swapped to EC5's. . . .
FOX ONE! is online now Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:48 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
If TBM would ever get the landing gear back in stock I might actually be able to finish it. My kids also stole the wing joiner and I can't find it anywhere so I will have to get another.

Yeah, they are deans. I have been reading all the good things about EC5's but at a little over $1 a pop I need to save up to be able to swap out everything I have to EC5's.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,328 Posts
ya I backordered the 55" Pc-21 and wonder if it'll actually be in by June, or July at the latest. Are you still thinking about that one?, and hey you know what, this system would be killer in the Pc
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Of course I am still thinking about the PC-21. Itís only the single sexiest turbo-prop in existence. We will have to see what the total cost of that one is including the landing gear, if they ever get that in too. Then I will have to grovel to the wife. Though I am currently applying to med school and the wife said when I get accepted I can buy what ever I want, and I have that signed in writing.

Dude, this system would thrash that little plane And it weighs so much you would have to put the batteries in the tail.