HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Thank you for the info BR. I need to make a nice parallel connector now for my 10,000mAh pack . I know static thrust does not tell much for in-flight performance but I was wondering with your setup if you got static numbers with each motor individually and then with both together? I don't imagine that you get double the thrust, but some fraction close to 0.8-0.9.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I got a little work done on the stabs this morning. I mainly wanted to see if I was going to be able to mount the servos like I wanted to. It looks like it will not be a problem; I just need to buy some linkage hardware now. The only thing that was a little tricky is the 'lightening" hole was a little too long so I had to cut away some of the ply and glue in a mounting shelf.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Here is that vid.
At Min 7:50 he says it will be cheaper than gen 2's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=eV_9AesF8Yg#!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Hmmmm...unless they are making some drastic changes to the retracts other than the faster up time I don't see why they would be any more expensive. We will see I guess, I think I am still going to wait for the gen 2's, I am bad with decisions like this .
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I don't know if I could wait that long to maiden this bird. Good Luck on your decision.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I hear you Walter. Honestly it probably won’t be ready to fly till long after the gen 2's are released. I am trying to take it slow and do it right.

After working on the stabs for a while I think I am going to make them removable. I worry about electronics, and even though the INO-LAB servos I got get good review I just don’t feel comfortable epoxying them into the tail. It shouldn’t be very difficult. I need to add a peg to the leading part of the stab to prevent rotation and then figure out a way to keep them on. There is not enough room in the tail to attach them like most wings with a threaded rod and a nut. I might try attaching them like the wings on my KeeCat were attached. There was simply a bolt threaded into the aluminum spar-tube that went through the wing. I will post a picture later for clarity.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
I hear you Walter. Honestly it probably wonít be ready to fly till long after the gen 2's are released. I am trying to take it slow and do it right.

After working on the stabs for a while I think I am going to make them removable. I worry about electronics, and even though the INO-LAB servos I got get good review I just donít feel comfortable epoxying them into the tail. It shouldnít be very difficult. I need to add a peg to the leading part of the stab to prevent rotation and then figure out a way to keep them on. There is not enough room in the tail to attach them like most wings with a threaded rod and a nut. I might try attaching them like the wings on my KeeCat were attached. There was simply a bolt threaded into the aluminum spar-tube that went through the wing. I will post a picture later for clarity.
Good plan! I was wondering if your were going to make the stabs permanent or removable; there is nothing worst than having to break open a perfectly good wing in order to pull out a defective servo.

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:15 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I got a little time and finished the removeable stabs. It came out well and they are held very tight by a couple of 6x32 nylon screws. Here are some pictures.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:52 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Nice work, Scott.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,412 Posts
That's really slick, I like what you did there. I'm going to have to remember this one to possibly use on a future build.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:00 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Thanks guys. Now I just need to figure out where the rudder servo is going . I have so much weight in the nose I think I can put it in the tail without issue.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:45 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Are you gonna have a retracting tail wheel?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
You know, I keep going back and forth on that one. It would be infinitely easier to not have a retractable tail wheel, but infinitely cooler to have one. Right now I'm thinking that I will not have one knowing that I could put one in later on. If I do I will put in the robart mechanical one, it looks nice and wonít break the bank.

I also called TBM today. They sold out of Gen1 retracts and the gen2's arenít coming until the end of next month, so I will have to wait a bit longer to get the wing together. The Gen2's are going to be $204 and will include metal hubbed wheels. So they are only $20 more expensive than the Gen1's with the upgrade board but will have nicer wheels.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
nOOb Q

Hi guys... nice work you've done scatsob... listening to the sound of your full power run and the way the spinner came together, it's a fantastic looking and most likely performing bird to be proud of.

However all this is way out of my league. What has caught my eye is you're using the CR50L Brushless Outrunner from HK.

My nOOb question is this...

Having taken the motor all the way down and retrofitted, can you think of anything that would stop using this combo as a 'pusher'. By that I mean the shaft points aft, pushing the model ahead of it. Obviously the props need to be turned around ie. using your props the writing on the Master Airscrews must still face forward, but other than that I can't see anything that would prevent it.

Much appreciate your view and expertise...

cheers
I want to C OSD is offline Find More Posts by I want to C OSD