HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
That depends on what you get with just the rx powered alone. When I had a baseline of 60-70
paces and only 20 in the plane then range was only around 2 miles in the air and sometimes
rssi would plummet at even less than that. But you have to establish your own baseline,
because it's different for every tx/rx combo.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:31 PM
Australia, WA, Kewdale
Joined Nov 2011
19 Posts
Gday
I'm having an issue with binding a new rx to my Rangelink system. The Tx goes goes into bind mode no worries but when the rx is powered up the led goes solid red. Not the bright yellow the original one goes.
AlistairR is offline Find More Posts by AlistairR
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, CA, Encinitas
Joined Jan 2012
120 Posts
Is anyone using the head tracker input on the RL with a fatshark head tracker? I can't get mine to work. I have the predators and the HT output is connected to the corresponding HT input and gnd on the RL tx. Servos don't respond on any channel. I'm initializing the HT per fatshark's directions. any one else get this to work? thanks
nieder2 is offline Find More Posts by nieder2
Last edited by nieder2; Jul 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:09 AM
Australia, WA, Kewdale
Joined Nov 2011
19 Posts
thought it might be because it could have different firmware to the original Tx Rx I bought. Is this a possible problem? My old Rx still works fine. Power to Rx is 5.3v.
When I power down and power up the Tx and new Rx there is no led and no activity.

Any suggestions?
AlistairR is offline Find More Posts by AlistairR
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:50 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlistairR View Post
Gday
I'm having an issue with binding a new rx to my Rangelink system. The Tx goes goes into bind mode no worries but when the rx is powered up the led goes solid red. Not the bright yellow the original one goes.
Solid red indicates it is bound, but you won't see any activity on the channels.
Then depower Rx and Tx, and repower both and everything should
respond normally, and the light will blink very fast.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
593 Posts
Hi all,

Is anybody using RangeLink with Foxtech's AIO Goggles? I have a DX8 and the goggles work as expected with my TX. I also hooked up my DX8 with RL and have no issues but unfortunately I can't get HeadTracking to work with my RangeLink. Anyone else running AIO with RL that can help?

Thanks!
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
593 Posts
Hi Sid,

the Foxtech AIO Goggles worked correctly with my DX8. They have a menu that gives you the option of choosing the channels you want to use for pan/tilt, I selected channels 7 & 8. The goggles have a 4-pin connector: GND, VCC, PPM and HTPPM. The PPM pin is not used in the Spektrum cable that comes with the goggles (3.5mm audio plug) but it is used in the Futaba cable. This is the one I used to attach the goggles to RL, I get power on the goggles ok. I tried with and without the PPM pin and I couldn't get the servos in the RL RX to move.

Can you help? HT support with my DX8 was one of the main reasons I got the RL UHF. Am I supposed to select specific channels other than 7 & 8 for pan/tilt in my goggles to make it work? Does it matter? I tried 7&8, 5&6, 1&2 but none worked. Thanks!
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:57 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,717 Posts
Proposal for an extension

Hi Sid,

As you know I'm a happy RangeLink user. I have a proposal for a PC software extension though. It would be great if the software which can upgrade the firmware (PC side of things) could also be used to:

- Assign, store and restore a transmitter ID
- do the same thing with receivers, thus allows for an external kind of "binding".

The reason behind this request is that we sometimes do range test flights and since we are bound by law to have a spotter (or multiple spotters) within LOS, the spotter uses a second RangeLink tx and follows the plane maintainign LOS as a security backup and as mentioned to keep everything legal.

As mentioned, we sometimes have multiple spotters, and obviousely it's not economical to buy that many RangeLinks just for such rare occasions. If we bind the transmitters for all to have the same id, we have to redo an extended bind therafter and all involved people have to subsequently rebind all their receivers. The formentioned new feature would avoid this in that each individual could "back up" his ID before the event, and then restore it therafter.

What do you think? I think that should be pretty easy to implement, well it may even is and I don't know how to use it?

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Hi Sid

I have bought a range link.
I'm very satisfied with it.
Recently i flew 5 Km without OSD or RTH.

could you suggest me the most appropriate equipment to work with Range Link:

https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radi...try-3dr433.htm

or the 915 Mhz version:

https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radi...try-3dr915.htm

Of course, the 433 MHz can interfere with, but how much?
I think, the 915 version can be afected by the GSM cell phone net.

This product will transmit the telemetry from ardupilot APM2.
thanks

Olympio (from Brasil)
olympioneto is offline Find More Posts by olympioneto
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
433Mhz telemetry will severely reduce the range of your UHF RC Rx.
915 has the best chance of working.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:21 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlistairR View Post
Gday
already fixed right, Just upgrade your old tx and rx to the lastest fw.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:44 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieder2 View Post
Is anyone using the head tracker input on the RL with a fatshark head tracker? I can't get mine to work. I have the predators and the HT output is connected to the corresponding HT input and gnd on the RL tx. Servos don't respond on any channel. I'm initializing the HT per fatshark's directions. any one else get this to work? thanks
An Idea for testing the rangelink tx ht port works fine or not. Just connect the ppm wire to the tppm wire(short)(HT PORT). and then do the follow testing:
1.the pan & tilt on the last two channels,for example if your radio out 8ch ppm signal, so pan & tilt at ch7,ch8; Just put a servo on the ch8,
2.make the rangelink works at normal mode(high or low power mode);
3.check the ch8 ,if it do NOT works,so the rangelink tx ht port has an issue,
if it woks fine,and then disconnect the tppm wire with ppm wire. so it will stop working,if not ,the rangelink tx ht port has an issue.

if you confirmed that rangelink tx ,fault just email to me,if not check the connect wires with YOUR header tracker.

sorry for my poor english.

Sid
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:49 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
Hi Sid,

the Foxtech AIO Goggles worked correctly with my DX8. They have a menu that gives you the option of choosing the channels you want to use for pan/tilt, I selected channels 7 & 8. The goggles have a 4-pin connector: GND, VCC, PPM and HTPPM. The PPM pin is not used in the Spektrum cable that comes with the goggles (3.5mm audio plug) but it is used in the Futaba cable. This is the one I used to attach the goggles to RL, I get power on the goggles ok. I tried with and without the PPM pin and I couldn't get the servos in the RL RX to move.

Can you help? HT support with my DX8 was one of the main reasons I got the RL UHF. Am I supposed to select specific channels other than 7 & 8 for pan/tilt in my goggles to make it work? Does it matter? I tried 7&8, 5&6, 1&2 but none worked. Thanks!
check the pre posted.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:54 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympioneto View Post
Hi Sid

I have bought a range link.
I'm very satisfied with it.
Recently i flew 5 Km without OSD or RTH.

could you suggest me the most appropriate equipment to work with Range Link:

https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radi...try-3dr433.htm

or the 915 Mhz version:

https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radi...try-3dr915.htm

Of course, the 433 MHz can interfere with, but how much?
I think, the 915 version can be afected by the GSM cell phone net.

This product will transmit the telemetry from ardupilot APM2.
thanks

Olympio (from Brasil)
the same as Daemon's suggestion.

Sid
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:00 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Hi Sid,

As you know I'm a happy RangeLink user. I have a proposal for a PC software extension though. It would be great if the software which can upgrade the firmware (PC side of things) could also be used to:

- Assign, store and restore a transmitter ID
- do the same thing with receivers, thus allows for an external kind of "binding".

The reason behind this request is that we sometimes do range test flights and since we are bound by law to have a spotter (or multiple spotters) within LOS, the spotter uses a second RangeLink tx and follows the plane maintainign LOS as a security backup and as mentioned to keep everything legal.

As mentioned, we sometimes have multiple spotters, and obviousely it's not economical to buy that many RangeLinks just for such rare occasions. If we bind the transmitters for all to have the same id, we have to redo an extended bind therafter and all involved people have to subsequently rebind all their receivers. The formentioned new feature would avoid this in that each individual could "back up" his ID before the event, and then restore it therafter.

What do you think? I think that should be pretty easy to implement, well it may even is and I don't know how to use it?

Markus

thanks for your suggestion, it looks really useful for that situation.

Sid