SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Hello, I'd like to use X GYRO 1000 with RangeLink.
PROBLEM:
When I turn on the radio the gyro 1000 is blinking but if I move it I don't see the servo moving on the menu of the radio futaba 9 channel. The HT working well with his own port trainer.

This is the connection I did:
X GYRO 1000----HT port cable-----R/C port cable-----RangeLink

maybe I did a mistake to solder the cable, theese are the picture:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/img0003sl.jpg/
UP: plug of X GYRO 1000 (3 pin)
DOWN: HT port cable

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...g0005xetl.jpg/
the connection. I cut the blu cable. I put a white tape on the black cable solder with white cable.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/img0008utg.jpg/
a detail of the connection to RangeLink

What do you suggest to do?
Thank you
doc80 is offline Find More Posts by doc80
Last edited by doc80; Jul 07, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
If you have connected the X1000 to the head tracker port, the signal will not reach the futaba at all, rangelink uses the signal and transmits it directly to the receiver. it will appear on two channels as listed in the instructions,. hook up some servos to see if it works.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
It doesn't work. The servos don't move. I think a did a mistake to solder the GND cable with signal.
Look the picture, what do you think?
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
I looked at them but I can't tell which TX wire is connected to which on the X1000.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Ok, I changed the GND with signal and now work without push the switch to turn on the trainer.
But I am using a servo pan 360 degrees, it is a little bit dangerous becouse If I remove the goggle with thradtracker, thr servo could turn on itself more then 1 time so the cable of tilt go around the camera and it is very dangerous.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
My webshop is www.rangepiloting.com , so no need email for ordering.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Nov 2007
219 Posts
Rx Antenna

I have embedded the dragon link dipole antenna iny aircraft. Will this antenna work with the range link?

Thanks,
Ken
k5beason is online now Find More Posts by k5beason
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:32 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5beason View Post
I have embedded the dragon link dipole antenna iny aircraft. Will this antenna work with the range link?

Thanks,
Ken
of course ,works fine.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Reinstalled Rangelink in Twinstar with some improvement

Sid,

Finally re-installed the replacement Rangelink you sent me on my Twinstar with my 5.8 ghz 600mw vid transmitter and got 60 meters on the micromode rangetest. Then I flew out 2 miles for a test flight which was the maximum range of the 5.8 video transmitter.
Then I installed my 1.3 ghz video transmitter (transmitting on 1280). This is a 1000 mw transmitter and my micromode range test imediately dropped to 18-20 meters or less.
I think the 1.30 transmitter (1w) is too much power and is knocking down the range of the Rangelink.

Went back to the 5.8 vx and had several nice flights out past 2 miles. Then hooked up the RSSI into my Eagletree and it showed almost 99%. Flew this morning and had a lockout at less than 3000’. Right after I launched the RSSI dropped from 94% down to 60% very quickly. Had a major lock out and nearly crashed. Switched to high power and saved the plane,

Took the Twinstar home and performed advance bind and then set the failsalfe. Now the RSSI is up to 96% and my micromode ground test is getting almost 50 meters.
Trying to figure out why my RSSI dropped so much for no apparent reason. Any ideas?

One possiblity is that I’m using an 18” extension for the Rangelink receiver antenna so I can mount the antenna up on the vertical stabilizer. I’m using a GoPro but have the same problems when it is removed.
The 5.8 vid attenna is mounted less than a foot away and underneath the Rangelink rx antenna (see pic)

Thanks,

Mark
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,938 Posts
Generally if you see the RSSI drop immediately after launch, it's due to an antenna problem,
usually a disconnect.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Antenna seems fine at both ends
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:30 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
Sid,

Finally re-installed the replacement Rangelink you sent me on my Twinstar with my 5.8 ghz 600mw vid transmitter and got 60 meters on the micromode rangetest. Then I flew out 2 miles for a test flight which was the maximum range of the 5.8 video transmitter.
Then I installed my 1.3 ghz video transmitter (transmitting on 1280). This is a 1000 mw transmitter and my micromode range test imediately dropped to 18-20 meters or less.
I think the 1.30 transmitter (1w) is too much power and is knocking down the range of the Rangelink.

Went back to the 5.8 vx and had several nice flights out past 2 miles. Then hooked up the RSSI into my Eagletree and it showed almost 99%. Flew this morning and had a lockout at less than 3000. Right after I launched the RSSI dropped from 94% down to 60% very quickly. Had a major lock out and nearly crashed. Switched to high power and saved the plane,

Took the Twinstar home and performed advance bind and then set the failsalfe. Now the RSSI is up to 96% and my micromode ground test is getting almost 50 meters.
Trying to figure out why my RSSI dropped so much for no apparent reason. Any ideas?

One possiblity is that Im using an 18 extension for the Rangelink receiver antenna so I can mount the antenna up on the vertical stabilizer. Im using a GoPro but have the same problems when it is removed.
The 5.8 vid attenna is mounted less than a foot away and underneath the Rangelink rx antenna (see pic)

Thanks,

Mark
1.3ghz VTX's are known to affect LRS. Someone on FPV lab had success with adding ferrites on the wires by the video tx i believe.
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,938 Posts
1.3Ghz VTXs don't have that magnitude of effect. When I did a 30 mile ground range test
of Rangelink, I had my 1.3Ghz VTX powered the whole time. If the RSSI drops immediately
after launch, then something is broken or disconnected, and as I said above, the most likely
culprit is an antenna.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
1.3Ghz VTXs don't have that magnitude of effect. When I did a 30 mile ground range test
of Rangelink, I had my 1.3Ghz VTX powered the whole time. If the RSSI drops immediately
after launch, then something is broken or disconnected, and as I said above, the most likely
culprit is an antenna.

ian
I was more referring to this "5.8 ghz 600mw vid transmitter and got 60 meters on the micromode rangetest." and this "Then I installed my 1.3 ghz video transmitter (transmitting on 1280). This is a 1000 mw transmitter and my micromode range test imediately dropped to 18-20 meters or less."

Do you have a picture of how your VTX and LRS is set up when you do ground tests? Any special wiring(shielded,.....) on the vtx?

Thanks

Brett
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Couldn't concentrate on work so I kept working on this problem and finally decided to rearrange the entire layout. I moved the 1w 1280 vid transmitter out to the very end of the left wing and attached the stock antenna which tilts up or down. Temporarily laid the wiring from the transmitter on top of the wing back to the fuselage. Then I moved the Rangelink stock antenna out to the far end of the right wing and used an 18" antenna extension. Wired the Rangelink receiver to my FY-30 gyro and wired the 1280 vid transmitter to a small battery and the vid servo wire to the Eagletree and powered the whole thing up. Results: In micromode for the rangetest I now get 42 meters roughly. In normal low power mode the rangelink is holding at 98% for as far as I can walk away. (couple hundred yards on my street) A few days ago the 1280 1w vid transmitter knocked down my range test to 15 meters or less. The only question I now have is whether the 18" antenna extension will reduce my Rangelink reception very much.
I'll do a long range ground test soon so see if I can go a few miles downrange and see how the Rangelink and 1280 vid perform together.

So it seems to have been the distance between the rangelink and the 1280 1w transmitter. Originally it was a foot apart. Now close to 3 feet.