HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,660 Posts
No. The details of how to order are in sid's blog which is the link at the bottom of the first post
in this thread. I don't know of any retailers that have Rangelink.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2003
67 Posts
rangepiloting.com

Actually Sid responded and said that indeed this is his new website but it just being tested. I guess if figured that when I got order number 1.
swa2153 is offline Find More Posts by swa2153
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, WA, Duvall
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Sorry if this question has been asked, I'm guessing it has but I just couldn't find it.

The manual lists two different receiver settings for RSSI in the latest firmware; RF RSSI and link quality indicator but it doesn't do anything to explain the difference or when you'd use one over the other. Can someone explain the difference?

I'm currently seeing 2.1 - 3.0 in my OSD which I assume is traditional rf RSSI.

5 km, almost lost it (5 min 19 sec)

Thanks,

Aaron
AaronHartwell is offline Find More Posts by AaronHartwell
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Eccles
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
If I order today when I receive the rangelink ????
leszekjanik.lj is offline Find More Posts by leszekjanik.lj
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:25 AM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leszekjanik.lj View Post
If I order today when I receive the rangelink ????
Sid shipped mine the same day via EMS. I got it 7 days after ordering. Not bad for international shipping the the US.

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck View Post
Sid shipped mine the same day via EMS. I got it 7 days after ordering. Not bad for international shipping the the US.

Scott
+1, I ordered already 3 RL systems in total, and all deliveries were really fast in therms of Sid handling them, but also with effective shipping.

Sid does an outstanding job.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:08 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
+1, I ordered already 3 RL systems in total, and all deliveries were really fast in therms of Sid handling them, but also with effective shipping.

Sid does an outstanding job.

Markus
I guess flying one plane at a time isn't enough, is it Markus?

And yep, Sid does his part to keep his customers happy. No regrets whatsoever, as a UHF newbie.

Scott
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
Do UK customers get hit with customs?
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
;-)
Last edited by leszekjanik.lj; Jul 02, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:46 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but you need to give people time to respond. This is a forum. People aren't just sitting at home hitting refresh, hoping that they can answer everyone's questions immediately.

That being said, I can't help, as I am not in the UK. That would depend on what your government's customs regulations are. It is illegal to declare a value lower than that of what is actually being shipped, so check with your local laws on what you will be charged on $300ish.

This might be of interest...
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000014

Scott
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck View Post
I guess flying one plane at a time isn't enough, is it Markus?

And yep, Sid does his part to keep his customers happy. No regrets whatsoever, as a UHF newbie.

Scott
:-) :-) :-)

One was for my flybuddy, one is to be permanently mounted on the roof of my home using the same tx ID as the third one I use to go fly with.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHartwell View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked, I'm guessing it has but I just couldn't find it.

The manual lists two different receiver settings for RSSI in the latest firmware; RF RSSI and link quality indicator but it doesn't do anything to explain the difference or when you'd use one over the other. Can someone explain the difference?

I'm currently seeing 2.1 - 3.0 in my OSD which I assume is traditional rf RSSI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPcLEiQoikc

Thanks,

Aaron
Id love to know the answer to this also.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Id love to know the answer to this also.
I asked Sid this a couple weeks ago and his response was basically this.

Default setting is RF RSSI (RF Signal Strength)
The RSSI Quality is a packet loss indicator.

Basically he said it is personal preference since some want to know signal strength and want to know how many packets they are getting to the rx
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,660 Posts
Rf RSSI shows you true radio signal strength, but the Rx can still receive 100% of the packets
sent from the Tx down to a very low Rf RSSI value (e.g. 15-20%). If you use the packet based RSSI
then it will simply read 100% most of the time, and when you see it start to drop
you know you're losing packets, and probably very close to the edge of your range.
I'd rather have a more progressive indication of range, and see things like problems
with antennas and connectors and external interference, so I use Rf RSSI. But it
can be somewhat more distracting as you'll see it drop and rise while you're banking
and such, while full control is maintained.
When I originally range tested RL out to 30 miles on the ground, out at 25 miles,
I could hold the plane in one orientation and still get 100% packets (packet based RSSI showed 100%),
turn it so the antenna pointed at home, and it'd quickly drop to 50% then 0.
I tested DL with Rf RSSI over the same route, and I saw it drop progressively over the entire drive.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Rf RSSI shows you true radio signal strength, but the Rx can still receive 100% of the packets
sent from the Tx down to a very low Rf RSSI value (e.g. 15-20%). If you use the packet based RSSI
then it will simply read 100% most of the time, and when you see it start to drop
you know you're losing packets, and probably very close to the edge of your range.
I'd rather have a more progressive indication of range, and see things like problems
with antennas and connectors and external interference, so I use Rf RSSI. But it
can be somewhat more distracting as you'll see it drop and rise while you're banking
and such, while full control is maintained.
When I originally range tested RL out to 30 miles on the ground, out at 25 miles,
I could hold the plane in one orientation and still get 100% packets (packet based RSSI showed 100%),
turn it so the antenna pointed at home, and it'd quickly drop to 50% then 0.
I tested DL with Rf RSSI over the same route, and I saw it drop progressively over the entire drive.

ian
Looks like we were typing at the same time. This is a better explanation than mine. I also run true RSSI so it changes gradually as I near my limits.
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON