HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 03:40 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
987 Posts
Rangelink now has very short range

Here (attached) is a diagram showing my wiring output layout for my RL receiver.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
987 Posts

I'm using this Castle Creations UBEC
Old May 08, 2012, 03:46 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
Attached is the RL layout on my Twinstar, I can't see anything obvious that would be cutting down my range so severely.
Since the very setup used to work, I doubht that any of the components cause the trouble. Looks more like a defect to me, and the most likely component I would look at is the rx antenna. They are known to become loose if one tightens the SMA connector too much. It's an easy fix though. Without antenna, range will be seriousely affected, and it happens just the way you described it - all of a sudden.

Just my 2

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 08, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Since the very setup used to work, I doubht that any of the components cause the trouble. Looks more like a defect to me, and the most likely component I would look at is the rx antenna. They are known to become loose if one tightens the SMA connector too much. It's an easy fix though. Without antenna, range will be seriousely affected, and it happens just the way you described it - all of a sudden.

Just my 2

Markus
Interesting, I think you are on to something. I have another 433 mhz antenna from IBCrazy (unused so far) that I just screwed into the RL receiver and compared it to the stock antenna performing the rangetest in Micro mode.

RL with stock antenna: 10 paces
RL with X antenna (horizontally mounted): 19 paces.

So the X antenna is working better during the rangetest in Micro mode. I looked closely at the stock antenna cable where is joins the brass connector that threads onto the RL receiver and it looks like it has come loose somewhat, it is not nearly as firm a joint as the new and unused X antenna.

see pics below
Old May 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
987 Posts

pics below
Old May 08, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
987 Posts

This is the only way I can think of to install the X-antenna from IB crazy, take a look and let me know if you see any potential problems with this layout.

thanks,
Old May 08, 2012, 05:18 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
This is the only way I can think of to install the X-antenna from IB crazy, take a look and let me know if you see any potential problems with this layout.

thanks,
It not necesairly has to be the problem of the antenna itself but it could be of course. The original antenna uses a thinner type of coax cable, so what you observed in the picture does not have to be a bad spot - but it could. Sometimes it's just a problem with how the connector was crimped to the cable. HF is difficult in such regards at times. Again, also check the connector on the PCB. One part sometimes comes loose. You should find detailed information about this and how to fix it in either this or the ChainLink trhead.

Note that with Alex's turnstyle antenna, you have to set the transmitter antenna in a HORIZONTAL position and make sure it points towards the plane with its long side. Otherwise you would experiance a 12db hit in performance. The turnstyle antenna is a nice antenna especially for wings. You of course can use it the way you mounted it. Just be aware that the antenna oponnig side of the plane will have a range disadvantage. You should probably turn the plane such that the antnna will be closer to the tx if you are far out and fear range problems.

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 08, 2012, 05:53 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,113 Posts
If it's an Rx antenna problem, then putting it in micro-power mode and switching Rx antennas
should show you the problem pretty clearly. If switching antennas has no effect,
then it could be on the Tx end. I've had both a DL and RL Tx just quit putting out full power,
for no apparent reason. Powering up the Tx with no antenna might kill it, but I don't
think I did that.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
If it's an Rx antenna problem, then putting it in micro-power mode and switching Rx antennas
should show you the problem pretty clearly. If switching antennas has no effect,
then it could be on the Tx end. I've had both a DL and RL Tx just quit putting out full power,
for no apparent reason. Powering up the Tx with no antenna might kill it, but I don't
think I did that.

ian
Switching to the turntable antenna does help but only by 8 paces or 18-20 feet in micromode. I should be getting 20 to 70 meters in micro mode.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined May 2009
135 Posts
So would rangelink work with my Futaba T6EXP? It's the 72mhz version and the trainer
port puts out a ppm signal. I know he said it was tested on the T6EX but i'm not sure if that is a diffrent version or something. If there is a way I can hack the radio open to figure out if it works that would be helpful too!

I plan to power it with a separate lipo so no drain on the normal transmitter. I also have a lawmate receiver for video so I'm not worried.

ps: Would this work with a multicopter hobbyking kk board?? I have a tricopter that just hates 72mhz and need a UHF system that is reliable. My video is 2.4 so that's why

Any help would be great!
Thanks guys!
wrath90210 is offline Find More Posts by wrath90210
Old May 08, 2012, 06:50 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,113 Posts
Yes, just plug it in. Done.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined May 2009
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Yes, just plug it in. Done.

ian
Even the Hobbyking KK board ?
Because then all my problems will hopefully be solved haha
wrath90210 is offline Find More Posts by wrath90210
Old May 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
987 Posts
Quote:
Switching to the turntable antenna does help but only by 8 paces or 18-20 feet in micromode. I should be getting 20 to 70 meters in micro mode.
Going to test fly now. Here goes nothing.

Another interesting glitch, I rebound the RL using the advanced binding and then, using Eagletree, ran the servo/safety wizard. One of the steps involves shutting the radio off, in this case it would be the RL module that is plugged into the trainer port of my DX6i. When I unplugged the RL transmitter from its battery the motor kept running on the plane as if it never realized the RL had disconnected.
That seems like a pretty big problem.

Also, Eagletree is asking what type of receiver I'm using, either PCM w/failsafe or PPM /no failsafe. With the RL system which should I select?
Old May 08, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2006
212 Posts
anyone knows what type of the original RL rx antenna cable? It looks like rg316 but thinner and lighter. The stock rx antenna cable is too short to fix for mouting at the tail fin of my ezhawk. I would like to make a new one with longer cable.
Thanks.
tuongnhu is online now Find More Posts by tuongnhu
Old May 08, 2012, 10:04 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuongnhu View Post
anyone knows what type of the original RL rx antenna cable? It looks like rg316 but thinner and lighter. The stock rx antenna cable is too short to fix for mouting at the tail fin of my ezhawk. I would like to make a new one with longer cable.
Thanks.
RG178, I just ordered 50 feet from Ebay.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG