HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 08:01 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bak View Post
Can anyone help me get this RSSI sorted out to my OSD pro? I just bought the rangelink about 2 weeks ago, so I should have the new firmware right?

I measured around.5 volt (jumped a lot) out of the RSSI pin across ground with the TX off, and 3.28 volts with the TX on. So I connected the ground and signal(no v+) from the RX to the ground and center pin of temp 1 on my OSD pro. Changed the settings on osd menu to temp 1 rssi yes, calibrated and added it to my screen and changed name to signal......all i'm getting is 1%, no matter if my TX is on or off.

Anyone have any ideas? I calibrated using the "servo analysis wizard". Is this the same thing as the "safety wizard"??

Thanks!
check here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2296

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 08:11 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,870 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone help me get this RSSI sorted out to my OSD pro? I just bought the rangelink about 2 weeks ago, so I should have the new firmware right?

I measured around.5 volt (jumped a lot) out of the RSSI pin across ground with the TX off, and 3.28 volts with the TX on. So I connected the ground and signal(no v+) from the RX to the ground and center pin of temp 1 on my OSD pro. Changed the settings on osd menu to temp 1 rssi yes, calibrated and added it to my screen and changed name to signal......all i'm getting is 1%, no matter if my TX is on or off.

Anyone have any ideas? I calibrated using the "servo analysis wizard". Is this the same thing as the "safety wizard"??

Thanks!
Hey mate,

I'm getting RSSI in percentage, I'm connecting a single wire with ten wraps around a ferrite ring, running from the centre pin of my elogger temp1 port to the top (signal) pin on the rssi channel on my RL rx.

If you have selected this in the windows software then run the wizard again via the video feed in your goggles or screen and not on the pc.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old May 06, 2012, 08:27 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
433Mhz UHF frequencies can cause all manner of strangeness is various circuitry.
I hear it in the FM radio in my car, sometimes it messes with video receivers
(on their intermediate frequency) and video goggles directly.. etc. Best just to
keep em away, and in your case not let a 2nd antenna carry the signal inside.

ian
Yesterday I noticed the fading again, without an antenna on the 2.4Ghz module. I wonder how it would affect the Tx operation, I had a glitch in mid flight after that, the plane rolled and dived for a couple seconds, I don't know if it would be related.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old May 07, 2012, 03:11 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Rangelink now has very short range

Looking for some help tracing down a major problem with the range of my new Rangelink.
I'm using a Eagletree OSD w/E-logger, GPS, Guardian on a Twinstar II with the RSSI connected to the Temp1 input pin.
After I first installed the system my first flight went out 2.5 miles and was flawless. No failsafes or lockouts. The next day I flew out less than a mile and got repeated failsafes.
Per Sids advice I removed the RL system and mounted it on pegboard with an UBEC, servo, RL stock antenna and was able to get 35-40 paces in Micromode. (see attached picture)

Then I reinstalled the RL system in the plane without the Eagletree and was only able to get 10 paces or less before I lost connection in Micromode.

Any likely suspects that could cause this problem?
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Old May 07, 2012, 03:25 PM
FPV FTW
United States, TX, Brenham
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Have you tried not using that sma extension cable?
h0tr0d is offline Find More Posts by h0tr0d
Old May 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
[QUOTEHave you tried not using that sma extension cable?][/QUOTE]

I'll give it a try but I don't use the SMA extension on the plane. I only used it for my test to separate the antenna from any other potential source of interference.
Old May 07, 2012, 04:31 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
Same antenna on the board as the plane? It looks like it might have a kink in the coax just
behind the connector. But I'd focus on the usual sources of interference for UHF, such as noisy
cameras, and some switching voltage regulators. Usual way to diagnose is
power up the Rx alone, mounted in the plane. Then start adding individual components
until the range goes away.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
Not happy with my rangelink. I tested it today after "upgrading" from frsky two weeks ago. I'm loosing signal and going down in autoland in almost the same spot as my frsky. I went to 500mw switch, but I only got about 10 feet further, and then went down again! Video is still ok and usable through all of this. I'm using a 9x with the dipole antenna that came with it vertically mounted. I'm running this in the middle of a suburban area with probably plenty of RF noise. When I do a test in micro mode, I counted off 80 feet before I lose it. Does this sound right? I

I really hope I didn't just blow this money. Im running a 400mw Vtx 1.3ghz from readymade on the other end of my quad.

I'm going to try and make a video soon showing all of this.
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak
Old May 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
Was that 80 feet in micro-mode installed in the plane with everything else powered?
If so, that's perfectly normal. What camera are you using on the the plane?
You say it's an urban area. Any chance you're flying within a mile or so of a large digital
TV broadcast tower? Those are hell on UHF systems (and sometimes others).

I've done ground range tests with RL from one side of a major metropolitan area to the other 30 miles
away without issue. Whatever your problem is, is more likely to be a local source
of interference.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
30 miles!!!!! I'm not even getting a quarter of a mile!!!!! Is this with both the RX and Tx at ground level!!! I don't fly my quad above 10 feet very often. I get to the same spot as my frsky, and go down in failsafe mode. Pretty bummed out, I spent about four times as much on this UHF system. Like I said, I'll do a video real soon to show you both the frsky and rangelink are practically the same.

The 80 feet test in micro mode was done with the Vtx off.

I'm using the seawolf pixim camera,

no broadcast tv that I"m aware of. just a subdivision with houses and power lines
Last edited by jb_bak; May 07, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:50 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
That was 30 miles with Tx on a hill, and Rx inside my car in my FPV plane, with everything powered.
Power everything up (Rx, camera, video tx, ESCs, etc) and redo your micro-power mode test.
The PIXIM Seawolf is known to be quite RF noisy, so if it's very close to your UHF Rx
that is likely your problem. It's hard to get much physical separation on a quad, so you
may end up having to use a different camera to improve your range.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
Ohh ok, my PIXIM seawolf is causing the problem. I have a Sony 600tvl super had. Maybe I should swap it out and see if it helps any.
Old May 07, 2012, 08:21 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
Unfortunately that Sony has a similar Rf noise problem.
In general 5V cameras are less of a problem than 12V cameras (The RCV922 I use is noise free,
for instance), but there are some specific 12V cameras that are ok, like the SN555 and new
ones like the RangeVideo KX-6 (with addition of a ferrite ring on the wires coming out of
the camera, per http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...258778&page=26 )
You might try the ferrite ring on the two cameras you have and see what kind of improvement you can get.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; May 07, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 07:45 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
688 Posts
Quote:
30 miles!!!!! I'm not even getting a quarter of a mile!!!!! Is this with both the RX and Tx at ground level!!! I don't fly my quad above 10 feet very often. I get to the same spot as my frsky, and go down in failsafe mode. Pretty bummed out, I spent about four times as much on this UHF system. Like I said, I'll do a video real soon to show you both the frsky and rangelink are practically the same.

The 80 feet test in micro mode was done with the Vtx off.

I'm using the seawolf pixim camera,

no broadcast tv that I"m aware of. just a subdivision with houses and power lines
The advice you have been given is spot on. Be methodical about the troubleshooting, one component at a time. That said, did you do advance binding before flying? I know it's obvious but we have all missed the obvious. Good luck.
Steven
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old May 08, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Rangelink now has very short range

Attached is the RL layout on my Twinstar, I can't see anything obvious that would be cutting down my range so severely.