HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Jul 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
DL out to 12.3mi and TLRS to about 10mi but was my other test route, which likely has a higher noise floor. I still need to take RL that way. I've had the others on tonight's route testing in conjunction with other high noise components and I think RL compares favorably, which might give it the edge on the other route.

ian
Ok thanks ian wait for other tests
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
Setting fail safe in the air, i cant see any difference to doing it on the ground once trimmed and landed? Just add throttle as you would if it was in the air.

Unless its something you doe every few minutes to be over safe???
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tr0d View Post
Isn't that around the same location where it happened last time? Have you tried flying in the opposite direction? Just wondering if there's a powerful transmitter that direction.
Good idea also gonna try a different UBEC.
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
I'd love to know what the rssi voltage was out at 19miles or so, and at say 10 miles.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Btw Sid recommended rg174 if making an antenna. Is rg178 significantly worse? It's all they have locally.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid.huang View Post
rangelink tx close the the vrx, i will reduce the range... of course use the bpf for vrx ,i will improve the performance.

Sid

Thank you for the suggestion, will you be stocking these filters any time soon?

And how bout an update on the OSD?

Thanks
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
I think I'm done ground range testing this one.
Best of the night was 30.5 miles (49 km) from an overpass right at the airport (measured with GPS..
Google Earth says a bit longer, but I think it adds in ground distance, up and down hills). Best on
video is 28.something because I obviously couldn't stop on the overpass (contemplated
going to the upper deck of the parking garage, but not worth whatever they'd charge
me to spend 15 minutes there). RL Rx in my Skywalker with all gear powered
was thoroughly tested at 25 miles and seemed ok.

I've got a question for you sid. Does the RL Rx RSSI reflect Rf signal strength, or
is it a measure of packet loss? I ask because even 25 miles away it would indicate
100% RSSI on my display when it was happy (light blinking fast, smooth cycling of
the servos), and it sure seemed like it'd start to stutter a little any time the
RSSI went down. And when it did go down, it'd go down really fast.
If it was Rf signal strength, obviously one would expect to see it go down
progressively with distance.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jan 30, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:01 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, will you be stocking these filters any time soon?

And how bout an update on the OSD?

Thanks
>no, mate, if i wanna to sell wireless video system,maybe i will to buy some for resell.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:08 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
I think I'm done ground range testing this one.
Best of the night was 30.5 miles (49 km) from an overpass right at the airport. Best on
video is 28.something because I obviously couldn't stop on the overpass (contemplated
going to the upper deck of the parking garage, but not worth whatever they'd charge
me to spend 15 minutes there). RL Rx in my Skywalker was thoroughly tested
at 25 miles and seemed ok.

I've got a question for ya sid. Does the RL Rx RSSI reflect Rf signal strength, or
is it a measure of packet loss? I ask because even 25 miles away it would indicate
100% RSSI on my display when it was happy (light blinking fast, smooth cycling of
the servos), and it sure seemed like it'd start to stutter a little any time the
RSSI went down. And when it did go down, it'd go down really fast.

ian

Hi, Ian, many thanks for your testing report.
yes the rssi = packet rate. rangeOSD can be read the RSSI over uart port.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:44 AM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid.huang View Post
Hi, Ian, many thanks for your testing report.
yes the rssi = packet rate. rangeOSD can be read the RSSI over uart port.

Sid
As per your blog " 1: RSSI output function: Letís you know the receiver's signal strength during your flight when linked with an On Screen Display (OSD) that allows RSSI inputs. Many of todayís modern OSD units have this capability. "

Bit misleading if it is only a packet loss indicator.

Anyways, when will you have stock again?
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2009
805 Posts
Ian about your test confirm that the rangelink is most performant respect DL e Sherrer LRS?
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:56 PM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Still cant workout why im getting random failsafes!

Please check this video out, with the same plane i was getting 12km with Chainlink and perfect RSSI.

Amateur UAV now has nightvision (10 min 31 sec)
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo360 View Post
Ian about your test confirm that the rangelink is most performant respect DL e Sherrer LRS?
Note: I'm very specific about the context of my testing, so please don't generalize my results
into generic conclusions.

In my specific high Rf noise environment, I can confirm that RL outperforms my TSLRS
system on the ground range test. Keep in mind though, that TSLRS has been
used out 63km by R. Montiel in the air (.5W to 40km, 1W to 50km, and 2W with 6dB
antenna out to 63km) so it's fairly well proven.
I use TSLRS currently mostly because of the variable power switch, but have had some
really inconsistent performance at very close range that is hard to explain. I'll literally fly
5 miles out one day without a glitch, and get failsafes half a mile away the next. However,
the soon to ship TSLRS v6, includes both hardware and software changes that sound
like it may result in significant performance improvements.

I never ground range tested DL to its limit (stopped at 12.6 miles, running out of LoS
on the northern extent of my test route), so for all I know it might go just as far (I think
Mike said he went 25 miles with in the air once). I had various other issues with DL
that prevented me from using it much, and then it just conked out completely so I moved
on to test and fly other systems. My DL system is currently being updated/replaced so
maybe I'll drive straight out to the furthest point of my route above to see how it compares.

For whatever it's worth, I own and have range tested RmileC UHF on the same route
with its original stock antennas, as well as testing it near various Rf noisy components
(like the GoPro I fly with), and based on those results I've never put it in a plane and
likely never will. I think its Achilles heel is high sensitivity Rx combined with extended
frequency range and no input filtering at all, so it gets swamped by external Rfi really easily,
even when it's not in the 433Mhz band.

Note that all this range testing is not because I have any great desire to do
long range flights. It's generally just to see what kind of link budget margin I
have available. From the very beginning, all I've really wanted is 100% reliable control
in the 2-3 mile range while flying aggressively low, or flying near an urban area, etc.
So far, one of my biggest headaches has been some powerful external Rfi from DTV
broadcast towers which broadcast in the 470Mhz and up range. I am hoping that
the fact that the RL Rx has a SAW filter to narrow its view of the band, will help filter
out that nearby Rfi, and prevent it from getting swamped. So far RL system *seems* to
be more noise resistant to noise than the others, but won't know if it really
cures this specific problem until I get it in that airspace. All the other UHF systems I've
flown (TSLRS, DL, ezUHF) all get thrashed by that tower, even flying a couple miles away
from it.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cir2kuk View Post
Still cant workout why im getting random failsafes!

Please check this video out, with the same plane i was getting 12km with Chainlink and perfect RSSI.
Someone else from the UK recently mentioned he had an ezUHF system set to
work at 459Mhz, which got me looking at the UK bandplan. It sure looks like
433-434Mhz band is full of other stuff. While I can't explain difference between CL
and RL, I do wonder if you're just getting completely stepped on by the
primary users of the band.

Was your CL on exactly the same plane with exactly the same components? (no new
cameras, regulators, different ways to power stuff.. etc)

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
All the other UHF systems I've
flown (TSLRS, DL, ezUHF) all get thrashed by that tower, even flying a couple miles away
from it.

ian
Ian,

Did you ever range test eUHF? If so, how does it scale to RL?

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456