HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You mean meters, or ft? Thought you said 10-12 paces before.
im getting about 15 - 20 METERS on the ground in micro mode, but the problem im having is in the air with low RSSI in less than 1Km distance. can you offer some ideas to trouble shoot ?

PS - tried another RL Rx with one servo and Nicd - again no more than 20 meters in micro mode.

look here:
Video 34 22 דצמ 12, 17ש19 (11 min 15 sec)

sometimes the RSSI drops at 400-500 meters in 200mW mode.

look at time 02:35-02:55 in the video - RSSI dropouts with one time 550m distance 20% RSSI !

PS: i did test the RL Tx today with a spectrum analyzer and it does put out about 23dBm (200mW) in low mode and 27dBm (500mW) in high mode.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Last edited by i3dm; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid.huang View Post
Just to do high power mode ground range test to comfirm that RL has an issue.

Sid
can you explain this test and how do i do it ? what should be the results ?
EDIT: explained it by email - thanks Sid.
Last edited by i3dm; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Problem with my new Rangelink

I have been flying FPV for about the last two years with my Dragonlink V1 system with out a glitch.. I am actually happy with the system..

I figured an upgrade is in order...

So, after considerable thought I went with a Rangelink system Vs the Dragonlink V2 system because Sid gets his business done and done quick !!.. Mike from Dragonlink takes months to get his systems out.. Sid only takes a few days..

I purchased the the Rangelink system with the extra receiver..

I Installed my Rangelink no different than the Dragonlink..
Went to maiden with the Rangelink installed and what happened was my OSD (Eagletree) was going into in & out of Failsafe...Making the plane extremely hard to land.. It seems as though there was not a good link with the Rangelink TX and it's Rx.. I've done everything I could think of to try to correct the problem..

I finally took out the RX and put in the other RX that came with the system..
Still no change.. I still get an Intermittent link problem... System goes in & out of Failsafe..

I decided to re-install my Dragonlink system to see if there would be any difference..
The Dragonlink is working perfectly..!! no glitches.. I get a solid link..!

Sid... What should I do now..??

Michael
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,329 Posts
guys i need some input with the antenna, looking for a small one so that i can use it for my Quadcopter, can this one be use

http://www.flytron.com/antennas/104-...f-antenna.html

or i could do the sander style 433mhz antenna?
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
I have been flying FPV for about the last two years with my Dragonlink V1 system with out a glitch.. I am actually happy with the system..

I figured an upgrade is in order...

So, after considerable thought I went with a Rangelink system Vs the Dragonlink V2 system because Sid gets his business done and done quick !!.. Mike from Dragonlink takes months to get his systems out.. Sid only takes a few days..

I purchased the the Rangelink system with the extra receiver..

I Installed my Rangelink no different than the Dragonlink..
Went to maiden with the Rangelink installed and what happened was my OSD (Eagletree) was going into in & out of Failsafe...Making the plane extremely hard to land.. It seems as though there was not a good link with the Rangelink TX and it's Rx.. I've done everything I could think of to try to correct the problem..

I finally took out the RX and put in the other RX that came with the system..
Still no change.. I still get an Intermittent link problem... System goes in & out of Failsafe..

I decided to re-install my Dragonlink system to see if there would be any difference..
The Dragonlink is working perfectly..!! no glitches.. I get a solid link..!

Sid... What should I do now..??

Michael
Thats actually similar to my findings - ive had great success with Nova OSD and Rangelink on my bixler (sold) but on my current Skywalker i have an Eagletree too, and im getting failsafes / low RSSI after a short range.

Perhaps there is some sort of incompatiblity / interference problem between Rangelink and ET OSD or one of its components?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, VA, Madison Heights
Joined Aug 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
guys i need some input with the antenna, looking for a small one so that i can use it for my Quadcopter, can this one be use

http://www.flytron.com/antennas/104-...f-antenna.html

or i could do the sander style 433mhz antenna?
You could use that one but if it were me I would just build a sander style and be done with it.
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,535 Posts
readingback into this post i find A LOT of problems with the Eagle tree OSD combined with RL system. so perhaps we are missing something obvious here.

has anyone had any good expirience with the ET/RL combo ?
or did anyone figure out a real issue with Rl/ET combos ?
Last edited by i3dm; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
What problems?
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:21 AM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
readingback into this post i find A LOT of problems with the Eagle tree OSD combined with RL system. so perhaps we are missing something obvious here.

has anyone had any good expirience with the ET/RL combo ?
or did anyone figure out a real issue with Rl/ET combos ?
Problems between RL & ET ?? If this is the case then
those other people should come forward.. I have no intention of giving up my Rangelink.. Sid has a great product..
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,885 Posts
I use a Rangelink LRS with an EagleTree OSD/V3 Logger/v4 GPS setup with no issues. Works fine for me...

Also on my system: 5.8 Immersion RC 600mW vtx, GoPro Hero HD, Spironet antenna, stock Rangelink dipole. This is a multicopter installation.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON View Post
You could use that one but if it were me I would just build a sander style and be done with it.
thanks will do that gonna try to find a right angle sma tomorrow quite hard to get one locally here, ebay i might end up waiting for 3-4 week!
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
What problems?
i read quite a few reports of low RSSI / failsafes with ET, but it could always be a coincidence.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
I also fly ET OSD, eLogger v4, and RL with no problems.

Regarding ET fail safes, at one point I was experiencing random and very brief ET fail safes even when RSSI was > 90% (using signal strength, not packet loss). In my case, the fail safe was identified by a message indicating "RTH engaged: bad Rx pulse width detected". Reading through the ET thread, a number of other people have experienced the same issue with all UHF and radio manufacturers. Turns out the solution is to disable PCM glitch detection in the ET radio control setup menu (it is enabled by default). Problem solved (for me).

Regarding RSSI levels, consider the possibility that your RSSI scale is not properly calibrated. Be sure to read the ET OSD manual, and read it again for good measure to ensure properly configured RSI. After you are certain everything is configured per the manual, then make sure you are running only the signal wire from RL Rx RSSI output to the ET eLogger. When you're confident everything looks good, run the ET servo analysis wizard with your RL Tx on low power (not micro mode). The ET servo analysis wizard will calibrate the RSSI scale based on the data it collects when you run the servo analysis wizard. I've not experienced any issues with RSSI between RL and ET OSD.

You might also consult the ET OSD thread, as I've already diverged somewhat from the point of this thread.

Good luck!
wmartin is offline Find More Posts by wmartin
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:16 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin View Post

Regarding ET fail safes, at one point I was experiencing random and very brief ET fail safes even when RSSI was > 90% (using signal strength, not packet loss). In my case, the fail safe was identified by a message indicating "RTH engaged: bad Rx pulse width detected". Reading through the ET thread, a number of other people have experienced the same issue with all UHF and radio manufacturers. Turns out the solution is to disable PCM glitch detection in the ET radio control setup menu (it is enabled by default). Problem solved (for me).

Regarding RSSI levels, consider the possibility that your RSSI scale is not properly calibrated. Be sure to read the ET OSD manual, and read it again for good measure to ensure properly configured RSI. After you are certain everything is configured per the manual, then make sure you are running only the signal wire from RL Rx RSSI output to the ET eLogger. When you're confident everything looks good, run the ET servo analysis wizard with your RL Tx on low power (not micro mode). The ET servo analysis wizard will calibrate the RSSI scale based on the data it collects when you run the servo analysis wizard. I've not experienced any issues with RSSI between RL and ET OSD.

You might also consult the ET OSD thread, as I've already diverged somewhat from the point of this thread.

Good luck!
i have connected the RSSI ground and signal well, and did the servo analysis well.
ill look into the PCM option, but i dont think thats the case. as visible in my video my RL Rx would sometimes drop to 20% RSSI, and in my bixler it was usually always on 100%...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin View Post

Good luck!
thanks for your report.

To Mykro and i3dm just try this as wmartin said.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang