HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:38 PM
KISS
Serbia, Central Serbia, Belgrade
Joined Oct 2009
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Is this unit pretty much guaranteed to work out to at least 1km no matter how it is setup and what environment you fly in? Motors, escs, cameras, vtxs, etc all in close proximity?
So, if i turn off my tx antenna no, its not going to work. That's one of the "no matter how it is setup" options

A little bit impossible question to answer.
hefest is online now Find More Posts by hefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Is this unit pretty much guaranteed to work out to at least 1km no matter how it is setup and what environment you fly in? Motors, escs, cameras, vtxs, etc all in close proximity?
The short answer is. No. There are no guarantees.
The long answer is.. it depends. It is *always* possible to find certain components
which represent an RFi emitter so bad that it will cut the range of a typical UHF control system
to less than 1km. For instance an SN777 (aka KPC-VSN500) will do it, all by itself.
A combination of other components might do it as well, such as a PIXIM or WDR based
board camera or some of the cheap HD cameras plus noisy current sensor or switching
voltage regulator in close proximity to the UHF Rx and it's antenna. For the latter case, physical
separation and a little filtering may be all you need to get you the range you want. But this sort of
thing can be a real problem on a multi-rotor where you just can't provide the necessary physical separation.
In that case, it's better to just try to find low-noise components rather than fight with the noise.

What RL has, is a very usable micro-power mode, which will let you test whether any component
or combination of components is reducing your range.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 30, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,954 Posts
Thanks Daemon, good to know. You guessed it, a multirotor. I'm also unfamiliar with the local RF noise for the RL frequency, will need to check that Japan radio guide you linked me again when I'm on a PC. I'm still on the fence about whether to go RL or frsky from now on with my fpv build.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Just ordered a 2nd RL Rx and have been dealing with Sid thought my original purchase and setup. I just gotta say it's been a pleasure, His response and service is unmatched! Answers every question fast and to the point. Wish he sold ever thing I would ever need!
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Dec 2006
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Just ordered a 2nd RL Rx and have been dealing with Sid thought my original purchase and setup. I just gotta say it's been a pleasure, His response and service is unmatched! Answers every question fast and to the point. Wish he sold ever thing I would ever need!
I concur, both questions were answered within a few hours. Just wish I had thought to get the longer aerial as well!
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:01 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
381 Posts
Just tried plugging a rangelink into the trainer port of a non-module JR11X. I suspected it wouldnt work as the 11X ppm output is apparently less than 3.3V. When the rangelink tx powers up the red light on the top doesnt flash which i presume means no PPM signal is being received

I'm going to build an amplifier with around 5x gain to sit between the 11X trainer port output and the ppm input on the rangelink - unless anyone has a better idea?
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:58 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
Just tried plugging a rangelink into the trainer port of a non-module JR11X. I suspected it wouldnt work as the 11X ppm output is apparently less than 3.3V. When the rangelink tx powers up the red light on the top doesnt flash which i presume means no PPM signal is being received

I'm going to build an amplifier with around 5x gain to sit between the 11X trainer port output and the ppm input on the rangelink - unless anyone has a better idea?
I believe it is a pulse stream so not an amplifier but a comparator with the reference set at 2v and Vcc at 10v so output swings between 0v and Vcc.
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Dec 2006
656 Posts
Hi Sid what do think about this for in car fpv for those cold days?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160916733105
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:47 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
I believe it is a pulse stream so not an amplifier but a comparator with the reference set at 2v and Vcc at 10v so output swings between 0v and Vcc.
yeah that's a better idea, thanks
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:08 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,281 Posts
I've probably missed something or am just not thinking clear - can one bind the tx to two rx? I've been flying my bixler 2 using my one rangelink rx and was building my skywalker, installed the second rx, bound it, but when I got to the field with my bixler again, it has lost it's bind? Please tell me it's possible to fly two models without rebinding every time?
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:20 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,674 Posts
You probably did an advanced binding, which changes the Tx id.
You don't need to do that. Just a regular bind for as many Rx
as you want.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:32 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You probably did an advanced binding, which changes the Tx id.
You don't need to do that. Just a regular bind for as many Rx
as you want.

ian
I did just that! Thanks Ian. I'll try regular binding.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:22 AM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
728 Posts
Hi guys, my new rangelink should arrive any day now!
Quick question to those of you running rvosdv5 do I need to put a resistor on the rssi output of the rangelink ? Or am I reading correctly the latest version already has this ?
Really looking forward to replacing my chainlink and setting up ppm!
acky is offline Find More Posts by acky
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Hi, Sid!
Rangelink sold out((((((( When it in the stock again?
Tarasfn is offline Find More Posts by Tarasfn
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:13 AM
Start of next project = crash!
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
Hi guys, my new rangelink should arrive any day now!
Quick question to those of you running rvosdv5 do I need to put a resistor on the rssi output of the rangelink ? Or am I reading correctly the latest version already has this ?
Really looking forward to replacing my chainlink and setting up ppm!
Works fine as is. Be sure to follow the RVOSD setup instructions carefully and it will work like a champ.
CN I Dawg is online now Find More Posts by CN I Dawg